Awesome phone, but the overheating issue...

Tim Kimmel

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I have the AT&T model. I actually love the build of the phone and the UI. It's great, but what I do not love is the Android OS sucking the life from the device, and the phone over heating to where it auto-dims the brightness and obnoxiously refuses to let me raise it. I can't even open Google Chrome without the phone auto-dimming due to temperature. The yellow tint on the bottom of the screen is rather disappointing as well (Seems that most of the light from the screen is distributed from the bottom-up)

I went to AT&T and got a different Optimus G, hoping I had a bad unit, but the exact same issues are present with this one. I kind of want to hold out for LG to update their software, hopefully this will rectify the issues with the battery and over heating, but it is undetermined when LG will decide to do that. I have until the 27th to take it back to AT&T and exchange it. Should I hold out or just go and get the HTC One X+? What do ya'll think?

Larry Thomas

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the Sprint model and haven't had any overheating issues. However on my last phone (Motorola Photon) it would overheat all the time and would even power off sometimes because of it.

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Dude there has to be an app or something that's sucking the battery out of the phone. And you should probably not count on lg for an update lol.

tea candles are the duct tape of candles

Tim Kimmel

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
The heating issue isn't what bothers me, per se. It's more of this error message when trying to put the brightness back up: "Unable to brighten more due to high temperature. Try again later."
This is pretty freakin' annoying. I do like my phone at 100% brightness, that's just my preference.

Jasbo

May 27, 2011
Visit site
So im really interested in this phone but have the same concern about the temp issues... Do you get the screen dimming when watching movies or playing games? About how long can you use it before it gets too warm and auto dims the screen?

May 12, 2013
Visit site
When my phone was at 100% light and I have background apps open and watching a movie or it gets hot.. But since a month ago Ive put my brightness down too 65-70% (currently 45%) Because its still light enough and my phone never Heats again! Just keep your brightness down at reasonable level then your fine.

Posted via Android Central App

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Phone gets hot if i leave games open after i play them. I long press home button and close them out. No heating issues unless i play a game for an hour straight or leave my hotspot on for a long time.

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I've been streaming in HD from Netflix with the brightness on auto (I actually use a brightness widget I got in the Play Store). No significant heat issues so far. I'm using the AT&Fee variant update to 4.1.2.

From my LG Optimus G E970

chi_love78

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
LG Flex with Tmobile
My phone overheats, getting extremely hot . Mostly at the top of the screen and where the vol rockers are. I was listening to iheartradio and the vol was going up and down by itself. I restarted the phone. Same thing occured. There hasnt been a warning saying it was overheating. How damaging could this be to the phone and or screen? Had phone since 2/12/14. It overheated again just using google music. Sometimes it overheats with games from TeamLava like Dragon Story and ZooStory. It takes about 3hrs on avg to fully charge or less. The battery meter tells you exactly how long

Sonofaperson

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I i used to just go outside and hope for a breeze. recently though, i rooted it. i then under clocked it to like 1-1.3 ghz. it helped a bit and don't think that since i under clocked the processor, its gonna be slow. its not. just under clock it, put it onto eco mode and it will hopefully cool it down a bit and give it good battery life. the performance is still great.
Edit: OK so for normal use under clock it to like 300 to 700. It'll work awesome. Use framaroot for root(from their xda page) when I say normal I mean like texting, Facebook, etc. NOT BIG GAMES. flappy bird and the like will be OK

Last edited:

Angie Brandyberry

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Did you ever discover a way of fixing this issue? My daughter has a brand new one and today it had the same issue. She is thinking of going to the ATT store and see if it can be fixed. But we can't do that until Saturday. Today is Tuesday and she would like to be able to see her screen to use the phone...:)