ARCHIVED: [Custom Recovery] Optimus S/ Thunderc-sprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

foolforfood

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok I ran through the instructions exactly, no error messages, but when I reboot recovery it just hangs on the LG screen. I'm feeling dense I admit.
EDIT: Got it, I was in fact being dense. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok, forgive me if this has already been answered (trying to make sure I understand it all) but I've got a couple of questions here:

Backing up the NAND will back up all your apps and data from the main memory, correct?

But you still can't restore apps from a different rom to a new one, correct? This is just so that you can put everything back the way it was before if you change your mind? Can we save app data to restore onto a new rom?

Also, what about apps that are stored on your SD card, and their data? Can that be recovered into a new rom?
I know a lot of this is really Android 101 and not much to do with the Optimus in particular... did some searching on the forum and finding a lack of stickies on the subject, really.

And while we're at it, what about backing up and restoring SMS and call logs?

Does this handle all of that, or do I need to look into external applications that do that first?

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
[noob]

Could someone please make some stupid super easy instructions for a noob who knows nothing about adb and rooting to do this?

[/noob]

seconded. The ThunderROM thread says no questions about how to flash, for all that come here. Here, everyone seems to already know what a custom recovery is, how it works, and all the details of backup/restoring.

There doesn't seem to be an easily recognizable place for n00bs to start!

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
[noob]

Could someone please make some stupid super easy instructions for a noob who knows nothing about adb and rooting to do this?

[/noob]

Whats your questions?

seconded. The ThunderROM thread says no questions about how to flash, for all that come here. Here, everyone seems to already know what a custom recovery is, how it works, and all the details of backup/restoring.

There doesn't seem to be an easily recognizable place for n00bs to start!

What the main things you would like to know?

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok, this is my first Android device (after a long intimate relationship with hacking up custom roms for Windows Mobile), so the process here is new to me.
But I would imagine there are folks with even less experience here than me, and the Optimus is a hot phone especially for Android newbies.

I've been trying to ask questions (in fact, my most recent one is just a few posts back at #43) which have gone largely unanswered. :(

Here it is in a nutshell:

What exactly is the process needed to go from happily using a rooted stock ROM to a custom ROM such as yours?
I gather that I need to load your rom onto the root of my SD card, and then I have to use this custom recovery to load it up.

But before I even do that, what kind of backups do I make, and how are they used? Will any information be recoverable onto a new rom (applications on SD, data, sms, call history, etc)?

Or is everyone expected to start over from scratch each time a new rom is flashed?

Then, how does one use the custom recovery? There are an awful lot of options on the first post, and not all of them are relevant to the average user... for example, the way it is worded, it appears that there are two ways to load up the custom recovery system. One is by issuing some adb commands, another seems to be by pressing some keys and holding them on boot. Or does the latter not work until the former is performed?

Basically, there is no one location that explains the procedure to do this as there has been for other devices in the past.
I started looking up tutorials for other devices, but I'm not sure how much of process is device-specific, which could just confuse us even further.

The reason I wanted to PM this instead of posting here is because I intend to write a comprehensive tutorial for n00bs to help others like me after I understand the process (as I did for the HTC Titan back in the day on XDA and PPCGeeks). Also, I didn't feel the need to point out publicly my previous questions that are not getting answered. It makes me sound a little bit sad. ;)

Reactions: mike9670

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
http://forum.androidcentral.com/hacking/6037-general-rom-faq.html

Have a read of that i think it should answer almost all your questions.

Thank you, sir. This wasn't as easy to find as you may expect. I would consider linking it in the first post on the ThunderROM thread as well.

EDIT: Actually, this was mostly just definitions and hardly answered any of my questions at all!!
I know what a ROM is, and I get that custom recovery is needed to load it. I also get that nand backup will let me recover, and I said all that above. Ugh.
:mad:

ltrz

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
okay...big issue..

did the Custom Recovery etc..and was about to throw in ThundeROM...
well a friend wanted to check out the System Recovery how it looked etc..i have no clue what they did but now..

I can't get out of the Custom Recovery..(build: RA-thunderc-1.1.0-GNM)

its almost like everything i did was thrown out the window.

is this pretty much the dreaded BRICK?? (if not, any suggestions to get out of this? im not a newbie to rooting/custom recovery etc.. but i am really clueless on this one)

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
okay...big issue..

did the Custom Recovery etc..and was about to throw in ThundeROM...
well a friend wanted to check out the System Recovery how it looked etc..i have no clue what they did but now..

I can't get out of the Custom Recovery..(build: RA-thunderc-1.1.0-GNM)

its almost like everything i did was thrown out the window.

is this pretty much the dreaded BRICK?? (if not, any suggestions to get out of this? im not a newbie to rooting/custom recovery etc.. but i am really clueless on this one)

Use reboot from the menu. If you still get thrown back into it, try reflashing the ThundeROM zip using said recovery.

