RCS ("Advanced Messaging") on AT&T

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
re: RCS ("Advanced Messaging") on AT&T

Unless the carrier supports it on that particular model, nope. Also, you might have to use the stock messaging app to be able to use RCS (for instance, on Samsung phones you do) even if the carrier supports it.

x I'm tc

May 3, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the reply.

Is this an AT&T specific thing, because the default messaging app on Android supports RCS, and AT&T supports RCS? Other carriers let you BYOD and get RCS.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

It's a mixture of things, but yeah, mostly the carrier. And just like other carriers, RCS is not available on all devices, even though the network supports it. Google IS working on getting RCS out of the carriers and into their messaging app, but that's only been out for testing in the UK so far. But at least there's hope.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site

It's a mixture of things, but yeah, mostly the carrier. And just like other carriers, RCS is not available on all devices, even though the network supports it. Google IS working on getting RCS out of the carriers and into their messaging app, but that's only been out for testing in the UK so far. But at least there's hope.
And even then it is patchy in the UK. Two of my phones have it, my daughter has it but my husband on same model phone and same network doesn't have chat fully enabled. It works well though when you use chat messaging with other RCS users

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy