[How-To] data2ext for Reborn, Froyo 2.2 and CM7

Sparty73

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm not usually one to pump up a product, and I certainly understand the importance of learning how to enter simple code, but I thought the advantages of this outweighed the drawbacks.

There's a simple, free, totally legal program out there that can partition the SD card to ext4 no problem without deleting any data, eliminating the need to remove data and put it back on after the format. All you have to do is "resize" your SD card, leaving however much space you want for the ext4 partition at the end of the drive. You then right click the newly "unallocated" space, and choose to format it as an ext4. Once you choose to apply the changes, the program will take care of the rest, with no need to restart your computer or your phone.

The program is called MiniTool Partition Wizard: Home Edition, and can be found at Download.com at that link. They have upgraded versions of the program, which I can't imagine wouldn't be awesome, if you want to consider adding more features. Again, I wouldn't put this out there if it didn't make things immeasurably easier. :cool:

biggjoe

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Team,

Just wanted to find out where we are with the whole 'Cache2SD' issue?? Did we ever find a way to somehow use both a 'Data2EXT' and 'Cache2SD' mod together that could co-exist together?

As of now, Data2EXT works great for me, until I run out of Cache. I have about 100+ apps.

Let me know.

Thanks,

BJ

:cool:

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
1. Clear your caches! There are several apps to help you, such as CacheMate. Be very careful if you have applied ANY of the xxxx2ext mods, as your phone may cease to operate properly.

2. Do you really need 100+ apps? The Opti S has limited storage space; you may do well just to consolidate your collection a bit. Just sayin...

biggjoe

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Epidenimus,

LOL...thank you for the tip. I know I should consolidate my collection, you're right. I'm just trying to avoid that. I will try 'CacheMate'...but will it clear all of the various caches that get filled up?

I ask because so far, no matter how many times I boot into Recovery and clear both cache and dalvik-cache...and no matter how many times I clear cache through 'App2SD', History Eraser or Titanium Backup Pro...I still have that /cache/ partition filled up.

Also, you are right...I definitely need to use XXX2SD mods with caution.

That said, I was looking for a 'Cache2SD' Mod. Since there is so much out there, could you point me in the right direction...to a Cache2SD Mod that should work with our LG Optimus S?

Thanks again!!!

BJ

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I played with the data2ext mod for about a month and ended up ditching it. I'll politely defer your inquiry about a cache2sd mod to someone more experienced with that sort of mod. If you don't get any response in the next couple of days, you might try hitting up _themaplebar_ or basketthis, as they are more knowledgable than me on xxxx2sd mods.

the_maplebar

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Have you followed the steps at the end of HowTo that move /dalvik-cache to the /data partition (and the sdcard).

That freed up plenty of space in /cache for me. I haven't looked into anything more than that.

notebooko

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I tried to run this on my phone with thekraven's CM7. However when I get to the umount step it says "umount: can't umount /sd-ext: Operation not permitted" Does anyone know why it is doing this? I formatted my sd-card correctly twice and flashed the data2ext.

Edit: worked fine when doing it with computer. didn't work in terminal for me

Last edited:

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
** TheMapleBar & BasketThis,

What say you guys???

BJ

It has been a while since I've got into this coding. I've been packing the darktremor script into whatever ROM I'm using. :D

When I get some time, and I'm not on my way to work the morning, I'll read up on the questions here and see if I can help! :)

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Team,

Just wanted to find out where we are with the whole 'Cache2SD' issue?? Did we ever find a way to somehow use both a 'Data2EXT' and 'Cache2SD' mod together that could co-exist together?

As of now, Data2EXT works great for me, until I run out of Cache. I have about 100+ apps.

Let me know.

Thanks,

BJ

:cool:

What rom are you using? As long as nobody objects, I'll try to pack the darktremor apps2sd in with the rom for you the you're using and you could try that... ;)

Sdude1200

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
They have clearly stated that they will not help with any support or anything concerning any data2ext or a2sd. So I guess I just have to wait for someone more scripting savvy than I to come up with the script mods

Sent from Your Mother

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Works really good on a fleshly flashed ROM have my 16GB sd-card partitioned to have 512MB, and because my card is a Class 10 it is even faster then the phones Internal Memory.:D

Last edited:

eps1lon3

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity before I even attempt this:

What would happen if the microSD card was to be removed while the system was running with data2ext?

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

What would happen if the microSD card was to be removed while the system was running with data2ext?

My guess, nothing good since Apps like Facebook, Twitter est. run in the back-ground. I really do not want to even try it to find out.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

All of the apps that had been stored there would no longer function. I ran this mod for a while and unintentionally blew away the linking from the internal /data to the ext partition on the SD card, which is almost the same as physically removing it. I ended up having to nandroid restore and I stopped using the mod that day.

Reactions: eps1lon3

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
All of the apps that had been stored there would no longer function. I ran this mod for a while and unintentionally blew away the linking from the internal /data to the ext partition on the SD card, which is almost the same as physically removing it. I ended up having to nandroid restore and I stopped using the mod that day.
I have been using this mod now for more than a year, was one of the original people to get it up and running for reborn and then drew's cm7. I have done this and yes those apps would stop but all you need to do to was insert sd card & reboot phone. If needed in terminal re-enter data2ext--enable.

sent from my CM7/Reborn w/ 1 Gb internal storage Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did