Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

quadtronix

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Was wondering which you all would prefer if the only difference was vanilla JB vs. LG's overlay with ICS...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't think a single person would want ICS with the LG skin except maybe the mother of the guy who designed the skin. And maybe not even her.

StumDroid

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I prefer having stock ICS or Jelly Bean rather then that touchwiz and sense crap but I don't mind LG UI its pretty nice if you ask me but it'd be way better if it were Stock Jelly Bean

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
So given that the "LG Nexus 4" is based off the Optimus G, how hard would it be once the two phones are out to replace the Optimus G rom with the stock Jelly Bean rom from the Nexus? I suppose we'll have to wait and see but theoretically speaking it shouldn't be that difficult to get the JB Nexus rom working on an Optimus G would it?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Who knows it all depends on how much was changed between the two devices I would hope that its an easy port, But that's not a given. and I would take the optimus g over the nexus in a heart beat all because of the storage. 16gigs is not enough for a modern device. I love cloud storage but prefer to keep some things local

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Who knows it all depends on how much was changed between the two devices I would hope that its an easy port, But that's not a given. and I would take the optimus g over the nexus in a heart beat all because of the storage. 16gigs is not enough for a modern device. I love cloud storage but prefer to keep some things local

That's my thought process exactly. If stock Nexus JB can be ported to run on the Optimus G I'd take that over the Nexus version for the storage (not to mention that the Optimus G will be offered with LTE connectivity in Canada)

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
There's actually one reason to get the LG version over the Nexus stock. The camera will be worse with AOSP and won't have the custom shooting modes like panorama and photo during video. Even if they have the same exact camera module.

timato

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
There's actually one reason to get the LG version over the Nexus stock. The camera will be worse with AOSP and won't have the custom shooting modes like panorama and photo during video. Even if they have the same exact camera module.

Galaxy Nexus has those features, why wouldn't the next one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I'll have to check out my co-worker's GNex. My JB tablet doesn't have any of those features and I didn't see them on her GNex.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Yes aosp how has those features but I'm not torn even though stock android is great, I love some of the additions added by manufactures like the extra gestures and some of the other things. Stock android is a little bare ( but rightfully so). I guess the main thing is whether you are fine with waiting for updates and if you want a huge dev group. I Can wait as long as I know that I'm getting a full featured device. While others prefer the stock look and feel while knowing that they will be first up for updates. As long as this has an unlocked bootloader and I can load cm or aokp on this ill be fine

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I love aosp but if this device has the same specs as the nex but with more than 16 gigs of non expandable memory give me the optimus I had over 8 gigs of nandroid backups alone not to count movies and pictures the nexus would be full far to fast in my opinion. But if this isn't rootable I dont want it I love some of the things added but I love aosp more. It's light fast with very few major flaws

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So given that the "LG Nexus 4" is based off the Optimus G, how hard would it be once the two phones are out to replace the Optimus G rom with the stock Jelly Bean rom from the Nexus? I suppose we'll have to wait and see but theoretically speaking it shouldn't be that difficult to get the JB Nexus rom working on an Optimus G would it?

It'd probably have to still be ported.

And for the question, Nexus.

ImGreen

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Personally I prefer the Optimus G despite the skin. I have never liked the physical style of the Nexus phone and it sounds like the LG Nexus will follow and it also sounds like it will be a bit thicker which I do not care for. I don't like the LG skin but it does not bather me.

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't really like stock android. I Like some of the cool things that lg's Ui can do. Stuff you have to add from the play store to do on a stock android phone. Bloat has never bothered me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
This phone is going go be Locked so rooting might be hard to accomplish

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Yea but the bootloader is locked so its not as simple that's what I meant to say

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums