Out of curiosity, since I paid full retail for my LGOG Pro, I gave AT&T customer service a call and asked them if they could unlock my phone for travel abroad. The first question the rep asked was if this was an iPhone. I told him that it was not and he immediately asked for the IMEI number. Never once did he ask for my account number (which I don't have since I use Straight Talk w/ AT&T), nor did he ask if I bought the phone at full retail either. It took him about 10 seconds and he provided me the 16 digit unlock code. I had a T-Mobile hotspot with me, so I swapped sim cards and entered the code when I received the network lock prompt. Another 5 seconds and the unlock success messaged showed, then the phone rebooted and everything is good. I was quite impressed on how easy the whole process was and that I didn't have to yell at them to get it done.

Picture below for proof...

05-13-2013 12:14 PM
    Out of curiosity, since I paid full retail for my LGOG Pro, I gave AT&T customer service a call and asked them if they could unlock my phone for travel abroad. The first question the rep asked was if this was an iPhone. I told him that it was not and he immediately asked for the IMEI number. Never once did he ask for my account number (which I don't have since I use Straight Talk w/ AT&T), nor did he ask if I bought the phone at full retail either. It took him about 10 seconds and he provided me the 16 digit unlock code. I had a T-Mobile hotspot with me, so I swapped sim cards and entered the code when I received the network lock prompt. Another 5 seconds and the unlock success messaged showed, then the phone rebooted and everything is good. I was quite impressed on how easy the whole process was and that I didn't have to yell at them to get it done.

Picture below for proof...

http://www.vyff.net/unlocked.png
    That's good to hear... I might have to do the same.... quick question, what weather widget is that??

Sent from my LG-E980 using Android Central Forums
    05-13-2013 12:17 PM
    Good to know.
    05-13-2013 12:25 PM
    That's good to hear... I might have to do the same.... quick question, what weather widget is that??

Sent from my LG-E980 using Android Central Forums
    Both of the weather widgets on the home screen are from Palmary Weather Premium.
    05-13-2013 01:17 PM
    Usually at&t wont deny the code. They always unlock my phone even before I upgrade to a new one. My current Note II is unlocked right now.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Android Central Forums
    05-13-2013 01:20 PM
    The new method requires you facing in a copy of you receipt showing you paid no commitment pricing.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2
    05-13-2013 02:33 PM
    The new method requires you facing in a copy of you receipt showing you paid no commitment pricing.

I actually tried doing that over the weekend before I called customer service this morning, but they declined my request even though I provided my receipt showing I paid full price.
    05-13-2013 06:22 PM
    I actually tried doing that over the weekend before I called customer service this morning, but they declined my request even though I provided my receipt showing I paid full price.
    Ah dang it that sucks. May have to return it if it's useless in my next deployment.

05-14-2013 03:31 AM
    Ah dang it that sucks. May have to return it if it's useless in my next deployment.

Nope, you should be ok if you call customer service. I first tried the online submission and faxing them my receipt for proof, but that was declined. Then I called customer service and had absolutely no problem getting them to provide the unlock code.
    05GT likes this.
    05-14-2013 09:13 PM
    i'm confused. How did you buy this? I tried but AT&T wouldn't sell a device WITHOUT an active account number. Also, you said you have Straight Talk with AT&T, do you also have Straight Talk with Tmobile? I'm dying to do this too, i got mine on contract (being delivered today) becuase i didnt want to jack around with the Int'l version and their crazy frequency bands, tried to buy one outright from AT&T no store OR online would sell it to me. I STILL have my ATT/Straight Talk SIM so if there's a way i can accomplish this, please share : ) Also, do you only get Edge with T-Mobile? Their Truly unlimited for 70 bucks a month is a great deal if T-Mo is good in your area....I thought EVEN if unlocked ONLY AT&T's bands would work in this phone... Your post has TOTALLY confoozled me... lol (But CONGRATS nonetheless!)

Ty!

BTC

To Recap:

#1 How did you buy outright from ATT?
    #2 Are you getting only Edge speeds on TMobile?
    #3 Are the bands on this phone work on either T-Mo ( i know no LTE for T-Mo but do you get 3G or HSPA+)?
    #4 How do i accomplish EXACTLY what you did without losing my mind? lol (I could always NOW buy a phone from them and tell them its going to be a wi-fi only since i NOW do have an acct and then cancel contract within 14 days... i am sure they wouldn't demand their 2nd phone back, but doing that depends on the answers you provide : )
    #5 And when i use my ST/ AT&T card i have issues sending MMS, no matter what APN settings i use. Have you tried sending MMS with your AT-ST Card in the phone? How about the T-Mo One?

