I want to install my favorite game which is 800mb but my free phone memory was 400mb. I want to install it to in the SD but it can't, there is no "preferred storage location" option in the the storage setting. I don't want to root my cellphone. Is there any way that I can use my external memory SD to run application? How? Is there a patch or something to have this option? -thanks
    07-08-2015 12:40 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! There isn't any way to download and install an app directly to the microSD card--it has to install first to Internal Storage. If the phone has the ability to move an app to SD, then this can be done after it has installed to Internal Storage--but it's only a portion of the app that's moved.

This is why I recommend getting a phone with as much internal storage as you can afford. MicroSD cards do little to increase the ability to install lots of apps or big apps.
    SpookDroid likes this.
    07-08-2015 01:29 PM
    You can, in theory, root your phone and apply a 'patch' to trick your phone into thinking that the SD card is part of your internal memory... but honestly, I really advise against it. SD cards are flaky, not the best performers for read/write operations and it will just be a PITA for your apps if you unmount your SD card for any reason.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-08-2015 01:31 PM
    Okay here's the deal. You may not change install location with most of lg's low-end phones.
    The reason is kind of stupid. Instead of having separate partitions for appdata/userdata, they have one large partition and emulate an sdcard inside of it. The problem begins when you 'move to sd' and it never even moved partitions. It literally just compresses the data and stores it in /mnt/asec.
    webster dominique likes this.
    07-09-2015 09:05 AM
    Thanks. So it is inevitable to root if you want to install apps to SD. But I'm hoping there is another solution for this. Maybe updates or something
    07-09-2015 10:56 AM
    Sorry, but there is no update that will change this issue. Rooting will be your only option, then using an app like App Mgr III or Link2SD.
    SpookDroid likes this.
    07-09-2015 01:24 PM
    Okay here's the deal. You may not change install location with most of lg's low-end phones.
    The reason is kind of stupid. Instead of having separate partitions for appdata/userdata, they have one large partition and emulate an sdcard inside of it. The problem begins when you 'move to sd' and it never even moved partitions. It literally just compresses the data and stores it in /mnt/asec.
    So how can this be fixed, is it a matter of mounts, can the ramdisk be edited to allow for 'better' working apps to SD. I just pulled mine on LG volt and will repack and crazily flash with Rashr,
    HELP!! -
    Serious help, can anyone help me remedy the problem if possible. boot.img is mmcblk0p16. Unpacked with MMM tools. I cant access external sd card at /sdcard. Its at /storage/external_SD. Can i make n delete entry to fix?

I'll be editing this post.
    08-11-2015 03:59 PM