Rooting, Unlocking, Adding a new sim (in Italy)! Is it possible? Please help!

Emily Stibbe

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I'm fairly new to rooting, unlocking, etc., so please bear with me!

I recently moved to Italy and am trying to figure out a way I can keep using my Virgin Mobile LG Optimus Elite. The last time I moved abroad, I unlocked (using a code I bought online) and added a new SIM to my Samsung Propel, no problem. Even though the Optimus Elite is a smartphone and a lot more complicated, I had hoped I'd eventually be able to do the same to it.

However... is it even possible?

1. My phone is unable to connect to any networks over here (what normally is supposed to happen when this phone leaves the States). It does however connect to wifi... meaning, while Browser works, any other apps (such as Google Play Store) don't function. Because they don't, does this mean I'll even be able to root it? Would following the steps listed here (http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...7329-rooting-your-optimus-elite-easy-way.html) for example, even be possible since I can't download the Super User app from the Play Store? Are there any other ways to root it or get around this?

2. Is rooting my phone even necessary, if all I want to do is add a new SIM? Say if I add a Vodafone SIM from here, would that resolve the app-not-functioning issue, since it wouldn't be my old Virgin Mobile SIM that's out of bounds? Or is this not related to the SIM card at all?

3. Is it even possible to add a new SIM card to this phone? I can't even tell if the thing even uses a SIM card! On a website that listed the details of the Optiums Elite, it says it takes a mini SIM, so I assume that somewhere buried in it there's a SIM card. Opening the back cover, I can clearly see the SD Card and the CDMA sticker... I've been trying to figure out the difference between these things and the SIM, but all I can tell so far is that the SD is for memory (not related to the SIM even though it's shaped kind of like it) and still don't really know what the CDMA means. Online sources make it sound like phone either use CDMA or a SIM card. If there isn't a SIM card somewhere underneath the nailed interior (which I still have yet to open), what is it in the Optimus Elite that acts as an equivalent? Would it be possible to get a 'CDMA card' if needed here so the phone wouldwork?

4. What would you recommend doing if you were me and wanted to get your LG Optimus Elite working with an Italian number? Is there anything I can do at all?

Thanks for your patience with my lack of experience in this kind of thing! Any advice is much appreciated!

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
First and foremost, see if the phone even takes SIM cards. It would only do that if it was a world phone since VM is a CDMA carrier (no SIM cards). Can you take the battery cover off and remove the battery? If so, take a look and see if there's a SIM slot back there.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc