So, I volunteer at a private organization and just found out one big bummer with the Optimus G pro - the Square credit card reader does not work with this phone!

It turns out that almost all LG phones are not - I wonder why they are not using a traditional headphone jack setup compared to all of the major manufacturers? Anyone know the differences? This kind of shuts out many small/independent business people who rely on these credit card readers to perform transactions :/

I can manually enter sales, but that causes our rate to go from 2.7% to 3.5% + $.15 for every transaction (processing companies charge more for manually input transactions due to the higher risk associated with these types of sales).
    05-14-2013 12:37 PM
    Wow, what an odd thing for LG to do. Makes no sense to me.
    05-14-2013 01:31 PM
    05-14-2013 02:51 PM
    My LG Optimus G doesn't work with Paypal Here reader, either. Works fine with my Note 2. Must be an LG headphone jack thing.
    05-15-2013 07:22 PM
    Thats weird because i have the lg optimus g on sprint and it works with paypal here you just have to make sure your completely closed out of the regular paypal app
    05-16-2013 06:37 PM
    Eureka! Don't get discouraged yet LG users. My LG Optimus L9 works with the reader like a dream!
    08-23-2013 08:42 PM
    "Not to mention...the Optimus L9 is an uber awesome phone!"
    08-23-2013 08:51 PM
    I'm not sure what's going on but Square works fine with my G Pro and before the Pro its worked fine with my LG optimus G.
    10-20-2013 11:45 PM
    (So I'm told) if your reader has black stripes on the input jack, it's a problem with many phones... Contact Paypal and ask them to send one with white stripes. (Not sure what's different about it, other than the color - I assume the order of the wiring or some attenuation or something.) Anyway - they have designed a new reader for those "problem" phones.
    01-31-2014 11:30 AM
    Did you ever find anything out about this? I am searching everywhere and calling best buy and am getting all kinds of different answers. Some say they work. Some say they don't. I have a an LG Stylo and need a credit card reader.
    07-14-2015 10:29 AM
    I believe that both square and paypal will send out a free card reader as long as you sign up for either one of their services - once you sign up (for which ever service you choose) download their mobile app and once you receive the card reader - test it out. I personally use the paypal here card reader on my device (lg g3). The only reason I use paypal is because I've never had any issues with using paypal services (lucky I guess). But you can try signing up for both and get their card reader for free - the only thing it will cost you is a little time signing up and the wait for the reader to show up.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-02-2015 07:46 AM
    Note that Square is dropping the free readers and switching over to new chip card readers. They charge $29 a pop for the new reader, of which they will reimburse some portion out of their CC fees for a limited period. Square lists the LG Nexus 4 and 5 as being incompatible with their new chip card reader, presumably because of some problem with the audio-jack interface, but they don't provide any technical details.
    09-01-2015 12:09 PM
    Does the LG Optimus Exceed 2 (Verizon Prepaid) work with Square? I just received a free card reader in the mail, and I dropped my iPhone last week. I need something inexpensive, and I need to get it quickly for an event next week. If anyone has had any luck, please let me know!
    11-27-2015 12:16 AM