Problem with rooted LG OG pro and new update

tombdaddy482

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
First let me say this is my first post here and I know absolutely nothing about rooting and everything that goes along with it. So here is my problem:

I have a rooted LG Optimus G Pro that I got when I traded someone. I did not know that you could not do an AT&T system update with a rooted phone. I tried to do this update and my phone starts with the stock LG screen for a couple of seconds and then opens the Team Win Recovery Project v2.6.0.0 screen. I just want to get my phone back to where I can make calls and such because my wife just had a baby about an hour ago and I can't post anything to anywhere without using the computer!! I tried restarting and messing around with rebooting through Team Win but it just goes back to the same screen!

Please help!! Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Andy

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I have a similar problem. I tried: [GUIDE] [E980] Fix soft bricks. Flash back to stock using LGFLashTools - xda-developers. I got an error loading the stock rom and now I seem to have lost download mode. You can try it, it might work for you. If any one can help me get back download mode or info on how to flash the stock rom from CWM, I would appreciate it.
You seem to be stuck in recovery as the update won't work without the stock recovery. You could try this: [ROM ] Pure Stock Rooted and debloated - xda-developers

No guarantees but at this point, it might be worth a shot.

JSWilsonX

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
@jdk2, Thanks for the links! While trying them out I found out that if you had the USB plugged and the pressed both the up and down arrow and the power button you would get into download mode. I went back to my earlier process and was able to flash the stock rom. Now my phone is back!!!

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
@jdk2, Thanks for the links! While trying them out I found out that if you had the USB plugged and the pressed both the up and down arrow and the power button you would get into download mode. I went back to my earlier process and was able to flash the stock rom. Now my phone is back!!!
Glad it worked out for you.

Khristopher Cook

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
My friend tried rooting his unlocked LG Optimus G Pro. He then updated and, well it will load the LG screen for a bought 3 seconds then shows a padlock and says "TEAM WIN RECOVERY PROJECT". I believe it is stuck in recovery mode and I offered him $75 for it he took it. I am now trying to fix it for him to give it back as a birthday present. All of the guides I have read I do not understand. Could someone PLEASE explain how to fix this? I don't need anything off the phone and if possible I would like to have it un rooted and back to factory condition. If you could DUMB it down for me that would be great.

JSWilsonX

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Try the following, if it works then you can know with certainty that you can restore the phone.
1. Plug the phone into the USB cable of a windows PC.
2. Press and hold the volume up and down buttons. Do not release then until step 6.
3. Press and hold the power button until the phone powers down.
4. Release the power button
5. The phone should go into download mode
6. Release the volume buttons.
If the phone goes into download mode you can restore it to the factory settings. If not, I can't help you. If the phone goes into download mode, let me know and I will point you to the next steps.

garitd

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
So I rooted my phone.. then this update came along, I tried to do the update and it gave an error and then rebooted and said "this device is suspected of rooting" or something. so i did a "clean up and uninstall" of SU and then a factory reset from in the phone settings. But Im guessing that its still somehow rooted or messed up because it still says "suspected of rooting" and still gives an error when trying to do the update.

so...

I just followed those steps and I do see that it can go into download mode. What do I do next to completely factory reset?

Thanks in advance

JSWilsonX

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
So I rooted my phone.. then this update came along, I tried to do the update and it gave an error and then rebooted and said "this device is suspected of rooting" or something. so i did a "clean up and uninstall" of SU and then a factory reset from in the phone settings. But Im guessing that its still somehow rooted or messed up because it still says "suspected of rooting" and still gives an error when trying to do the update.

so...

I just followed those steps and I do see that it can go into download mode. What do I do next to completely factory reset?

Thanks in advance

Download the latest LG drivers from the LG site: LG E980 Support: Find Manuals & Warranty Info | LG USA
Use the following link to download the rest of files you will need and follow the instructions. [GUIDE] [E980] Fix soft bricks. Flash back to stock using LGFLashTools - xda-developers

Note: I used the latest LG drivers not the ones in the XDA Developer link. I could not consistently get into download mode the way they described. So I used the alternate method that I posted earlier. If your first attempt results in an error, don't panic, just try again.

One thing that was not obvious to me was where to put the .dll and .tot file names. This picture explains it: http://g2-lg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/flash-att.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21