graphic errors on CM7

bweb

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Edit: Summary:
Various games may have graphic artifacts or issues using default settings on the common CM7 ROMs including Ath3nos, Drew, and thekraven.

thekraven said:
Try to turn off a setting ... go to Settings..cyanogenmod settings..performance.
Uncheck Enable surface dithering.
Make sure JIT is checked.
Turn on 'Lock home in memory" Check mark that one. This one made a big difference.

Turn off Haptic feedback helps.

these changes did not work for me, but thekraven's 2nd suggestion of trying Drew's Gingerkernel solved the video issues. http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...hacks/114652-kernel-cm7-gingerkernel-v01.html

My Original Post said:
Does anyone have problems with games/graphics/phone calls?
-Previously I was using Ath3nos, minor setting changes only
-Now I'm on Drew's Stable2 release with data2ext, slight OC. (Thanks to all developers involved)
In both cases I tried to follow instructions and wipe or format data/cache/boot/system, so should be clean.

In general, the phone works great.

One of the games has text boxes and after just a few of them the box behind the text will not be there, and it will crash if i keep playing it. I changed the governor to interactive just to see if it made a difference, it doesn't.

Plants vs Zombies worked fine on my stock Optimus S, I can see half of the loading screen, then it sounds like its at the main screen, and if i click random places on the screen, i get a popup window which i think is asking for my name, but the screen still looks like the loading screen.

One of the tower defense games occasionally will start getting super bogged down. I could run maybe a couple of levels before I see this occur. If it does, I exit, and relaunch, usually fine for a while (continues exactly from where I left off)

I notice tiny hiccups in games occasionally, an now that I think about it, possibly an audio stream had infrequent hiccups too, i'd have to remember which app i was using...

Anyway, This doesn't affect the real use of my phone, but I would love for a solution and I'm not sure where to start.

possibly related... on the Ath3nos install, depending on the day i'd have problems calling people... if i called i couldnt hear them (or the ring after dialing). I'd reboot my phone to get it to work again. might have been related to google voice, a couple times i uninstalled it and could talk without rebooting.

I know this is a lot of text... Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I installed chainfire3d pro with the beta driver. Its meant for 1 ghz devices but seems to increase my 3d capabilities. I use the powervr plugin also. I have my CPU set at 825 MHz.

sent from my Cyanogen Optimus

Last edited:

manny29

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I installed chainfire3d pro with the beta driver. Its meant for 1 ghz devices but seems to increase my 3d capabilities. I use the nvidia plugin also. I have my CPU set at 825 MHz.

How can I get that

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
From the market. Its free but to install the beta driver you have to pay for it. The plugin you have to find on the web. Type in lib glemu nvidia or lib glemu powervr. I use powervr. IMO I Think it helped my graphics capability out.

bweb

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
yeah, i had these problems before Drew, so i didn't want to sidetrack it too much. not idea if its just my phone or not...

1) is it just my phone? I assume other people who run either Ath3nos or Drew's and can play Plants vs Zombies and other things without issues. but i'd like to know for sure.

2) debug.... i'll try that formatsystem to see if it'll help.

bweb

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Here were my steps:

1) reboot recovery (loads into Xionia CWMA v1.2518.6)
2) "wipe data/factory reset"
3) "wipe cache partition"
4) go into "mounts and storage"
5) "format boot"
6) "format system"
7) "format data"
8) "format cache"
9) go into "Install zip from sdcard"
10) "choose zip from sdcard" - Debug-FormatSYSTEM.zip
11) "choose zip from sdcard" - update-cm-7.1.0.2-signed.zip
12) "choose zip from sdcard" - gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip
13) reboot
14) log into google account
15) install amazon app store by running apk on flash
16) log into amazon appstore
17) download plants vs zombies for my account
18) install and run

the loading screen stays up even though the game has actually made it to the main screen.
if i click the home button and relaunch P vs Z I get the more basic loading screen (black with bar vs picture with bar) and i can properly see main screen. I played a few levels, and one screen was missing the window behind some text, i tried to screenshot it, but it failed. after reloading/playing a few times i captured the following: attached is the problem i get with this game and many others, and what it should look like.

it happened after I was playing the first level, the last zombies head popped off and it froze. (actually, it probably wasn't froze, but the screen wasn't moving...) i clicked home button, and relaunched PvZ, I ended up on on the screen where I left off, i just had to click the sunflower (reward for the first level), i then went back to the main screen and saw the attached files.