The LG Optimus S, by design, if you pull the battery, when you put it back it goes back to the same kernel mode. So if you are trying to get out of recovery by pulling the battery, you will end up back in recovery.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok, this is my first Android device (after a long intimate relationship with hacking up custom roms for Windows Mobile), so the process here is new to me.
But I would imagine there are folks with even less experience here than me, and the Optimus is a hot phone especially for Android newbies.

I've been trying to ask questions (in fact, my most recent one is just a few posts back at #43) which have gone largely unanswered. :(

Here it is in a nutshell:

What exactly is the process needed to go from happily using a rooted stock ROM to a custom ROM such as yours?
I gather that I need to load your rom onto the root of my SD card, and then I have to use this custom recovery to load it up.

To go from stock with root to a custom rom.
-First you must have a recovery
-Then you should download the rom and tranfer it to the root of sdcard.
-Boot into your custom recovery.
-Make a nadroid backup
-Usually you wipe everything coming from stock to custom roms.(this step depends on the rom/developers set up.
-flash the NameOfRom.zip
-Reboot

But before I even do that, what kind of backups do I make, and how are they used? Will any information be recoverable onto a new rom (applications on SD, data, sms, call history, etc)?

There are several ways to back this stuff up.
-apps=astro,appbrain,titanium backup or mybackup
-data,sms,call history=titanium backup,Mybackup,or search "backup" in market theres plenty of apps.Remember you will always have to sign in with your main google user name and password cause that's how you log into market to download those apps again.

Or is everyone expected to start over from scratch each time a new rom is flashed?

Not always sometimes it can't be helped.If you were building a rom and went to make a update and no matter how hard you tried it seemed to always give errors or problems when you reboot after flashing.Then your hands are pretty much tied you can eithe not update the rom or inform all users that they have to wipe.It sucks having to make the user wipe everything but think about the developers they have to wipe and flash countless amount of times to try and test everything they can before releasing.

Then, how does one use the custom recovery? There are an awful lot of options on the first post, and not all of them are relevant to the average user... for example, the way it is worded, it appears that there are two ways to load up the custom recovery system. One is by issuing some adb commands, another seems to be by pressing some keys and holding them on boot. Or does the latter not work until the former is performed?

There are several way to get into recovery.
-adb reboot recovery <-can only be done if phone is on and plugged into computer.
-reboot recovery <-that would using a terminal on your phone
-power off,then hold volume down+home and power
-apps like quickboot

Basically, there is no one location that explains the procedure to do this as there has been for other devices in the past.
I started looking up tutorials for other devices, but I'm not sure how much of process is device-specific, which could just confuse us even further.

The reason I wanted to PM this instead of posting here is because I intend to write a comprehensive tutorial for n00bs to help others like me after I understand the process (as I did for the HTC Titan back in the day on XDA and PPCGeeks). Also, I didn't feel the need to point out publicly my previous questions that are not getting answered. It makes me sound a little bit sad. ;)

Answers are in bold above.

pr savage

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to the android system just made the leap after a year of blackberry. I want to root my phone but I have no experience whatsoever in this. I would love to do it myself, but don't know what to do or were to start. DON'T WANT TO BRICK IT. I have no experience in programming. Where can I learn the basic? PLZ help me out here I would appreciate it a lot thanks! It's a newbie thing. hahaha!!

mfldmike

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to the android system just made the leap after a year of blackberry. I want to root my phone but I have no experience whatsoever in this. I would love to do it myself, but don't know what to do or were to start. DON'T WANT TO BRICK IT. I have no experience in programming. Where can I learn the basic? PLZ help me out here I would appreciate it a lot thanks! It's a newbie thing. hahaha!!

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s/43108-how-root-lg-optimus-s.html

Good idea to start here...

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Answers are in bold above.

A noobs guide to recovery mode would be great. I have no clue how to use adb.

Thanks Beezy!

I actually ended up reading through everything until about 3am, and then decided to take a leap of faith and just do it.
I successfully flashed to your rom without losing any data, save for the call logs (not sure where that went wrong, but you live and learn).

However with all due respect to drellisdee for this wonderful tool, his instructions on the first post can be confusing to the uninitiated. For example, one might think that just copying the file over to the root of the SD card and using that button combination will boot into custom recovery (its not clear that the terminal commands must come first in order to replace LG's own first... in fact, if you don't know how a custom recovery works you may be unaware that you're actually supposed to replace LG's custom recovery at all).
Personally, I opened up an adb shell and pasted, line by line, the commands drellisdee gave us, however it did not work. Nor did it give me an error. Then I realized- I had pasted the entire line, including the # at the beginning, so it was just echoing the command back to me without doing anything at all.

Eventually I figured it out, but like you pointed out for the Hero, many devices across multiple forums have specific beginner instructions that assume the user has never touched adb shell or anything before... which is important in case this is their first Android handset.
In the case of the Optimus, being such a cheap phone that is surprisingly good, I think this might be a lot of people's first foray into Android.

If I have time later today, I'll try to write up a complete n00b tutorial in a new thread, including recommendations to back up and restore user data. Thanks again for the taking the time to respond to my specific instructions, and for making the Optimus even more awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.