Best ROM? Functionality, stability, performance, and updatability

DJSpinister

Banned
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi all I am just wondering what is the best ROM to go with, I see quite a few different CM7 ports, but then the developer has real life issues and takes a break from coding, or updating anything, so we are left with a buggy ROM. This is not to rip on any dev out there, I appreciate all of your hard work and I know there is a lot of time involved, I myself am starting to learn how to do all of this stuff on another phone.

I am just wondering which one everyone is using with the fewest bugs, and the most stability? Is someone doing a CM7 port that will be staying with his project for months to come? Are reborn and others updated frequently or do they even need to be? I know this is my first post but I am not new to forums, I am just asking, again please don't take this the wrong way I just want to know which ROM to use that will be around for awhile. That is all. Thanks for your time and reading!

-DJ

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Best ROM? Functionality, stability, performance, and updatabi

There are so many of these threads to refer to already. I'm not on a computer right now so I can't link them but a simple search will find you alot of info on exactly what you are asking. ;)

DJSpinister

Banned
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

There are so many of these threads to refer to already. I'm not on a computer right now so I can't link them but a simple search will find you alot of info on exactly what you are asking. ;)

No, not at all. I have searched through these forums, but there is no definitive answer. If there is, said rom is not being updated anymore and is 3 or 4 pages back. I guess I want to know if there are still developers here developing and keeping up with this phone. I know this isn't the best phone by any means anymore, but its what my wife has.

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

ReBORN would be my pick.

It's Sprint/LG based so it will provsion with Sprint. You can update your profile and get PRL roaming updates.

You can force roaming on ReBorn as well. The theme team here has hands down the best themes as compared to CM7.

Battery life on ReBorn seems to be about 25% better than CM7 for me. I did not notice any speed differences between the two. CM7 does give you newer android OS but it's ported and not truly 100% compatible with the Optimus.

Reactions: DJSpinister

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site

No, not at all. I have searched through these forums, but there is no definitive answer. If there is, said rom is not being updated anymore and is 3 or 4 pages back. I guess I want to know if there are still developers here developing and keeping up with this phone. I know this isn't the best phone by any means anymore, but its what my wife has.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/114919-best-rom.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/114865-battery-performance.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...att-life-increase-thanks-drewwaltons-rom.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/104478-switching-back-reborn.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...-rooting-what-some-first-things-i-should.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/95899-rom-kernel-combos.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/99633-looking-new-rom.html
There are SO MANY more..... Best thing to do is to try them yourself and see which one YOU like! :)

DJSpinister

Banned
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

ReBORN would be my pick.

It's Sprint/LG based so it will provsion with Sprint. You can update your profile and get PRL roaming updates.

You can force roaming on ReBorn as well. The theme team here has hands down the best themes as compared to CM7.

Battery life on ReBorn seems to be about 25% better than CM7 for me. I did not notice any speed differences between the two. CM7 does give you newer android OS but it's ported and not truly 100% compatible with the Optimus.

Awesome. so this one is updated quite regularly then I'm guessing? Or does it even need to be? Thanks again.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site

I am just wondering which one everyone is using with the fewest bugs, and the most stability? Read my links in above post. Reborn has no reported bugs. CM7 port by Drew has few to none. Others, I don't know. Is someone doing a CM7 port that will be staying with his project for months to come?Personal life takes precedent to hobbies for most devs. Are reborn and others updated frequently or do they even need to be? CM7 needed the most work. Reborn is built off the stock ROM so it is likely that it will not need as many "updates"
-DJ

Read my links above for more information, opinions, documentation, complaints, and all around general knowledge of the ROMs. Like I said, it will be up to you to choose one and see what works for you. If it's based on the support by the devs, then we will all have to wait and see. :cool:

EDIT: Also, there are many active developers. And the development for this phone has had a real good run and is still progressing! There are current and future plans for this phone so I wouldn't worry about that aspect. Even if the devs dropped everything right now, you could run any of these ROMs until the life of the phone is up without issue...

Last edited:

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm running. Drew's ex-006 I have no bugs at all. I've tried ath3nos and the kraven's cm7 ports. From my experience drew's is top by far.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk

im_electronic

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

RebornROM is the most stable, functional ROM for our phone. Its built off sprint stock. Added overclocking and stability tweaks. The only main problem people run into if that their phone was the runt of the batch and therefore doesn't overclock well.

Otherwise it's peoples preference to have the latest Android or various looks and feels.

I run reborn with Swype beta.other than that I haven't themed or customized reborn beyond what the devs have done.

Reborn id kept Up to date with what fixes sprint rolls out our can be integrated from the froyo builds.

This may all change once our phones get official gingerbread from sprint and the devs have time with it.

Reactions: DJSpinister

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site

Hi all I am just wondering what is the best ROM to go with, I see quite a few different CM7 ports, but then the developer has real life issues and takes a break from coding, or updating anything, so we are left with a buggy ROM.

As our resident Adviser basketthis stated, real life takes precedence over ANYTHING the developers do here. Remember that we do this with no expectation of payment/donation, and have real lives in which we need to make money to pay bills. Nobody can afford to spend 24/7 developing things for free.

This is not to rip on any dev out there, I appreciate all of your hard work and I know there is a lot of time involved, I myself am starting to learn how to do all of this stuff on another phone.

You might not have intended to rip on the developers or offend them but you certainly offended me.

I am just wondering which one everyone is using with the fewest bugs, and the most stability? Is someone doing a CM7 port that will be staying with his project for months to come?

Again, we have real lives that take precedence over anything here on Android Central. Also, stability is in the eye of the beholder. For some people, the CM7 builds are the most stable for them. For others, Reborn ROM is the most stable. Honestly, try a few out and judge for yourself.

Again I must restate that we are doing this for free with no expectation of compensation of any kind. Normally if you want lifetime support for a product you have to pay for it. Catch my drift? I'm not saying you need to be paying every developer a whole bunch of money, but to expect lifetime support is setting your expectations way too high.

Are reborn and others updated frequently or do they even need to be? I know this is my first post but I am not new to forums, I am just asking, again please don't take this the wrong way I just want to know which ROM to use that will be around for awhile. That is all. Thanks for your time and reading!

ROMs are updated when the developers (A) have time, (B) feel like it, (C) don't have personal life things that take precedence and (D) come up with fixes and hacks that make sense in the given ROM.

tl;dr
Developers have lives (often times busy ones), and it is (in my opinion) wrong to expect them to drop everything just because you want something updated and/or fixed.

Try out different ROMs and figure out for yourself which one is best for you.

Reactions: scifan and jstntp

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate everything all of you have done. Like drew said he is doing this for free! I'm tired of hearing people complain about devs not sticking with there project. I for one have a great running phone thanks to drew and all the devs on this project. If no one ever came out with another update again I would be perfectly fine with that . I appreciate everything all of you have done and I think all the self centered members of this forum should do the same!

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site

Drewwalton has spoken lol. He's right. The best rom is a MATTER OF OPINION. I don't even have that device anymore but what I saw these developers do with the Optimus still makes me come check in on this forum. I used a cm7 port but had to put reborn on to sell it and was blown away by reborn. If your recovery is set up right make a nand backup and flash your heart away. You'll then know what's the best rom for you. I understand you want devs to update but when you PAY for something you have consumer rights. When its free you're just a lucky sob. Ask anybody who went from a stock to custom rom. Why are you lucky? Because if that dev didn't take time out their schedule and put in that work regardless of being compensated for their time you'd have nothing to want updated but your stock rom. Then you could complain to Sprint who YOU DO pay every month. Start downloading and flashing and trust me you'll understand

Reactions: pergerson6

Sdude1200

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Drewwalton has spoken lol. He's right. The best rom is a MATTER OF OPINION. I don't even have that device anymore but what I saw these developers do with the Optimus still makes me come check in on this forum. I used a cm7 port but had to put reborn on to sell it and was blown away by reborn. If your recovery is set up right make a nand backup and flash your heart away. You'll then know what's the best rom for you. I understand you want devs to update but when you PAY for something you have consumer rights. When its free you're just a lucky sob. Ask anybody who went from a stock to custom rom. Why are you lucky? Because if that dev didn't take time out their schedule and put in that work regardless of being compensated for their time you'd have nothing to want updated but your stock rom. Then you could complain to Sprint who YOU DO pay every month. Start downloading and flashing and trust me you'll understand

AMEN BROTHER

Sent from my HTC Vision

DJSpinister

Banned
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

Damn, well this thread took a wrong turn. If anyone questions anything about keeping a ROM up to date its all about how they do it for free, and yadda, yadda, yadda, what gives you the right to question a dev you peon? I was hoping it wouldn't turn into that, but hey what can you expect when people treat everyone the same way no matter how clear they make their post. It is what it is, if you took it personal that is your problem, I didn't mean anything by it, its just a matter of fact, that's all. Me personally, if I make something I stick with it until it is perfected, but that is just my nature, that is how I was raised. No, I'm not saying I'm perfect so don't anyone go changing that one around on me.

Also, what about the Dev's I have supported? should I go find out where they live and knock on their door making them update their ROM because I paid them? I love how dev's act like they make no money off doing this stuff, when in fact I have seen posts very long with donation links to dev's. Even if its only 5$ bucks per 'donation' thats quite a lot of cash for a single ROM. Granted it isn't like that for every ROM I know, but still when I make a donation it is at least $50 bucks and it is at least a month of two after said rom is out so that I see the Dev is serious about what he/she does.

Anyways, I'm done here, thanks for the real answers to my questions, it is indeed appreciated. Again, if you took it personal, sorry, but you shouldn't have, I wasn't calling any one person out.

Finally, I do appreciate what the devs do, don't you think that might be why I am asking about this kind of stuff? Because if a certain ROM is kept up to date, meaning bug fixes, being able to do this, or that. That is all I meant, so please, don't take every thread asking about ROMs and their status's as being bad, because I never intended that. Apologies if it was taken otherwise.

EDIT: I have a Photon, came from the Evo, Evo 3d and there is nothing better than the Photon. :) I know all about flashing and whatnot, this isn't a matter of what to flash.

-DJ

DJSpinister

Banned
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

I'm running. Drew's ex-006 I have no bugs at all. I've tried ath3nos and the kraven's cm7 ports. From my experience drew's is top by far.

MMS doesn't work or yes it would be close to perfect. And yes I have tried said fixes, still doesn't work.

-DJ

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I had that issue also. I debugged the system and reflashed the rom and gapps and the problem was fixed. Nothing in this world is perfect. Phones right from the factory sometimes aren't even perfect. I like what drew is doing with this phone,plus he said the project was on hold. I'm sure his next update will be even better. I'm not gonna complain over something I didn't pay for. And if anyone doesn't like it revert back to stock.

Last edited:

rammv

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Wow amazing what people take for granted. Familys more important. What you do for free as basicly a hobby and too share it for free to the public comes second. Awsome rom.Dont let one bad apple spoil the bunch.

theBIG

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

Wow amazing what people take for granted. Familys more important. What you do for free as basicly a hobby and too share it for free to the public comes second. Awsome rom.Dont let one bad apple spoil the bunch.
I think he had a legitimate concern (as far as future support, although "best ROM" is clearly a subjective personal preference) albeit misplaced in this case. Unsavory attitude in his replies sure doesn't help.

What I find puzzling is that I see at least two popular stable ROMs here, neither of which looks abandoned to me (Reborn and DrewsCM7 are the two I checked out, I'm sure others are great too but I haven't gotten there yet.) I was disappointed that Drew's regular weekly updates stopped the very week that I found and and installed his CM7 build, but a quick glance at the forum shows he's still actively developing, and there's no reason to think the project is abandoned--indeed, he's very clear with the notice at the top of his thread that it is not, and future updates are coming (which I am very much looking forward to), and he's continued to release other related work (kernel.)

Both of these ROMs have fairly recent updates (4wks for Drews, about 6wks for Reborn), which makes it seem silly to worry that they're abandoned. Also, from what I've seen, both are perfectly stable and offer great performance--far more than the stock ROM, in my experience. As ROM junkies, of course we want constant updates and improvements and new toys, but even if development ceased today, these are great ROMs that stand on their own and either one is a worthwhile and significant upgrade over stock.

Last edited: