[How-To] Manual Rooting of LS670ZVH/ZVJ (+ links to root ZVD/ZV9)

deadset

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH (temporary instructions)

Everything worked just fine. On to installing a custom recovery and then doing the whole thing again with a newer LCD Optimus.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Onto installing a custom recovery and then doing the whole thing again with a newer LCD Optimus.
Make sure you read the Note regarding the newer LCD.

Suggest installing android screencast if you are uncomfortable with blank (but otherwise usable) screen. Android screencast requires usb debugging enabled to work. It is probably easiest to start Android Screencast after step (2)

deadset

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I've already dealt with it before when I rooted it, haha. Thanks for the reminder though.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site

Make sure you read the Note regarding the newer LCD.

Suggest installing android screencast if you are uncomfortable with blank (but otherwise usable) screen. Android screencast requires usb debugging enabled to work. It is probably easiest to start Android Screencast after step (2)

Probably should write up some blind instructions for situations like this. For whatever reason, Android Screencast REFUSES to work in recovery mode for me, and I don't remember how many lines of NO there are at the update.zip flashing confirmation screen.

EDIT: I know I can just reflash the ZVD recovery and find out, but most people won't think to do that before diving in.

EDIT 2: There are no lines of NO, it just starts trying to flash update.zip. Derp.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Probably should write up some blind instructions for situations like this. For whatever reason, Android Screencast REFUSES to work in recovery mode for me, and I don't remember how many lines of NO there are at the update.zip flashing confirmation screen.

EDIT: I know I can just reflash the ZVD recovery and find out, but most people won't think to do that before diving in.

EDIT 2: There are no lines of NO, it just starts trying to flash update.zip. Derp.
I would be glad to add some screenshots of the screens for blind installs, but unfortunately can't do it myself right now as I wrote the entire guide up from memory. I still haven't gotten my Optimus back so I can't really test anything or get screen captures. Hopefully I should have one later today, but I'm sure by then someone will have filled in the gaps. I did try to list the number of button presses needed to start update.zip, which I think should be correct.

I don't know if it will work for you, but IIRC if you want screencast to work in recovery, you need to start it when you are in android. That is why I suggested starting it after step (2). Again, I'm going by memory, so maybe that isn't correct.

Last edited:

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
First off, great work everyone that was involved getting this out so quick.
OK, now a couple of questions:
1. After updating to ZVH, are any kernels that we can use that is OC?
2. Will data2ext still work?
3. There is only one custom rom that is available(yes for now), so all others are incompatible, correct? What about themes? Especially from UOT?
Thanks again, for your hard work!

sent from my CM7/Reborn w/ 1 Gb internal storage Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did

deadset

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

First off, great work everyone that was involved getting this out so quick.
OK, now a couple of questions:
1. After updating to ZVH, are any kernels that we can use that is OC?
2. Will data2ext still work?
3. There is only one custom rom that is available(yes for now), so all others are incompatible, correct? What about themes? Especially from UOT?
Thanks again, for your hard work!

sent from my CM7/Reborn w/ 1 Gb internal storage Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did

1. GingerKernel by drew enabled OC. Using it now with gRom, works great.
2. Not sure. If it isn't I assume it will be soon enough.
3. They say that VD roms will cause problems with VH so I wouldn't if I were you.

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

I'm going to wait for things to shake out and get debugged before I jump in. I'm hoping within a week we might have a Nick, Drew or Scrosler custom GB ROM that we can flash from Xionia without having to go thru the V9 recovery image and all that (wishful thinking?).

bertimus2002

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site

When doing it blind, how long does it take to apply the update.zip file? Mine isn't really doing anything and I don't know if I need to try and reboot to recovery again or what my options are.

I can't get past the LG screen and ADB won't work anymore after running the flash_image and V9 recovery

UPDATE: I was able to use KP500 Utils to get the phone to update since I have the newer LCD screen. In that process, it let me run the update.zip file to ZVH. Now have ZVH running and waiting to check on root status

Last edited:

Kamron

Punk a$$ b1tcH
Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

I'm going to wait for things to shake out and get debugged before I jump in. I'm hoping within a week we might have a Nick, Drew or Scrosler custom GB ROM that we can flash from Xionia without having to go thru the V9 recovery image and all that (wishful thinking?).

You're gonna have to update the radio somehow; so, unless the LG tool suddenly comes to life with the update, you will be stuck going through the V9 recovery image to get the ZVH radio. ZVD radio will not likely work with ZVH roms, so it won't be as simple as just a simple flash through Xionia.

There are great instructions here. They worked perfect for me. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

Great instructions - Went from Nick's Shell ROM to official rooted Gingerbread without any problems. The only issue I have, if you can even call it that, is that my free space went from 100MB to 43MB. I'm assuming that is because of Gingerbread itself is larger.

Kamron

Punk a$$ b1tcH
Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

ccrs8, it's mostly because the stock rom does not have the davlik cache to cache mod which frees up some space.

bertimus2002

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site

Since I am doing it blind with the V9 Recovery, how long does it take to apply update.zip to ZVH? 2 minutes, 10 minutes?

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

It's probably because none of the special modifications that Nick made to both Reborn and Shell don't exist yet on the only available Gingerbread ROM. Among these is moving a particular memory section out to the SD card I believe (that's where the ~extra 60MB's comes from I think). I'm sure that Nick's releases will have this back in place.

Kamron

Punk a$$ b1tcH
Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

bertimus2002, It doesn't take long at all on my phone, I would guess certainly much less than 2 minutes. I have a fast sd card (class 10) so that might make a difference too since the the phone is reading the file from sd; therefore, YMMV...

bertimus2002

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site

bertimus2002, It doesn't take long at all on my phone, I would guess certainly much less than 2 minutes. I have a fast sd card (class 10) so that might make a difference too since the the phone is reading the file from sd; therefore, YMMV...

I thought it should be a quick process, but for some reason when I follow the steps, even when blind, it will never restart into Android, so I have to use KP500 Utils to get my phone back, then try again.

Yes, I am also rooted.

Frustrating, guess I just have to wait until the devs find another way.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I'm hoping within a week we might have a Nick, Drew or Scrosler custom GB ROM that we can flash from Xionia without having to go thru the V9 recovery image and all that (wishful thinking?).
Unless someone can get custom recovery to flash the radio without bricking your phone or someone comes out with a brand new root exploit, that's not going to happen. Just needing the V9 recovery is a lot better than needing to revert everything to V9 (including Android).

mcasas

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

One quick question when i root zvh does the phone need to be in recovery

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

One quick question when i root zvh does the phone need to be in recovery
Yes, you need to eventually be in recovery, not for the whole process, but for the portion that runs rage. The instructions should tell you at some point to "reboot recovery". Prior to that you can be in Android.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki