I'm not geek enough :(

gregglynn

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Really wanted to try the Reborn ROM on my Optimus S but alas, I'm not enough of a geek to figure it out.

I've tried 3 different methods found on these boards to obtain root and have failed each time. Any advice? Learn to live with what I've got most likely.... :)

twitchet

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
gingerbread is android 2.3 os gingerbreak is what you need to do to root your phone but if you use gingersnap it will do it for you with one click of a button

Jessicalt1

Lover of all things Andi
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Do Gingerbreak it's very easy and you can do it straight from your phone. Then download titanium backup and backup everything, download Terminal emulator and you can do the recovery from there as well if you aren't comfortable messing around with adb.

Jessicalt1

Lover of all things Andi
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Also check out Drew's one click rooting and recovery etc program. It's pretty awesome. :D

Ooops, I lied, looks like it only works to root VC right now. You're more than likely on VD and will need to go the other route mentioned. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: basketthis

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah its not about being geek enough but asking for help as you see. This forum supports each other like few others

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Reactions: Jessicalt1

gregglynn

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah its not about being geek enough but asking for help as you see. This forum supports each other like few others
Thanks! Got root using gingerbreak but when I try to load custom recovery I get hung up on a black screen after the LG logo. I've tried 2 different recoveries and both did it. Any ideas?

g

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! Got root using gingerbreak but when I try to load custom recovery I get hung up on a black screen after the LG logo. I've tried 2 different recoveries and both did it. Any ideas?

g

You should be doing this from adb shell (with the flash_image file and the custom recovery file already on the sdcard):

# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/xionia_cwma_12518.6.img
# reboot recovery

That will load the custom recovery to your phone. Original thread here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...covery-xionia-clockwork-cwma-v1-2518-6-a.html

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Yep that was the last one I just tried.

How strange; version v1.2518.6 is what I'm running on my phone and I definitely have one of the new display screens as I reverted this thing to v9 when I rooted it, not even 2 days later drew posted the gingerbreak walk though; gotta love irony. At any rate I would double check which build you got as I can't think of a lot of reasons it would fail. Good luck of course, sorry to see you've had such issues hopefully it gets sorted soon.

gregglynn

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
How strange; version v1.2518.6 is what I'm running on my phone and I definitely have one of the new display screens as I reverted this thing to v9 when I rooted it, not even 2 days later drew posted the gingerbreak walk though; gotta love irony. At any rate I would double check which build you got as I can't think of a lot of reasons it would fail. Good luck of course, sorry to see you've had such issues hopefully it gets sorted soon.
Appreciate everyone's help. Got it. Had to use screencast to see what I was doing, but the recovery screen was there. :confused: Got my Nandroid backup and flashed Reborn. Liking it but need some time to play (and replace apps). Wish I were more technically inclined but I'm getting it done (slowly). Thanks again! :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers