LS970ZVB (Sprint Jelly Bean Update)

Foxtrot616

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Please share your thoughts when you can. I'm interested in what you think. For me.... There isn't a yea or nea feeling. Not really noticing a difference.

klokateer123

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
So far for me there have been some little things i have noticed like the camera app. But other than that, nothing major.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Android Central Forums

jleliekelly

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
For me - (it could be psychological) but i appreciate the smoothness on switching screens, apps, etc. Google now is great when I'm in areas that I'm not familiar with..... Heating? I hear some say they notice a difference - i have not one way or another. I notice small things that I can't seem to put my finger on but if I can't put my finger on it - it's not really big enough to mention- I might be a little biased, but this phone is pretty fantastic on 4.0 or 4.1.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
My impressions...

A few buttons/toggles look different... No benefit nor degradation

Google Now... I find it hard to believe that this took an OS upgrade... Frankly, a good combo calendar/search app would be just as useful to me. I guess it is a minor benefit. I don't know if it was in this forum or elsewhere that I mentioned it, but I see little of interest in the current version of Google Now that isn't possible with the previous location aware Google search capability. We'll see if they expand the capability in the near future (hopefully not requiring another OS upgrade).

I have read reports of other improvements that aren't really important to me like improved voice recognition... Who knows, I may try this again, but when I tried it before it worked fine, I just haven't had a need to use it.

Battery/temp/performance... Frankly, when I am using the phone, I am usually in an app so quickly that I don't notice any additional smoothness of the launcher, and I never had noticeable battery issues not directly related to playing games for too long... and I never felt the phone getting even slightly warm unless I spent over 30 minutes in a game.

I am happy to have JB, but not thrilled.

guyladouche

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
sRedWolf,

I'm having this exact same problem. Tried uninstalling the gmail update then reinstalling, and the bug persists ("gmail has stopped responding" when I click to go back to my main account from an email). For now, I just rolled back to the previous version--but the March 18th update version, currently the most recent one (that apparently enables you to do various tasks from the notification tray), doesn't work for me either and I see the same thing as you. Sucks...

sRedwolf

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
sRedWolf,
I'm having this exact same problem. Tried uninstalling the gmail update then reinstalling, and the bug persists ("gmail has stopped responding" when I click to go back to my main account from an email). For now, I just rolled back to the previous version--but the March 18th update version, currently the most recent one (that apparently enables you to do various tasks from the notification tray), doesn't work for me either and I see the same thing as you. Sucks...

Right - the stock version of the gmail app 4.2.1 works perfectly fine. The new bug is only with the version 4.3 that came out this month and includes the snazzy notifications. (and it only crashes on JB. It was fine in ICS) One thing I've found as a work around - you can press your "back" button to jump back to the inbox and that works fine. It only crashes when you press the back arrow in the app menu bar. So for me I'd rather do that and still have the functionality of 4.3. It's just a little frustrating to get an "update" and have it break one of the most fundamental apps on the device.

I opened a thread for this issue in the google gmail forums so it might be a good idea to add your experience to it if you have time.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/gmail/lxzmON5kDlc/b6FBqnejlS0J

Foxtrot616

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
That's my take on JB. I came from a Nexus S. Loved the Google experience and was a little skeptical going to another phone that wasn't native Google. I'm not noticing a real difference on this phone good or bad with JB over ICS.... Simply because of the LG software. And quite honestly, I have actually been very happy with what the LG layer has to offer. I don't root. Which... At some point I might want to try. But I don't know enough about it to recognize the benefits. But as far as this phone goes, I am EXTREMELY pleased with the performance. I have not noticed any heating up what so ever. The screen, speed and smoothness.... Love it.

Nightshades

May 5, 2011
Visit site
bodehart,
I am having the same issue, if you know of a work around please share it. Both me and my wifes phones have been rooted on stock. We have both received the OTA update but can not get it to install. About a hour or so later we get the notification again that we can download and install.