(Sorry for so many questions but your the FIRST person i have seen successfully do this : )
    05-15-2013 01:48 PM

I would suspect AT&T would be more willing to help a member of our military going on deployment than say a new contracted phone for someone not going overseas. I mean you are still paying for the phone to be on the account just using an oversees SIM.
    05-15-2013 03:19 PM
    Crazy AT&T sales people. What about buying full retail at Amazon.com or BestBuy or won't that matter with trying to get an unlock code.
    05-15-2013 03:24 PM
    i'm confused. How did you buy this? I tried but AT&T wouldn't sell a device WITHOUT an active account number. Also, you said you have Straight Talk with AT&T, do you also have Straight Talk with Tmobile? I'm dying to do this too, i got mine on contract (being delivered today) becuase i didnt want to jack around with the Int'l version and their crazy frequency bands, tried to buy one outright from AT&T no store OR online would sell it to me. I STILL have my ATT/Straight Talk SIM so if there's a way i can accomplish this, please share : ) Also, do you only get Edge with T-Mobile? Their Truly unlimited for 70 bucks a month is a great deal if T-Mo is good in your area....I thought EVEN if unlocked ONLY AT&T's bands would work in this phone... Your post has TOTALLY confoozled me... lol (But CONGRATS nonetheless!)

Ty!

BTC

To Recap:

#1 How did you buy outright from ATT?
    #2 Are you getting only Edge speeds on TMobile?
    #3 Are the bands on this phone work on either T-Mo ( i know no LTE for T-Mo but do you get 3G or HSPA+)?
    #4 How do i accomplish EXACTLY what you did without losing my mind? lol (I could always NOW buy a phone from them and tell them its going to be a wi-fi only since i NOW do have an acct and then cancel contract within 14 days... i am sure they wouldn't demand their 2nd phone back, but doing that depends on the answers you provide : )
    #5 And when i use my ST/ AT&T card i have issues sending MMS, no matter what APN settings i use. Have you tried sending MMS with your AT-ST Card in the phone? How about the T-Mo One?

(Sorry for so many questions but your the FIRST person i have seen successfully do this : )
    #1: Walked into a corporate AT&T store and just told them I wanted to buy the phone at full retail price without service. No push back from the sales rep on not getting a service contract.
    #2: I pulled the T-Mobile sim card from my hotspot so I was only able to verify that the phone unlocked and I could load several websites before I swapped back to my ST AT&T sim. Sorry, I didn't run any speed tests.
    #3: Not entirely sure on this one, but it has the same bands as my AT&T Galaxy Note (i717) which I was running on ST T-Mo and getting 12-14 mbps down and 2.5 mbps up. On ST AT&T, I consistently get 5-7 mbps down, 1 mbps up with the Note and my LGOG Pro.
    #4: Well, the push back from your AT&T store is interesting. Might try going back in and seeing if another rep gives you hassle about buying outright without service. As long as you can get the phone, call up customer service and let them know you are planning on traveling to Europe and would like the phone unlocked so you can use a local cell provider while overseas. Hopefully they just ask for your IMEI number and then provide your unlock code.
    #5: I had a ST T-Mo sim for a while and now use my ST AT&T sim. The only issue I ever had with MMS was that Verizon had the number I was issued blacklisted. The ST rep opened up and ticket and T-Mo got Verizon to remove my number from their list. Since then, I have not had any issues with sending messages from either ST T-Mo or ST AT&T. Just gotta make sure you use the proper APN settings depending on which service you are using.
    05-15-2013 10:43 PM
    #1: Walked into a corporate AT&T store and just told them I wanted to buy the phone at full retail price without service. No push back from the sales rep on not getting a service contract.
    #2: I pulled the T-Mobile sim card from my hotspot so I was only able to verify that the phone unlocked and I could load several websites before I swapped back to my ST AT&T sim. Sorry, I didn't run any speed tests.
    #3: Not entirely sure on this one, but it has the same bands as my AT&T Galaxy Note (i717) which I was running on ST T-Mo and getting 12-14 mbps down and 2.5 mbps up. On ST AT&T, I consistently get 5-7 mbps down, 1 mbps up with the Note and my LGOG Pro.
    #4: Well, the push back from your AT&T store is interesting. Might try going back in and seeing if another rep gives you hassle about buying outright without service. As long as you can get the phone, call up customer service and let them know you are planning on traveling to Europe and would like the phone unlocked so you can use a local cell provider while overseas. Hopefully they just ask for your IMEI number and then provide your unlock code.
    #5: I had a ST T-Mo sim for a while and now use my ST AT&T sim. The only issue I ever had with MMS was that Verizon had the number I was issued blacklisted. The ST rep opened up and ticket and T-Mo got Verizon to remove my number from their list. Since then, I have not had any issues with sending messages from either ST T-Mo or ST AT&T. Just gotta make sure you use the proper APN settings depending on which service you are using.

Hi Draiko!

Thank you sooooooo much for your detailed reply : )

BTC

05-16-2013 09:49 AM
    Can I know which number u called them at because I have exactly the same phone I unlocked it but my tmobile won't work on it so what can I do ??
    07-06-2013 06:58 PM