Considering the G8. Convince me.

VoodooMagnetman

May 24, 2017
Visit site
I think that it really comes down to personal preference when buying a new phone. I try out new phones and brands, but end up coming back to LG. Samsung phones are nice, but my experience with them, they always bog down after a while and I'm just not a fan of the curved edge screen. The pixel phones have a nice camera, but without SD card expansion and a headphone jack, I'm out.
I have had the LG G2, G4, V20 and the V30S in between Samsung and pixel phones and I have sold or returned the Samsung and pixel phones and always come back to LG.
I love the audio, hi-fi mics, quad DAC, wide angle camera, and just great ergonomics. LG phones are flexible and customizable. No matter the phone, I slap Nova launcher on it, and with LG, Mark Bencze has some really great customizable themes that are really awesome from the play store.
In the end, it really is a personal preference to what is most important to you as far as buying a new phone. Right now mine is LG.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I’ve been to 4 different Verizon stores here in Chicago and not one of them carries them in store. No display model and not in stock. Is it online only??

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I’ve been to 4 different Verizon stores here in Chicago and not one of them carries them in store. No display model and not in stock. Is it online only??

That's too bad! I know I had to hunt to find a display model as well (but I'm in Canada). I don't think it's online only in the US - hopefully someone will get back to you soon about that!

Blown 89

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Silver is beautiful too! How are you finding the camera?
I'm really digging the silver. Unfortunately I have it behind a paper thin case with some grip because the phone is slick.

As far as LG cameras go it's the best so far. The V40's stock app really crapped the bed compared to Gcam port but the G8 seems to have closed that gap a little. I dont cringe in fear of missimg the shot when I have to use the stock app like used to.

I took pictures of my son in mediocre indoor lighting this weekend and Gcam was flawless. The stock auto mode faired well but started blurring the details slightly. It wasn't bad but it wasn't as detailed as Gcam. I posted about this problem on the V40 forum when it released and it's definitely improved in the G8. All in all its a really good camera.

The stock HDR and AI modes were horrific and made my son look like a watercolor painting of blur. I haven't really tested HDR out in good light yet but reviews have me believing hdr will be pretty good in better light.

Video and audio recording are bonkers as usual. The front facing camera is miles better than the V40. Night mode is actually pretty good. Obviously nothing is going to touch the P30 Pro but LG did pretty well here. It isn't as great at bringing light to the scene as the pixel but the results are cleaner.

Casualballer

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site
I'm really digging the silver. Unfortunately I have it behind a paper thin case with some grip because the phone is slick.

As far as LG cameras go it's the best so far. The V40's stock app really crapped the bed compared to Gcam port but the G8 seems to have closed that gap a little. I dont cringe in fear of missimg the shot when I have to use the stock app like used to.

I took pictures of my son in mediocre indoor lighting this weekend and Gcam was flawless. The stock auto mode faired well but started blurring the details slightly. It wasn't bad but it wasn't as detailed as Gcam. I posted about this problem on the V40 forum when it released and it's definitely improved in the G8. All in all its a really good camera.

The stock HDR and AI modes were horrific and made my son look like a watercolor painting of blur. I haven't really tested HDR out in good light yet but reviews have me believing hdr will be pretty good in better light.

Video and audio recording are bonkers as usual. The front facing camera is miles better than the V40. Night mode is actually pretty good. Obviously nothing is going to touch the P30 Pro but LG did pretty well here. It isn't as great at bringing light to the scene as the pixel but the results are cleaner.

I keep on hearing about Gcam. If it's a copy of the Pixel software how does it work with the wide angle lens? Also just in general is it buggy or laggy?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for your detailed review of your experiences thus far! It's good to know that Night Mode is faring well and that taking quick shots are more flawless than on previous LG models.

Blown 89

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Gcam on the G8 runs pretty smooth actually. The version I found only works with the primary lens.
What version are you ruining? I'm using Arnovas 1.5 and it's working better than every other one I've tried with the exception of the night mode viewfinder. When it's Darrell the viewfinder freezes on the first position it sees. Strangely, that doesn't happen in good light

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
What version are you ruining? I'm using Arnovas 1.5 and it's working better than every other one I've tried with the exception of the night mode viewfinder. When it's Darrell the viewfinder freezes on the first position it sees. Strangely, that doesn't happen in good light

Im using build 1.3.03119.0645build-6.1.021

Casualballer

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site
Im using build 1.3.03119.0645build-6.1.021

How/where would I get the apk from? I'm pretty new to this. For years I was a whatever the phone comes out of the box is what I get and only recently have I dabbled in customization and non default alternatives.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante