Can you help convince me to buy this phone?

jleliekelly

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Maybe an hour if I was playing a game for extended period of time.... But usually when it gets warm enough for me to wonder what temp I'm running at I will stop playing for a while and let it cool down. Hope that helps.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Jennah Barnes

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
It actually depends on how you intend to use it. You already know how fast and how stunning the screed really is. As mentioned in a lot of reviews, it is great for multi-tasking. Also, there are a lot of retailers that offer money-back guarantees in case you will encounter major problems such as over-heating which I think is very rare. Try checking it out here: lg optimus g

Xsie

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm due for a handset upgrade and I've been looking seriously at the Optimus G. I'm a huge fan of the Galaxy S3 but to be honest I'm looking for something a little different than what most of my friends have and the Optimus G really caught my eye. I've played with it a few times in the store and overall I'm pretty impressed - nice screen and blazing fast. (For what it's worth I'm in Canada and our carriers are selling what more or less seems to be the Sprint version of this device I believe)

The thing is, the S3 is somewhat of a "sure thing" and I'm a little unfamiliar with LG. Overall, the brand has never screamed "quality" to me but the reviews of the Optimus G have been mostly positive, I love the styling and it ticks most of my wants/needs boxes.

There are two things making me a little leery of the purchase though - I keep reading about the overheating issues. Is this a common problem or do some people seem to have defective units? Any chance any of the patches has corrected the problem? Or is it just being overblown online? Second, I'm not seeing many choices for cases online - even from the big manufacturers. That's pretty minor I know but it kind of gives you the sense that this device isn't being supported overall. Or is that possibly just because it's so new?

Anyway I'd love to hear opinions.

(By the way - by no means am I an Android newbie. Been using Android in one form or another since Eclair)

Update: Ok to be honest my thread title was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I'm not REALLY asking you to "convince me" - obviously I plan to make the decision on my own. What I'm really looking for is some general opinions from people who own this device particularly in regards to the overheating issues I've read about online. If you own the device have you found that to be an issue? Is it any worse than the average phone on the market today?

Thanks in advance.

I've had this phone since Sat. & surprisingly I enjoy it. It's fast, beautiful display, runs smoothly. Does it get hot? No more than my HTC Inspire. And i say it's warm, not hot.

For right now, this phone suits me & my needs.

manuelq3

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I have this phone, it's great and it only get hot when you play for long hours, the true is that the front camera is bad compare to the s3 and the rear is better but But behind the s3 but the phone is super fast, extremely fast I think it is the fastest android phone for the 2012.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Android Central Forums

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I have this phone and I prefer it over the htc one + and the samsung galaxy s3. It feels better in my hand. The button placement is good. Great battery life if u turn the eco mod on. Best looking true to life color screen. I like the choices and placement of the haptic buttons in the bottom. Square design makes it easier to hold in too. Camera still shots are good but not fast to capture. Video quality is excellent. Mine got hot once after a few hours of straight video and game playing. The ui is very customizable compared to htc and sonys. It has a lot of neat little tricks. I like it a lot. My only complaint is a lack of cases for atts model. I have the belkin bumper and dropped down a few stairs then to concret and it was fine.

klokateer123

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
This phone is pretty awesome. Would I give it up for another phone? Probably only the g pro but that about it. Mine got super hot once while playing a super dynamic game for 2-3 hours while charging. But not even that slowed the phone. All in all the optimus g is a beast.

sent from my phone as hot as the sun

psychotron

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I've taken a great deal of interest in this thread as I have an upgrade due with ATT (I'm jumping ship from Windows Phone) and cannot bring myself to spend $200-$250 on the HTC One or GS4. It's very encouraging to hear all of the positive comments as my main worry with this device has been it's durability as there seem to be a number of reports of glass cracking on this phone. Really would like to pick it up at the current $99 price point as it seems to pack more power than the S3 for the same money.

klokateer123

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I've taken a great deal of interest in this thread as I have an upgrade due with ATT (I'm jumping ship from Windows Phone) and cannot bring myself to spend $200-$250 on the HTC One or GS4. It's very encouraging to hear all of the positive comments as my main worry with this device has been it's durability as there seem to be a number of reports of glass cracking on this phone. Really would like to pick it up at the current $99 price point as it seems to pack more power than the S3 for the same money.

I've dropped my sprint og on tile at shoulder height with no case. Was expecting to be some cracks on either side but luckily not a scratch.

sent from my phone as hot as the sun

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Id just guess that it has to fall in the right area. Similar to any screen on any smartphone nowadays there all glass and mostly gorilla glass. Ive seen busted screens on a lot of phones for many different reasons. At least theres some barriers around the edges unlike the iphone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Foxtrot616

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I've had the phone for about a month. I've been impressed with the speed and the screen. I came from the Nexus S. I liked the native Android. But I have to admit... The LG software makes some processes much nicer.... Get an Otter Box. The phone is made of glass... Gorilla glass... But glass none the same. I think this is a quality build. But for 30-40 bucks? Protect it. I seriously considered the S3. Even waiting for the S4. But.... I really couldn't be happier. A solid phone.... And if you have good exposure to an LTE market..... I think you will be pleased.

Foxtrot616

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm with Sprint.... I reread your post about being with ATT. The phone have slightly different dimensions.... But I bet Otter Box makes one for both. Good luck on your choice.

psychotron

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm with Sprint.... I reread your post about being with ATT. The phone have slightly different dimensions.... But I bet Otter Box makes one for both. Good luck on your choice.

Unfortunately, they don't. On the Otterbox site for the one case they do have it says "DOES NOT FIT LG Optimus G E970 (AT&T)". So I guess I'll be stuck with whatever I can scrounge up on Amazon. Body Glove doesn't even make the case they used to carry for it in the AT&T stores any more. :(

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000