LG G8.. meh?

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile and had a chance to take advantage of the BOGO sale for LG phones right now so I got an LG G8 for me and my wife. I'm coming from the V30. Unfortunately for me... everything about the G8 just seems to be meh. Not saying it's a bad device, but I'm not really impressed. My almost two year old V30 has a more colorful screen. Sound is better. Battery is better. Idk why the screen hue looks dark and muddy. I have the same settings on both my V30 and G8 and the V30 looks way better. I don't mind the fact that the screen is the speaker, but the sound quality is not the greatest. Everything sounds muffled for the most part like your in a box.

Has anyone else had this feeling about the G8? All the latest and greatest specs are nice along with Android Pie... but really all I can say about this phone is meh. Am I the only one who feels this way? I'm half way tempted to just return it. I really wanted to just get the V40 since they had the BOGO... But for some reason, the idiots at T-Mobile thought it was a good idea to discontinue it in the middle of a bogo sale.

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm also on T-Mobile. Try Settings - Display - turn on True View and hdr. For sound, dts:x 3D Surround set to Wide. My V30+ screen was trash compared to my G8. Muddy, splotchy, white wasn't white. My G8 by comparison looks like one of Samsung's oled panels. The external sound is debatable. I like being able to hear even when I accidentally cover the bottom speaker.

Casualballer

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site
I think the phone gets a bad rap for some reason. It does everything I want it to do and more for a reasonable price (I got it via t-mobile as well). It may be that some of your issues come from not playing around with some of the settings. For example turn on the surround sound. Maybe boost the resolution of the screen and tweak the color settings etc. Play around a bit before you dismiss the phone. I have been very satisfied and I hope you will be as well.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I did all that. Doesn't look any or sound any better. This is on 80-100 brightness and high resolution. My V30 on 80 brightness looks better than the G8 on 100% brightness. That's how bad mine looks. I am having service issues as well. In certain places that I go which I had no issue with the V30, same carrier mind you, I barely have any with the G8. 4-5 bars with V30 and G8 1-2.

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
You don't happen to have comfort view on do you? It would change the color temperature of the screen and may lead you to think it's less accurate or less clear than the V30's screen.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I think the phone gets a bad rap for some reason. It does everything I want it to do and more for a reasonable price (I got it via t-mobile as well). It may be that some of your issues come from not playing around with some of the settings. For example turn on the surround sound. Maybe boost the resolution of the screen and tweak the color settings etc. Play around a bit before you dismiss the phone. I have been very satisfied and I hope you will be as well.

I also think this phone gets a bad rap. It does everything really well but I think their stock settings are a little blah. I adjusted the picture,sound and camera and it works great now. It's not so big that I have to use 2 hands to operate it and it has a flat screen hallelujah