How to "root" your Optimus G Pro AT&T

idle0095

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
How to "root" your Optimus G Pro AT&T

How to "root" your Optimus G Pro AT&T ONLY
This does work great. It will allow root.

1. (Optional if you have another means of un-RARing) Download and install 7-zip from here. You need this to open certain types of archives (specifically .rar, but you might also want to open .tar, .bz2, or other types of archives in the future). This program is supremely awesome in its ability to open almost any archive you throw at it. It's also unobtrusive and efficient.
2. Download and install LG USB Drivers from here. Without these drivers, your computer won't be able to effectively communicate with your phone. This is vital for the steps we will be taking.
3. Enable USB debugging by going to Settings->(General)->Developer options" and checking the box next to "USB debugging." You will get warnings. You can probably ignore them. This setting will allow you to run commands on your phone from your computer (via USB). For more info on the Android Debug Bridge, click here.
4. Download and extract (using 7-zip (or whatever)) the root exploit from here.
5. Connect your phone to the computer with your USB cable.
6. Put the phone into "Charge Only" mode at Settings->General->PC connection->USB connection type
7. Open CurrentRoot.bat and follow its prompts. You will need to change from "Charge Only" to "Media sync (MTP)" mode. The setting is in the same place.
8. Run SuperSU (now in your apps drawer) it and make sure it works. This program allows others to gain access to superuser privileges. For more info on rooting and what kind of stuff it lets you do, click here and/or use Google.

Thanks to XDA User carrett for this.

- - - Updated - - -

RESERVED

tigaseen

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to "root" your Optimus G Pro AT&T

Guys what is.the advantage of.rooting, they say it.voids.warranty? Keep pressing "." Im new at android

Posted via Android Central App

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Rooting has a few advantages, one it allows you access to the root system (of course) but primarily it allows you to run apps and have control of the device to do things the carrier and OEM don't want you to have. Rooting can allow you to run AdBlocker Plus which is something I like to do. Rooting is also necessary for when the method to unlock the bootloader comes along and then you can run custom ROM's or a more optimized version of the stock ROM minus bloatware. You can also permanently remove or disable bloatware with Titanium BackUp.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

There's a method to remove the QSlide bar from the notification shade completely, but it requires root.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I still need to get mine rooted, my only hold up is wanting to know how easy it is to flash back to unrooted state for warranty or resale purposes (down the road) not everyone knows or understands rooting and I always return my phones to stock to make a buyers life easier :)

buffhp31

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Is there any way to reflash a stock rom, returning back to original setup? Do you need the bootloader unlocked to return to stock mode? I would hate to soft brick in rooted setup and not be able to get myself out by returning to stock....

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site

How to "root" your Optimus G Pro AT&T ONLY

3. Enable USB debugging by going to Settings->(General)->Developer options" and checking the box next to "USB debugging." You will get warnings. You can probably ignore them. This setting will allow you to run commands on your phone from your computer (via USB). For more info on the Android Debug Bridge, click here.

The icon for "USB debugging" is blanked out, not possible to select it.

7. Open CurrentRoot.bat and follow its prompts. You will need to change from "Charge Only" to "Media sync (MTP)" mode. The setting is in the same place.

Where do I find this CurrentRoot.bat? You assume it just there? No instructions given. Do I run on the phone, or on the PC, and how I get it there? This is clear as mud.

8. Run SuperSU (now in your apps drawer) it and make sure it works. This program allows others to gain access to superuser privileges. For more info on rooting and what kind of stuff it lets you do, click here and/or use Google.

You mean the apps "drawer" on the phone? Need to add more instructions and be specific.

RESERVED

chrisngrod

Sep 5, 2010
www.mycricketforum.com

He doesn't really NEED to do anything. He could have just not posted this, and replies like that make people not want to lift a finger for another person.

What did you think he meant? The apps drawer in your filing cabinet? Just not catching on here I guess.

In the 4th post I made a video. I guess you can let me know what I need to do now as well.

</rant>

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to &quot;root&quot; your Optimus G Pro AT&amp;T

Lets keep it nice, guys. Be appreciative that people are kind enough to make guides for others, and if there is something they need to improve on, be polite about it. Send them a pm with a little constructive criticism.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site

I am trying to do this and I got stuck on step 7. I cannot find CurrentRoot.bat.

dmw123

May 31, 2013
Visit site

When I extracted the exploit file into my root folder, I found the Currentroot file, but it did not say currentroot.bat after I clicked on currentroot.bat it asked me if I had extracted it and if I wanted to. However that did not work, being that the file was already extracted. I don't think these are good instructions, even after you said you did that before work in a rish :(

-Really needs to work on better directions-

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site

when I run CurrentRoot.bat, it says:
connecting to device
and just hangs there forever.

I think it has something to do with me being unable to select the icon for "USB debugging" -- it is blanked out, not possible to select it.

EDIT:
TO enable to USB Debugging, disconnect the USB cord... it cannot make that change while connected!

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site

It worked, finally, on the 5th try. I used a rootchecker program to confirm. You have to put it back in the charge only mode for the .BAT script to work.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

Just got mine today (had to wait for today for my renewal pricing). Already got it rooted, and hacked out the QSlide bar. Makes a HUGE difference.

dmw123

May 31, 2013
Visit site

I am re-replying to this thread again because, I don't think that I replied in a coherent and understandable way. So, basically I downloaded the drivers, I already had the 7zip program so I just upgraded it to the current version, and I also downloaded the root exploit. Alright as I was following along to the directions, when I reached step 7 and I looked for the currentroot.bat download I found it. But it didn't appear the way it did in the video. It simply showed CurrentRoot. Which I found to be strange, however when I took a quick look at it's properties it then showed CurrentRoot.bat. Well when I clicked on the CurrentRoot file it did not open up the command box like in the video. It told me that "this application may depend on other compressed files in this folder" And "If this application to run smoothly it is recommended that you extract all files" So, from that point on it seem to be the only problem that I was having. I really loath bloatware and I have been trying my hardest to figure this little situation out. So if someone is willing to reply to this message I would be very thank full :)
Have a nice night.