Here were my steps:

1) reboot recovery (loads into Xionia CWMA v1.2518.6)
2) "wipe data/factory reset"
3) "wipe cache partition"
4) go into "mounts and storage"
5) "format boot"
6) "format system"
7) "format data"
8) "format cache"
9) go into "Install zip from sdcard"
10) "choose zip from sdcard" - Debug-FormatSYSTEM.zip
11) "choose zip from sdcard" - update-cm-7.1.0.2-signed.zip
12) "choose zip from sdcard" - gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip
13) reboot
14) log into google account
15) install amazon app store by running apk on flash
16) log into amazon appstore
17) download plants vs zombies for my account
18) install and run

the loading screen stays up even though the game has actually made it to the main screen.
if i click the home button and relaunch P vs Z I get the more basic loading screen (black with bar vs picture with bar) and i can properly see main screen. I played a few levels, and one screen was missing the window behind some text, i tried to screenshot it, but it failed. after reloading/playing a few times i captured the following: attached is the problem i get with this game and many others, and what it should look like.

I dont know if the graphics are the problem, or if something else is a problem and show up as graphic artifacts on my phone.

I just restored my sprint image and am re-installing PvZ just to make sure that its not just my phone.

bweb

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
after I restored my sprint image I went to amazon app store, installed PvZ, it loaded to the main menu first try. I was 0 for 4 while running CM7.

bweb

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I just tried REBORN for the first time. no problems to report.

Tried again, also wiped the dalvik cache as mentioned in a different thread, back to the stable2.

Not Fixed :(

Seems very weird that its only me getting stuttering and video problems so consistently with only CM7 ROMs.

Anything I can do to debug this?

sjc11221

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
You're not alone; because of your thread I tried out PvZ on Drew's stable 02 and see the graphics errors you see.

I don't get any graphics errors or slowdown playing anything else however (grave defense, refraction). The only other issue I have with the ROM is that the thumbnails in Pulse newsreader are corrupt.

Reactions: bweb

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Try changing the governer under cyanogenmod settings > performance to something other than smartass. Ondemand usually works well.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Certain apps/games have issues on drew's kernel/rom with smartass. Dont get me wrong, its a great build, its just that certain configurations don't work correctly. Try running Netflix with smartass on.... You will see. Usually you will only have smartass on if you have flashed the Ph_collin battery tweak...

Drew's rom works great. Everyone has a different experience though. If everyone's worked the first time, that would be something to marvel. :)

bweb

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
first, thanks sjc11221 for giving it a shot, and basketthis for your comments.
Certain apps/games have issues on drew's kernel/rom with smartass. Dont get me wrong, its a great build, its just that certain configurations don't work correctly. Try running Netflix with smartass on.... You will see. Usually you will only have smartass on if you have flashed the Ph_collin battery tweak...

Drew's rom works great. Everyone has a different experience though. If everyone's worked the first time, that would be something to marvel. :)

The work that they all do is great, I'm just surprised that I have as many issues with apps as I do while most people say it runs great. We all have the same phone, same software. Are there underlying hardware differences or something?

I did read about the netflix and issues others were having, so i tried a few different governors. I don't see any changes in app behaviors using the different settings, are the changes immediate after selecting the governor? if so, i tried smartass, ondemand, performance, interactive.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
first, thanks sjc11221 for giving it a shot, and basketthis for your comments.

The work that they all do is great, I'm just surprised that I have as many issues with apps as I do while most people say it runs great. We all have the same phone, same software. Are there underlying hardware differences or something?

I did read about the netflix and issues others were having, so i tried a few different governors. I don't see any changes in app behaviors using the different settings, are the changes immediate after selecting the governor? if so, i tried smartass, ondemand, performance, interactive.

Try a reboot after switching governors...

watson387

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
OK. I have no problems with graphics and such, but I have my governor set at ondemand with setcpu. That probably plays a role.

Sent from my Drew Stable CM7/ XioniaRedux lg-ls670 using Tapatalk.

ens04

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I never got graphical errors before but now when I play Fieldrunners HD, some characters are missing from the screen and some lag occurs. Is there anyway to fix this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781