Super duper long repetitive threads ...anything ideas?

On3wheels

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm still pretty new to android and development forums but I've used news groups and message boards and forums for quite some time. I've noticed here that some of the threads and super long, but mostly filed with the same 3 our 4 questions over and over. I know to some extent its people just being lazy, not wanting to read at all, I've been there :) but it seems like some of these threads get so long that no one wants to read all 90 pages to catch up. and who would with so much repetition? Its boring, but by doing so they end up asking a question that's already been covered and recovered. and so begins the cycle. before you know it there its an obscene amount of repeated questions and confusion about the current state of the subject.
this happens on any subject but specifically the ROM threads are the worst. Is there a reason that theses threads are updated instead of restarted, our cleared? Seems like after an update the issues list would be wiped and we start over. Instead it just goes on and on....even the threads that I've followed from day one start to get cluttered and hard to find information.
If you agree, do you have any ideas to combat this. and if not, what is the logic behind the current system?
Sent from my LG-D2 using Tapatalk

Ps...I'm pretty sure this posted in the wrong area but I'm more familiar with the people here...lg opti users...don't care if the other areas suck :) but that's what moderators are for.

Last edited:

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm still pretty new to android and development forums but I've used news groups and message boards and forums for quite some time. I've noticed here that some of the threads and super long, but mostly filed with the same 3 our 4 questions over and over. I know to some extent its people just being lazy, not wanting to read at all, I've been there :) but it seems like some of these threads get so long that no one wants to read all 90 pages to catch up. and who would with so much repetition? Its boring, but by doing so they end up asking a question that's already been covered and recovered. and so begins the cycle. before you know it there its an obscene amount of repeated questions and confusion about the current state of the subject.
this happens on any subject but specifically the ROM threads are the worst. Is there a reason that theses threads are updated instead of restarted, our cleared? Seems like after an update the issues list would be wiped and we start over. Instead it just goes on and on....even the threads that I've followed from day one start to get cluttered and hard to find information.
If you agree, do you have any ideas to combat this. and if not, what is the logic behind the current system?
Sent from my LG-D2 using Tapatalk

Ps...I'm pretty sure this posted in the wrong area but I'm more familiar with the people here...lg opti users...don't care if the other areas suck :) but that's what moderators are for.

Agreed. However, no matter what you do, people will ask the same questions over and over. There will always be noobs/newbs. I have had to learn to accept this as well. Also, no matter how clear the instructions are, someone will choose not to read them and ask a question with a blatantly clear answer that was in the original instructions... :confused:

tl;dr = a vicious cycle that we must become numb to. :)

Magicman08

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Come here more often so you can be here at the beginning. Otherwise use the search within a thread function...

Sent from my LG Optimus cm7

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I actually read through the whole thread if catching up or researching.

Example - say I'm looking at the Evo 3D for my next phone.

I'll read up through the whole thread on any of it related to hacking because

1) I'll know what mistakes people made
2) I'll know what aspects of rooting/hacking/flashing are harder (because more questions related to it)
3) I'll know success/failure rates for rooting/hacking
4) I'll also know about different versions of the phone
(case in point, our Optimus S phones that had the display changed with newer releases)
5) I'll usually get some good laughs at people who DON'T READ!

It is worth it to plow through those threads!

On3wheels

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree with all those statements. But I don't see why each update, lets say for a ROM, doesn't warrant its own thread. Its very difficult to find pertinent information about the current release because you have to go threw all the posts about previous releases that are no longer relevant. the OP gets updated but retains the original post date. so, other than drew's dated release names, its almost impossible to tell (without way too much time and investigation) which posts refer to which release.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk

incarceration

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I was wondering the same thing.

Basically what I found out is just read the OP then click "Last" and work your way backwards lol.
That is, if you had read everything leading up to it you're more than likely able to notice where anything important started from the new release(s). Otherwise just kinda guesstimate by the page number or just start from "Last" and go back and find if there's anything useful\applicable and not just people that don't read.

Jessicalt1

Lover of all things Andi
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I like having 1 thread per ROM... helps keep the issues organized instead of having 10 (20...30) threads related to one ROM. Even if I have to read...and read....and read... at least I get some past insight along the way.

On3wheels

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I've been playing with settings. changed to l open to last unread post." it helps keep up my place marked a bit better but still like reading a text book with no chapters.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk