Problem with my Optimus networking

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'll post here because I think the Optimus Black is closest to what I have, which is the LG Optimus Bright, sold by NTT Docomo in Japan.

I bought it over a year ago for web app testing, no carrier contract, just wi-fi use. It had been working fine until the other day.

After recharging the 4 GB microSD card reports as damaged, so I removed it.

The main problem is that even though I can connect to my home wi-fi:

Signal strength: Excellent
Link speed: 64 Mbps

if I try to go anywhere I get a network error. So YouTube, the browser, etc., all don't work.

I rebooted, but can't think of anything else to try. It is currently running 2.3.3, which I think is the highest possible for this device.

Is the problem related to the failed SD card?

Should I try a re-initialize to factory settings? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks,

doug

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't imagine a failing SD card would prevent you from connecting to wifi. Try the following, if you haven't already:

1. On your phone, select your wifi network and "Forget" it. Then reconnect, enter the password, and see if that work.
2. Reboot your router--unplug the power for 10 seconds, then plug it back in and wait 20-30 seconds for the connection to reestablish.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I can't imagine a failing SD card would prevent you from connecting to wifi. Try the following, if you haven't already:

1. On your phone, select your wifi network and "Forget" it. Then reconnect, enter the password, and see if that work.
2. Reboot your router--unplug the power for 10 seconds, then plug it back in and wait 20-30 seconds for the connection to reestablish.

The router is ok, I believe, because my computer, Nexus 7, iPhone and iPad all connect fine.

I did what you suggested about the network. Nothing changed, but I did notice that the BROWSER is working and I can connect to web sites. The USA Today app is also working. But YouTube, Gmail and Evernote give "no network" errors.

I wonder what is happening. Could the apps with connection fails need some info that is on the damaged SD card?

doug

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I doubt that the apps would need something on the SD card, because they shouldn't store anything there. It wouldn't be good design for an app to store crucial info on a removable piece of memory. If you haven't tried, it is still worth rebooting the router, even though your other devices work. It's happened to me before where one device selectively can't seem to connect.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I doubt that the apps would need something on the SD card, because they shouldn't store anything there. It wouldn't be good design for an app to store crucial info on a removable piece of memory. If you haven't tried, it is still worth rebooting the router, even though your other devices work. It's happened to me before where one device selectively can't seem to connect.

OK. I just rebooted the router. Still the same.

I don't know if the info on the memory card is crucial for the apps, but it does include files like:

com.dropbox.android
com.evernote
com.google.android.youtube

etc. Also, if I try to start DropBox it warns that it won't work right with the card.

The Play Market is also not working.

doug

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, interesting. Well in that case, consider the advice I gave in your other post, about copying all of those files over to your computer, reformatting your SD, copying the files back to the SD, and reinserting into your phone. You might also want to get a new SD card, because these things can start to fail over time.