LG G8... worth it for 400 dollars?

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I have been looking for a solution for my cracked screen LG V30 for awhile now. I thought about trying out buying another V30 since you can still get them brand new for 260 dollars via amazon. But I noticed they also have the G8 for 400 brand new as well which is a pretty good deal for a latest and greatest device only coming out this year. I did try it out awhile back and returned it since it was part of a bogo deal that didn't fair well since my wife had one and didn't like hers. My two biggest gripes were the battery life and the speaker quality. Do you think using a screen protector muffles the speaker screen? It just wasn't that great or loud. But now that I'm looking for another device.. that seems like a great deal for a 2019 flagship smart phone brand new. I also tried out the S10 recently and will be returning it as I'm just not impressed with it long term. Especially not impressed with it for 960 dollars. Definitely more into LG devices as that's what my previous two phones were the G6 and V30. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

younger996

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I think it is worth 400 bucks when you look at what the competition costs.
The QHD screen is fantastic, the camera is fantastic, the build quality is fantastic.

This Face unlock is brilliant, very secure and works in the dark.
When you consider the level of tech on the phone......it's actually a bargain!

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I just bought a truly mint used one @ $260. Spectacular deal on a great phone. It replaced a V30 which I also love & kept as a spare.

Casualballer

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site
I have been looking for a solution for my cracked screen LG V30 for awhile now. I thought about trying out buying another V30 since you can still get them brand new for 260 dollars via amazon. But I noticed they also have the G8 for 400 brand new as well which is a pretty good deal for a latest and greatest device only coming out this year. I did try it out awhile back and returned it since it was part of a bogo deal that didn't fair well since my wife had one and didn't like hers. My two biggest gripes were the battery life and the speaker quality. Do you think using a screen protector muffles the speaker screen? It just wasn't that great or loud. But now that I'm looking for another device.. that seems like a great deal for a 2019 flagship smart phone brand new. I also tried out the S10 recently and will be returning it as I'm just not impressed with it long term. Especially not impressed with it for 960 dollars. Definitely more into LG devices as that's what my previous two phones were the G6 and V30. What do you guys think?

100 percent worth it. I bought it for 600 (before taxes and activation fees) 6 months ago and have been very happy with it. For 400 it's a steal.
Just think about what you get for a 400 dollar midrange phone and compare it to the G8. In every category, the G8 is significantly better. Screen qualoty/resolution, ip rating, wireless charging, Quad DAC, the list goes on and on. I definitely recommend it.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
It's a flagship phone at a non flagship price. At $400 your in budget territory and the G8 compares very well to other flagships. It smokes budget phones.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Went to best buy to check out this phone yesterday. I wanted to like this phone. Just wasn't feeling it. It seems on all models of the G8 I've seen, the screen isn't very bright and is more muddy looking in comparison to other phones I've used/seen. It also almost seems as if the screen as an extra extra sharp contrast that looks weird IMO. Not a fan of the sound either. Sounds muffled even with the different settings on. But, that's just me. I found a Note 9 deal for 400 dollars more so I'm gonna try that out. If that doesn't work, I'm back to square one lol The three other Samsung devices I've tried in the past two years I haven't been impressed with long time. Note 8, S9 + and regular S10.

younger996

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Have you gone to screen settings and switched the resolution up to the max.....QHD.
They come out of the box with FHD resolution.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I had the s9+ before the G8, and compared the screens brightness for video wathcing. The G8 actually got brighter.I had them side by side outdoors, and could see the G8 quite a bit better the the S9 plus.

younger996

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
There are quite a few ebay sellers doing carrier specific G8 ThinQ (unlocked) for around $300
I think most of them are ex-display or demo models, maybe even unsold overstock.

younger996

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I just got a AT&T model for $300

However, I can't recommend buying these carrier models (unlocked or not) if you are buying and using them outside of the USA

In my opinion and in hindsight......the extra money on the international versions would be well spent.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt