lgx4-optim-20-2.jpg

LG Optimus Cases, LG Optimus Commuter Series Case // OtterBox.com

$34.95

Available soon

Reactions: Doomed#AC

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Wow that is really nice. I wonder how thick it is. My hard case is too thick to allow the phone to fit in an iPhone 3G cradle, but my thinner TPU case is perfect. However, the TPU case does interfere with easy use of the power and side buttons - the Otter looks better designed there. Don't care if the SD card slot is inaccessible, b/c I use mine as a permanent storage w/ apps running from it anyway.

$35 though... ouch. My two cases were $5 each, shipped.

gilbequick

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Looks nice, but there's no way in hell I'm going to pay $35 for that. The $7-shipped-to-my-door-case from ebay is holding up great.

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Check the show off your cases thread. I've got a link and pics on there.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I check the webpage everyday to see if this is available or at least up for pre-orders. Beezy and I plan on supporting the Optimus S for a looooong time to come so i need something to protect my baby.

Come on otterbox ... take my money already :)

Reactions: basketthis

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
After shipping it comes to almost $39 from OtterBox. However if you wait a week or so for stock to come in, it looks like a number of other vendors already have it priced around $27-$33 shipped. That's my plan.

mangust

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered mine. Here is what I did to get discounts.
Use the coupon code PSPNEagles04 to get 20% off and free shipping. The total is $27.96.

You can get a little more $ back by joining Mr. Rebates. The Otter Box cash back is 6% (about $1.68 in this case) plus you get $5.00 for joining.

Reactions: cmags and darktoy

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Anybody receive theirs yet? I'm interested to see what the top and more importantly, the bottom ports look like before jumping. I've had trouble with various cases with cables fitting through.

mangust

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I got mine a few days ago. I'll try to take some pictures later today, for now just a verbal description. However, the pictures on the Otterbox site are actually very good. The smooth part is the silicone cover while the brushed part and sides are the plastic cover. The top, bottom, and the front of the phone are protected only by the silicone part about 2mm thick. The back and the side portions of the silicon are about 1mm thick as this is where the plastic part clips on.
The bumps you see on the sides and the top are part of the silicon cover protecting the buttons. These are excellent and provide fantastic tactile feedback.

The headphone and USB port are also protected by the silicone part with a flip open cut out. They are easy to open and are large enough not to interfere even with large plugs. There are two openings in the back for the camera and the external speaker.
Curriosly, the left part of the silicone cover has holes that mirror the button covers on the right. As far as I can tell they serve no function other than a partial opening to the memory card. However, this portion is also protected by the plastic piece so the memory card is fully covered. If you need a frequent access to the SD slot, this case is not for you.

The overall quality is top notch. The cut outs, plugs, button covers: everything is perfectly aligned.

The screen protector is included. It is a clear, self-adhesive, dry-apply type. It is slightly smaller than the actual screen, so a slight misalignment won't be an issue. I still managed to be a bit off on the first attempt but had no issues repositioning it. No air bubble at all: make sure your screen is perfectly clean and apply the protector slowly using the included plastic card to push the air out as you lay it down. There are no cut outs for the sensors on top but I did not notice any adverse effect on performance. The protector feels a little rubbery at first but with a little finger grease it becomes smooth.

So, is this case worth about $30? If spending more than $10 on a case is not for you than a TPU case from eBay is great. On the other hand, if you are looking for a finely engineered and precision crafted piece of protection, the Otterbox Commuter is exactly that. You’ll pay for it but you won’t be disappointed. My only wish: more color choices an an option for a lanyard.

Captain Niko

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I bought this as soon as I bought my phone. I love it. Its a wonderful case that looks and feels awesome. Its a real quality product. I had a little trouble with the screen protector but my girlfriend gave me this tip that one of the tech guys had told her about when she got her first smart phone a few years back. Supposedly you spray the STICKY side of your screen protector liberally with some windex, let the excess drip off and then place it on your screen. This is supposed to allow you to slide the screen protector perfectly into place. The girlfriends done it like twice now but i had already applied mine when she told me this. Hope it helps!

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Got mine on the mail yesterday. Ordered it from Amazon for about $25 shipped. Here are shots of the ports on the top and bottom that there didn't seem to be any pics of online previously. The headphone jack cover seems useful but I may trim off the USB cover - its in the way.

IMG_20110401_121048.jpg

IMG_20110401_121056.jpg

Reactions: denshigomi

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Got mine on the mail yesterday. Ordered it from Amazon for about $25 shipped. Here are shots of the ports on the top and bottom that there didn't seem to be any pics of online previously. The headphone jack cover seems useful but I may trim off the USB cover - its in the way.

Looks awesome.

draperd

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I bought this from Amazon (loyal Otterbox user) and it rocks. I did have a weird problem with the screen protector. The phone wigged out and had a horrible touch lag issue until I took it off. Never seen that before, so no screen protector but the case it self is awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance