Optimus G Pro vs Note 3

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey gals and guys, guy and gals. In my quest for a new phone toy I'm considering the G Pro and the Note 3. The G Pro has garnered some really good reviews, including here @ AC. So, I'd be remiss if didn't ask you what you think of it. Your Pros and Cons. I know it's less expensive than the Note 3 and doesn't have 3GB of RAM, etc....all the spec stuff. ...but what you think of the phone.

On the G Pro:
1. If you were buying again today would you still get it vs. the Note 3?
2. How've you found the rooting opportunities?
3. How's the ecosystem? Cases, screen protectors pretty good and easy to find?
4. How's the screen? Dead Pixels?
5. What do you wish it did or didn't have or do?

Over the next couple of weeks I'll be deciding and your input, as always, is valuble. Thanks as always!

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely I'd buy it again. Rooting is horribly easy, though it blocks you from getting updates. Then again, you're also not dealing with updates that break root. The ecosystem is... Sufficient. Best I can say. I wish it were better. But this phone is only available on one carrier so it's too be expected I guess. Same with third party ROMS. You can do plenty as root but there's little ROM development out there comparatively. I wish there was a fairly slim case out there with a two way kickstand but the only one is rather thick. No dead pixels and I love the screen.

One thing I was is that LG used a better headphone jack. Something about their implementation makes it incompatible with the Square and PayPal credit card readers. That might be a big deal for some.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 4

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your feedback, especially in regards to Square. Speaking of the headphone jack, how's the headphone audio? Do you know if OTG support is built in?

S IV

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
OTG = On-The-Go. It's the ability to use your device as a USB host so you can plug in things like USB headphone amps and card readers. Nexus devices only support OTG once you pay $4 for Google's Nexus Media Importer app (I don't think you can even use a USB headphone amp on Nexus devices, just card readers, powered hard drives, etc.). Samsung and Sony build in OTG support in their devices and are you need is an OTG cable or card reader. This capability can be quite useful for importing photos, files, or going for bit-perfect audio output.

Last edited:

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
So you mean USB host support? I don't think so but that s not an important feature on a phone for me so I never checked. Asus builds it into their tablets too.

nelonez

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I have both phones and they are pretty much the same.. just a few faster specs on the N3... If $$ isn't an issue then I suggest the N3...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

vaterp

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I *used* to love this phone but somehow it seems to have a critical bug with a recent update or 'config' change that was pushed OTA. It wants to keep a GPS lock at all times. Even if I turn GPS off, it will shortly, turn itself back on and makes for incredibly ****ty/unreliable battery life. If i'm inside it will just try to gps lock all day, and thats battery expensive. LG won't admit there is a problem... there is a very long thread of people on xdaforums complaining about the issue (so it isn't just me).... and this issue alone has forced me to tell quite a few people not to buy this phone. its a shame too, because everything else about it is great.

If I were you right now, i'd look elsewhere, unfortunantly.

penningtonsm

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The only thing a don't like about this phone is the support from the Android Community. I can't find any custom ROMs, Cynagenmod doesn't support the LG Optimus G Pro. I want to be able to customize my entire phone and I can't really do that because the support for this fabulous phone just isn't there. I'm not sure if it's because it's LG or something else. Everything else about this phone is fantastic!

Sent from my LG-E980 using AC Forums mobile app

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The only thing a don't like about this phone is the support from the Android Community. I can't find any custom ROMs, Cynagenmod doesn't support the LG Optimus G Pro. I want to be able to customize my entire phone and I can't really do that because the support for this fabulous phone just isn't there. I'm not sure if it's because it's LG or something else. Everything else about this phone is fantastic!

I think this may be due to the fact that the phone is only available from one carrier.

from my Sony XTZ via Tapatalk IV

penningtonsm

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I think this may be due to the fact that the phone is only available from one carrier.

from my Sony XTZ via Tapatalk IV

Ok I get that, but it's a huge carrier. And a great phone. There should still be some support for it right?

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Not when you have phones available on ALL the carriers. I can understand people giving them development priority. That's why i want LG to get these onto other carriers.

amateur_android_user

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I *used* to love this phone but somehow it seems to have a critical bug with a recent update or 'config' change that was pushed OTA. It wants to keep a GPS lock at all times. Even if I turn GPS off, it will shortly, turn itself back on and makes for incredibly ****ty/unreliable battery life. If i'm inside it will just try to gps lock all day, and thats battery expensive. LG won't admit there is a problem... there is a very long thread of people on xdaforums complaining about the issue (so it isn't just me).... and this issue alone has forced me to tell quite a few people not to buy this phone. its a shame too, because everything else about it is great.

If I were you right now, i'd look elsewhere, unfortunantly.

It's called IQ carrier. That's the culprit to the GPS turning on at will. All u have to do is go to settings>apps>running>android system and stop the app I think LG calls it IQ detection or something like that. But once u do that no more pesky GPS taking control over your phone.

Posted via Android Central App

vaterp

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
It's called IQ carrier. That's the culprit to the GPS turning on at will. All u have to do is go to settings>apps>running>android system and stop the app I think LG calls it IQ detection or something like that. But once u do that no more pesky GPS taking control over your phone.

Hey thanks... ill see how that goes for a bit.... I thought i had read somewhere that it turns itself back on and the only way to really kill it was to root your phone and run you're own script to keep killing it. If it actually stays dead, and you just have to remember to do this everytime you restart, then i can live with that.... still unacceptable for them to release such junk though.

vaterp

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

Oh yeah and one more point... the fact that I called them and they played totally dumb on the issue like they never heard of it, also pissed me off. If it is this easy to stop it, they could have said something a month ago....

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Oh yeah and one more point... the fact that I called them and they played totally dumb on the issue like they never heard of it, also pissed me off. If it is this easy to stop it, they could have said something a month ago....

They may not have been "playing" dumb or pretending. LOL. Some of them are not quite as swift as you'd expect.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have been interesting in the N3 too but the GPro is great. Only thing holding me back from the N3 is the unstable 4k video.

You may want to try that for yourself. I've not had any problems and you may not either. I've heard a couple of negative things about the Note 3 and the Galaxy Gear, now that I have them both I can say the negatives didn't materialize for me.

Note 8.0

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I have been interesting in the N3 too but the GPro is great. Only thing holding me back from the N3 is the unstable 4k video.

Then record in 1080p, you can't watch the 4K unless you have a $5000 TV. It also takes up a lot of storage

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newprvn