Memory taken up by uninstalled/failed apps...

devores

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a question for my LG Optimus S and no this isn't related to the gingerbread update, but it happened before that and sadly wasn't fixed by the update. This might even be a general android os issue.

I am looking for an un-rooted option if possible because i don't want to maintain all my family/friends phones!

My issue is that I'm out of memory for apps. I had over 30 mb free and then i tried to install "netflix" but it failed but the memory was never freed up, took me down to like 12 mb. All apps that can be moved to SD card have been so this is only in regards to internal phone memory.

I restarted my phone multiple times, cleared all the caches, and even downloaded "maid" programs to clean up ghost apps but even some of those apps left a few mb's taken when i uninstalled them.

I've deleted a ton of apps but i'm still barely back above 22 mb. My question, is there a way to free up some of that temp or ghost memory? I'm almost getting ready to do a factory reset and start over.

Thanks for your time and help.

devores

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I've done searches on different sites for weeks and have never found an answer, if I missed it please direct me. thanks.

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Have you and/or any of your family sync'ed the phone to Facebook?

Thats one of the biggest memory killers out there.

Don't ever choose the option to sync to facebook.

If you're not wanting to root - your best option may be to factory reset and start fresh.

devores

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Have you and/or any of your family sync'ed the phone to Facebook?

Thats one of the biggest memory killers out there.

Don't ever choose the option to sync to facebook.

If you're not wanting to root - your best option may be to factory reset and start fresh.

i learned that one a long time ago. No this seems to do with memory still being used after a failed install or program was uninstalled.

devores

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have ASTRO and haven't been able to find anywhere where i can delete a temp memory,
I added up the "used" memory in the settings and it says i'm using over 155 MB but when i calculate it all out i'm using less than 80 MB.
I'm not rooted and so I am not using ApptoSD (other than what's in the market). I'm would love to have the other half of my memory for apps.
Any ideas?

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I have ASTRO and haven't been able to find anywhere where i can delete a temp memory,
I added up the "used" memory in the settings and it says i'm using over 155 MB but when i calculate it all out i'm using less than 80 MB.
I'm not rooted and so I am not using ApptoSD (other than what's in the market). I'm would love to have the other half of my memory for apps.
Any ideas?
You might try clearing out the caches for some of your apps. The browser alone can take up several MB's.

Also, most custom ROMs have a cache mod that gives you an additional 50MB and removing the carrier bloatware would also free up some space.

3Winger

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem on HTC Desire 2.2. The Netflix installation failed (file error even though the app is supposedly supported for android 2.2) and I lost at least 12 MB of internal phone storage. I have tried everything and I'm quite good at this stuff. It is not in any known cache or folder that I can find. Had this happen once before as well. I am afraid to try another install of the app...

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I would guess a factory reset is your best bet.
You can use something like titanium backup to backup your settings and reinstall your apps from market afterwards... slow, but like a clean M$Win install, it removes so much built-up system-made junk that you can't get at without bypassing the normal safeguards against user error (which is the only valid excuse I can think of for having thing unrooted anyway. Unless it's a company-supplied or borrowed device, once you own the hardware you should be entitled to do anything you want with it as long as you don't mess with your service provider's functional limits.)