Is the LG Optimus G Pro still worth getting?

Jacoby Hardy

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking about buying the LG Optimus G Pro off of Ebay for Christmas. I'm coming from a Nokia Lumia 1520. I wanted to try Windows Phone and I'm started using my old S3 which made me miss Android and realize how annoying Windows Phone can be at times. I like the screen on my 1520, which is why I want the LG Optimus G Pro. Is it still worth getting? Is the Kitkat Update good on this phone? Also, how is the battery life?

Mike Polizzi

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
The Lg Optimus G Pro is an excellent phone I'v owned mine since they came out and I love it. Never had a problem and there still sending out updates for it. We get them a little late but we get them. The battery last about 8 hours with heavy use. Can last about 12 hours with moderate use.

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend getting such an old device, maybe waiting and saving up for a high end one comparable to your Lumia 1520 would be a better decision.

What is making you leave Windows Phone BTW?

Jacoby Hardy

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
The apps are the main reason why I'm leaving Windows Phone. Twitter, Instagram, and many other apps have not been updated in 6 months or so. A lot of apps that are on iOS and Android are not on Windows Phone which is annoying after a while. Also, Xbox Music is horrible compared to Google Play Music. I listen to music a lot which is a deal breaker for me. The only reason I'm getting the G Pro because it's cheaper than the G3 and M8.

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
The only drawback to the G Pro is that it has one tiny speaker, this is not a great music player unless you use earbuds.
The HTC One M8 would be a better choice if you like tunes.

But the G Pro has Qi charging support. Battery life as good as ANY other phone this size. The ability to use up to 128GB (!) memory cards. The camera is average but that's also good enough for most users.

All in all? I don't think there's any phone on the market that does anything "more" or better, aside from the one speaker. Overall call audio is a little fussy, you've got to get the speaker just right to your ear, but lots of phones are like that. I'm not in any hurry to replace mine, and that 128GB memory capacity (plus 32GB built in) has been really nice.

Juan Castro4

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
The Lg Optimus G Pro is an excellent phone I'v owned mine since they came out and I love it. Never had a problem and there still sending out updates for it. We get them a little late but we get them. The battery last about 8 hours with heavy use. Can last about 12 hours with moderate use.
Do you think that we are going to get Lollipop.

Juan Castro4

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
The only drawback to the G Pro is that it has one tiny speaker, this is not a great music player unless you use earbuds.
The HTC One M8 would be a better choice if you like tunes.

But the G Pro has Qi charging support. Battery life as good as ANY other phone this size. The ability to use up to 128GB (!) memory cards. The camera is average but that's also good enough for most users.

All in all? I don't think there's any phone on the market that does anything "more" or better, aside from the one speaker. Overall call audio is a little fussy, you've got to get the speaker just right to your ear, but lots of phones are like that. I'm not in any hurry to replace mine, and that 128GB memory capacity (plus 32GB built in) has been really nice.
I think that mine has a good speaker. It is loud. Yet again it depends on the app and the bit rate or quality of the song.

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Juan-
The odds that any three year old phone is going to get a MAJOR OS version upgrade range from slim to none.

Ain't gonna happen, this phone is four(?) models behind the latest one and no one, especially LG, wants to waste money testing a new OS on it when they can just tell you to buy a new one.

That's just the way it goes. With every company.

Juan Castro4

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I agree with u however since they were still selling the phone last year am hopping that they do update it. They need to fix the GPS and the problem with the phone that losses sound when you get a call. Or a least that is what happens to me. I maybe listening to pandora and then get a call, however after I return to pandora there is no sound and the song is still playing.

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Never had either of those problems with my phone, under 4.3.x or 4.4.x. Never had any GPS problem with the phone.

I would suggest a repair if it is under warranty, but first to check proper GPS operation (i.e. don't expect it to work indoors, or in the rear of a car, etc., it still needs to see the sky) and try an audio player besides Pandora, which may have problems of its own. If the native music player or another app like Poweramp works, then the problem is not the phone. Those problems are not widely reported for the phone, making me think it is the app (Pandora) or a hardware problem in your phone, and upgrades never fix that.

It remains an OLD phone by modern standards and upgrades to new versions of Android almost never are available for old hardware. Even on Google's own phones.

Juan Castro4

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Never had either of those problems with my phone, under 4.3.x or 4.4.x. Never had any GPS problem with the phone.

I would suggest a repair if it is under warranty, but first to check proper GPS operation (i.e. don't expect it to work indoors, or in the rear of a car, etc., it still needs to see the sky) and try an audio player besides Pandora, which may have problems of its own. If the native music player or another app like Poweramp works, then the problem is not the phone. Those problems are not widely reported for the phone, making me think it is the app (Pandora) or a hardware problem in your phone, and upgrades never fix that.

It remains an OLD phone by modern standards and upgrades to new versions of Android almost never are available for old hardware. Even on Google's own phones.
I dont think that a repair will fix it since this all happen after KitKat appdate. Not the first one but the second one.