Is the the Optimus the most under rated Android device? Or am I missing something?

j1787

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I walked in the AT&T store today to see which phone I was going to purchase. Options at the time were the S3 or Note 2. Then I went hands on with the Optimus G.

I'm confused on why this isn't considered one of the best android devices on the market? Keep in mind I only had 10 minutes with the device hands on. I'm looking to be educated here.

This phone at first glance is an absolute beaut. Awesome screen, nice build, and it looks like LG did a great job with its skin. Am I wrong? Can I hear about some user experiences?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jas2743

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Don't post from your ipad, lol jk. This phone is just amazing. If sprint, at&t, and LG would have marketed it more it would have been a huge seller. I love mine!

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

klokateer123

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. This phone is amazing. But if LG gives this phone jellybean soon it would awesome :D

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Android Central Forums

nelonez

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't be happier with mine... it was either this or the HTC one x+... hands down this way better and $100 cheaper...

Sent from my LG-E970 using Android Central Forums

j1787

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I was shocked. I have a few questions for current owners.

So rumors of a Pro version are swirling with a 5 inch screen, any timeline on this?

What's the Developer community like for the Optimus? Would any of the nexus 4 Roms work with this phone? Is the boot loader easily unlocked?

Thanks in advance everyone.

j1787

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Don't post from your ipad, lol jk. This phone is just amazing. If sprint, at&t, and LG would have marketed it more it would have been a huge seller. I love mine!

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Haha this is why I'm here, can't make my mind up on what I want.

kofasetic

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I was shocked. I have a few questions for current owners.

So rumors of a Pro version are swirling with a 5 inch screen, any timeline on this?

What's the Developer community like for the Optimus? Would any of the nexus 4 Roms work with this phone? Is the boot loader easily unlocked?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Head over to XDA forums. They have a great LGOG community for Sprint & AT&T

sk1win

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I walked in the AT&T store today to see which phone I was going to purchase. Options at the time were the S3 or Note 2. Then I went hands on with the Optimus G.

I'm confused on why this isn't considered one of the best android devices on the market? Keep in mind I only had 10 minutes with the device hands on. I'm looking to be educated here.

This phone at first glance is an absolute beaut. Awesome screen, nice build, and it looks like LG did a great job with its skin. Am I wrong? Can I hear about some user experiences?

This phone is a beast. Extremely underrated. Battery last all day with heavy use, screen is amazing camera is really good but UI is wonky and it's the fastest phone I have seen or owned. As someone mentioned, this is getting JB soon and then it will somehow be faster and better.

megamaster5

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The Dev community is great. I expect many roms in about two weeks. They just got JB almost working for Sprint, and AT&T had it. The marketing just wasn't there for the OG. I think it may be due to the Optimus line not always being so high end.

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
All you have to do to see what accolades this phone deserves is to look at comparisons online between it and the Galaxy S3... Regardless of which one ends up on top of any given review, the Optimus G is seen as a valid competitor for the S3... and yet people seem to clamor for the S3. The difference in popularity has to either be marketing or recent history of other phones by the manufacturer.

A different angle to demonstrate the power of marketing... What keeps the iUniverse devices in the headlines even though they are outnumbered by Android devices? Is it greater capability? It is marketing, and add to it the drones on tv... You don't see the people on the morning news shows talking about the latest Android devices, but every time someone at Apple farts, they are all over it and talking about how wonderful it smelled, and how they love their iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

But, I digress...

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
All you have to do to see what accolades this phone deserves is to look at comparisons online between it and the Galaxy S3... Regardless of which one ends up on top of any given review, the Optimus G is seen as a valid competitor for the S3... and yet people seem to clamor for the S3. The difference in popularity has to either be marketing or recent history of other phones by the manufacturer.

A different angle to demonstrate the power of marketing... What keeps the iUniverse devices in the headlines even though they are outnumbered by Android devices? Is it greater capability? It is marketing, and add to it the drones on tv... You don't see the people on the morning news shows talking about the latest Android devices, but every time someone at Apple farts, they are all over it and talking about how wonderful it smelled, and how they love their iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

But, I digress...

I would have to agree.

Samsung's marketing machine really pumped up the S3... which worked since iPhone sales are down. Sprint did 1 commercial for the Optimus G.

For me it was which phone felt like a quality phone. The S3 still felt like all other Samsung phones, cheap-feeling plastic and light with a big screen. The Optimus G at least felt like and looks like a quality phone.

To stay out of the flame wars about which phone is better, the Optimus G definately is underrated.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I replaced my AT&T S3 with an Optimus G yesterday because my S3 intermittently could not receive incoming phone calls. I was told by a representative at Costco's wireless kiosk the problem was AT&T's programming and there won't be a fix for 1-2 months. Since my phone is my business # I had no choice because my existing and potential clients must be able to call me. They told me AT&T will not admit this issue and it is only with S3's.

Most unfortunately, this morning AT&T tech support called me to explain the problem was a known issue since 1-09-13 and it was randomly effecting all AT&T 4G/LTE devices in 4G/LTE markets. Had they called me last night prior to 6:30pm I would still have my S3. I called AT&T Tech Support at least 8 times over the last week and not a single tech support rep could explain this to me, each had a different "story" about the problem. The rep that called me this morning stated there was no reason their tech support should not have been aware of the issue and they should not have opened a new case about my phone. AT&T has by far the worst Tech Support I have ever experienced both for their wireless & UVerse services. I believe it makes a strong case for buying an iPhone just so you can deal with Apple rather than AT&T tech support.

My initial impression of the Optimus vs. the S3 is LG's interface is absolutely stone age compared to the S3. I don't think it's even as sophisticated as my Captivate Galaxy 1 was. I spent 4 hours tonight 1 of them with LG tech support trying to set up my MS exchange email. The LG interface doesn't have an option for TLS so LG is trying to set it up through K-9. I have to call them again later this morning. If they can't set it up the Optimus is useless to me. I have set up my Exchange email on every smartphone I've had for the last 6 years. Really, are you kidding me, a brand new high level phone like the Optimus G and no TLS option for Exchange email setup???

While I agree the Optimus is more solidly constructed especially the back case the facts of the matter are in a protective case you'd never know the difference and the S3's flimsy plastic back cover does allow an extended range battery. If you've never used an S3 you may think the Optimus G is a comparable phone. I would strongly disagree, the Optimus G is not in the same league as the S3 despite it's quad core chip. The S3's Samsung interface has a tremendous amount more of options than LG's interface right down to the number of pre-installed ringtones & notification tones. I use Outlook as my business calendar & Google as my personal calendar reason being I don't want the business owners I do business with to view my personal calendar when I'm setting appointments. This LG displays my Google calendar events on the lock screen, perhaps there is a setting to change that I haven't yet discovered. I use my phones 100% for business purposes and the S3 IMO is a far superior phone interface featurewise.

It's true that Samsung's advertising had a lot to do with the sales success of the S3, everybody agrees on that point but it's also the phone itself. The S3 didn't outsell the iPhone in the 4th quarter of last year only because of the advertising. People who bought the phones told other people how much they liked them creating more sales.

I am very disappointed AT&T tech support called me 15 hours after I got the Optimus G. Especially considering I spent almost a week and 10 hours of my time calling their tech support. The workaround to this problem is to reactive my 3G Captivate until AT&T has resolved the issue. My point here is not to flame the Optimus G but rather to give you my experience with both phones. I think I am the only person on this thread that has actually used an S3 for a couple of months and I realize I have not actually used the Optimus G to any extent which as why I stated these are only my initial impressions. I will also add that every AT&T tech support person I spoke with personally owns an S3 and the one this morning told me there was a good reason she hasn't had an LG phone in a long time. I think the Optimus G is to make an automotive analogy like a Chevrolet Cruze with a Corvette ZL1 engine. It has the raw power but that's where it ends.

Last edited:

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I hadn't noticed the lack of support for Exchange because for me this is a personal phone and I have no need for the connectivity. It does surprise me that a high end phone does not support all of the major email interfaces.

As far as the interface in general, I have grown weary of dealing with a different interface on every device, and started using the Nova Prime launcher for my devices. The little pieces of bling that certain manufacturers add to their interface to differentiate themselves bore me.

Your comment comparing the Optimus G to a Chevy Cruze with a ZL1 engine is good... But I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing... Go ahead and pull up to the line with your 'Vette, and you may win because my LG can't control all of the muscle, but I'm not racing, and don't care as long as I have the power to do what I want to do.

Thanks for the report, I will definitely steer people clear of the Optimus G if they are looking to interface with an Exchange server.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I would have to agree.

Samsung's marketing machine really pumped up the S3... which worked since iPhone sales are down. Sprint did 1 commercial for the Optimus G.

For me it was which phone felt like a quality phone. The S3 still felt like all other Samsung phones, cheap-feeling plastic and light with a big screen. The Optimus G at least felt like and looks like a quality phone.

To stay out of the flame wars about which phone is better, the Optimus G definately is underrated.

Actually I saw 2 lg commercials but yeah it is a good underrated phone.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The optimus s did and still has a massive dev community for it and its love two years old, older than the og evo 4g. Really it depends on which optimus phone you get, always for your research before buying an lg.

Sent from my SPH-L710

ToddPsyD

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I use my LG optimus G with my companies exchange server daily and have never had 1 issue. So I'm not sure I would steer people clear of it if they use exchange. I personally have loved this phone. I replaced my GS2 with it and havent looked back. The TouchWiz interface became so overdone to me that it annoyed me. I actually prefer the LG interface. To me it is much more similar to the standard android interface. But to each his own. If you've only had the phone a day or two, I'm sure AT&T would return it for you.

j1787

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I want to thank everyone for their feedback, both positive and negative. I still haven't made a move. I'm in the "lets see what launches next" trap, which never ends...I know.

Does anyone know how easy this phone is to install a custom rom? I love vanilla android. I would just go nexus, but no LTE for me is a deal breaker.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree that the phone is way under rated but one thing to remember when it comes to the rumors about what's coming is that there is always something better on the horizon but most of the things coming put of mobile world congress will take months to get here in the US if ever. If you are ready for s new phone now, choose one that is available now and enjoy your new phone. If you don't like the software on the G eighty customize it or get the Note 2. As awesome as the GS3 is remrmber it was released last May I believe so its 8 months old already and I can't advise a power user sign a 2 year contract for an 8 month old phone unless you are like me and willing to pay fill retail for s mid contract upgrade. I bought a full retail new Optimous G off eBay and its worth every penny.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I want this phone but I have one question - In the stock LG UI, you know the quick settings bar that scrolls sideways in the notification bar when you pull it down? The one with settings toggles like wifi, BT, etc in it? I don't want to lose that, but I DO want to install a launcher like Nova or something like that.

Is it possible?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I want this phone but I have one question - In the stock LG UI, you know the quick settings bar that scrolls sideways in the notification bar when you pull it down? The one with settings toggles like wifi, BT, etc in it? I don't want to lose that, but I DO want to install a launcher like Nova or something like that.

Is it possible?

No. If you install a custom launcher it overwrites the app drawer, notification, etc but you can no doubt find a nova theme or a third party app that replaces that functionaluty.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane