bad experience with lg optimus g

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm noticing your variant has the LG logo on the back. Mine does not. Mine is a E970 AT&T US variant. The production run on your model must have had defects. I've sat on my phone twice with no issues. There is no flex in this phone (like there was with my HTC Inspire - and that phone had an aluminum unibody). In fact, either the Slashgear or Engadget review remarked on the AT&T (US) variant having zero flex.

I think you have to be careful about bashing LG with such a broad brush. My phone is essentially the AT&T crapware version of the Nexus 4 which has been VERY well received (and incidentally also has a glass back). I had no case for the first week of owning my phone and had no issues. The sales rep at the store used the OG; he uses every phone they carry for at least six months to get a feel for the device. He said the OG is the best one he's use to date even over the SGS III. He also admits he does not use cases or take very good care of his phones and had no issues with his OG.

Cracking like that, that is not a result of impact, is no doubt a manufacturing defect in the glass itself.

LIBERTY MASON

May 22, 2013
Visit site
this is why you simply don't buy at&t version of phone. it makes phone superior to the worst type of the phone. if you have money to get extra care for your daily driver, i suggest you to buy international version

mary mar

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi I work for a telecommunications company and i had a client report the same issue with his LD optimus G.. the back cracked and he did not drop it .. seems it was a HOT COLD issue. The phone was hot and was placed on a cool surface and it cracked.. LG is not covering the damage... Terrible...

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi I work for a telecommunications company and i had a client report the same issue with his LD optimus G.. the back cracked and he did not drop it .. seems it was a HOT COLD issue. The phone was hot and was placed on a cool surface and it cracked.. LG is not covering the damage... Terrible...

Why don't you heat up a glass pie dish in the oven and then drop it in a bucket of ice water and tell me what happens.

Your "hot cold issue" is more commonly known as the laws of physics.

Sent from my LG-E970 using AC Forums mobile app

nancybout

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
He stated that he did Not mistreat this phone. Sometimes glass is made so thin, it's possible. I'm glad I seen it never will I buy it since LG is rude.
I can see dropping and cracking BUT that's where amazon took the pie....they replaced my cracked fire at no cost!! They had books to sell but still...look hopefully amazon phones come lol
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

nancybout

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
OK...I go to the beach. 90 degrees.... come to my car turn the air condition it's so hot out.. phone cracks. Its MY FAULT? I don't have that phone, just saying... No way I find that a warranty issue.

nancybout

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
It has to be an issue with his back glass cause yes, nexus 4 has same and no cracks.. Idk but it shouldn't crack if hot than cold unless he's oven than Ice lol

Kevin Greene

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Mine looks like the back of yours, only its the screen side. I swear it was sitting on my bed, and i heard a crackling. when i looked at my phone next, i realized it was completely shattered, and it wasnt done. over the next few minutes it kept cracking until it decided it was done. I guess i'm going back to a flip phone.

Jennifer Pagett

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
My phone looks exactly the same as yours.. You told me complained to LG Canada. I just called today and they apparently have no other complaints...hmm.
Mine was sitting on my coffee table when I heard a pop. Looked at the screen, nothing. Set it down, heard it crackling. Turned it over and it was cracking everywhere. It continued to crack even after I turned it off thinking it was going to explode or something. WTH?? These are not impact cracks!!

Attachments

• cell phone.jpg
    cell phone.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 22

Jennifer Pagett

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Mine is 2 months old. I have 3 witnesses to this. LG says it has to have been dropped. This phone has never been dropped. They are pressure cracks. If you look closely, it appears to have been pushed out, because there are cracks running straight up the edges where it was trying to break away. There is no impact point where they all start from.

Last edited:

Jennifer Pagett

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
here is my LG Optimus G with a new design on the back. Glass Crack Style.
by chance on the front it is perfect
and my iphone after a few years .... intact
hope my lg will still work in a few years

Mine looks exactly like yours. From just last night. Same thing. No reason what so ever???

Attachments

• cell phone.jpg
    cell phone.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Mario Saarik

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
My girl dropped her lg optimus g on her leg and then to the ground. Back was cracked. So she was relived that the front survived, but as she tried to unlock the phone the glass shattered in an instant. And with the glass the digitizer died.

Colryanicjoe

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I had same issue n all the negative comments about it are wrong, LG said its a defect. The defect is the battery, the battery gets too hot n expands n puts pressure on back of phone and the pressure cracks the glass. I never knew the back of the phone was glass either. So all that has issues call ur carrier n they contact LG n they will confirm its a defect.

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Same way with mine, (I was about now to post also its photo, but had problem with uploading right now). Anyway, though mine had a fall, but it fell no more than 1 and a half feet height onto a smooth floor, and was its first time to experience any drop or anything from the 1-2 months since i bought it. Though I just managed to put it or don it with its supplied phone jacket to avoid getting cutting myself upon using the phone, since I had yet no time to go to there (LG) service center and to also maybe perhaps claim the warranty. 2 months after, the phone suddenly stops working and will not power on. I was able to visit their service center (LG) sometime later which was another 2 months later, and presenting to them the phone, asking them what's happened to it when I did not abuse it whatsoever except for that accidental 1 foot drop to the floor. And... all their high-tech B.S. talk came out, and also how that it's our (the users or customers) fault, etc.., and they would even give lectures of irrelevant issues. Lucky for them that I just had no time to argue, much more to listen to their lectures, that I had to leave but with such a heavy heart up to now...

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Mine looks like the back of yours, only its the screen side. I swear it was sitting on my bed, and i heard a crackling. when i looked at my phone next, i realized it was completely shattered, and it wasnt done. over the next few minutes it kept cracking until it decided it was done. I guess i'm going back to a flip phone.

that's quiet very terrible sir kevin, me too has the same bad experience, and has so much remorse of buying this stupid product, wasting hard-earned money

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
My phone looks exactly the same as yours.. You told me complained to LG Canada. I just called today and they apparently have no other complaints...hmm.
Mine was sitting on my coffee table when I heard a pop. Looked at the screen, nothing. Set it down, heard it crackling. Turned it over and it was cracking everywhere. It continued to crack even after I turned it off thinking it was going to explode or something. WTH?? These are not impact cracks!!

very terrible..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21