Sprint Optimus guide to Rooting, ROMs, Recoveries & Themes

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
If you are interested in maintaining, and supporting content at Androidcentral.com, please contact me via PM so your work can be added to this thread.​
This thread will server as a master list of recoveries, ROM's, Kernels, and Themes. Have fun flashing!

Post #1 = Index
Post #2 = Rooting
Post #3 = Custom Recovery Images
Post #4 = ROM's
Post #5 = Kernels
Post #6 = Theme

Last edited:

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
re: Sprint Optimus guide to Rooting, ROMs, Recoveries & Themes

Custom Recoveries are what is used to make backup images of your phone, referred to as nand backups, and also used to flash custom ROMs, kernels, themes, and some other tweaks. You must have a custom recovery if you intend on flashing anything. The stock LG recovery will only flash zips made and signed by LG.

Recovery Name:CWM Recovery
Developer: Drew Walton
Summary: This is a Gingerbread recovery image based off the work of Koushik Dutta and Clockwork

Recovery Name:Xionia Clockwork
Developer: Zefie
Summary: RecoveryThis is a recovery image based off the work of Koushik Dutta.

Recovery Name: ThunderC
Developer: Drellisdee
Summary: This is a recovery image based off the work of Amon_Ra.

Last edited:

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Actively Developed ROMs
ROM, which stands for Read Only Memory, is an OS designed to run on your phone that has been created by a 3rd party, someone other than your carrier or phone manufacturer. These 3rd party developers are typically called chefs and introduce speed, functionality, and features to your phone, above what the carrier does. Develeopment or Alpha ROMs are not shown as they are still experimental

Rom Name: GingerROM
Developer:jstntp
Summary: Gingerbread 2.3.3 ROM built from Sprint/LG ZVJ source. See changelog in the thread for more details.

Rom Name: Team Hydro ROM
Developer:Team Hydro
Summary: Gingerbread 2.3.3 ROM built from Sprint/LG ZVJ source. See changelog in the thread for more details.

Rom Name: TheKraven's CM7 Port
Developer: The Kraven
Summary: ROM built from Cyanogen source. See changelog in the thread for more details..

Discontinued ROMs
ROMs listed below this warning box have reached end of life. These ROMs are not being actively developed any longer. Bugs may exist, but will not be addressed. Additionally there may be compatibility issues with basebands. These are kept here as a memorial for them.

Rom Name: Your Mom Rom
Developer:Jon Devere
Summary: Gingerbread 2.3.3 ROM built from Sprint/LG ZVH source. See changelog in the thread for more details.

Rom Name: Opti-ROM
Developer: Beezy, Drewwalton19216801, Backetthis, Jondevere.
Summary: Gingerbread 2.3.3 ROM built from Sprint/LG ZVH source. See changelog in the thread for more details.

Rom Name: gROM
Developer: scrosler

Rom Name: Reborn ROM
Developer: Nick7
Summary: Froyo 2.2 ROM built from LG VD source. See changelog in the thread for more details.

Rom Name: Drew Waltons CM7
Developer: Drewwalton19216801
Summary: ROM built from Cyanogen source. See changelog in the thread for more details..

Rom Name: Unofficial CM7 (Gingerbread)
Developer: ath3nos
Summary: ROM built from Cyanogen source. See changelog in the thread for more details.

Rom Name: sROM
Summary: ROM built from LG VD source. See changelog in the thread for more details.

Rom Name:aospCMod
Developer: aosp (the user, not the project), pfer10
Summary: ROM built from Cyanogen source. See changelog in the thread for more details.

Rom Name: slide rom
Developer: asadullah
Summary: ROM built from LG VD source. See changelog in the thread for more details.

Rom Name: Shell ROM

Rom Name: CleanROM

Rom Name:ThundeROM
Developer: Beezy, KsmithinNY

Rom Name:nROM
Summary: ROM built from LG VC source. See changelog in the thread for more details.

Rom Name: LEGO ROM
Developer: Beezy, Nick7, KsmithinNY
Summary: A Modular style ROM built from LG VC source. See changelog in the thread for more details.

Rom Name: CM7 Gingerbread

Last edited:

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Kernels are what controls the interaction between the physical hardware (your phone) and the software (a ROM). Please note that not all kernels are compatible with all ROMs. You should see the kernel thread for more specifics.

Kernel Name:Hydro Kernel
Developer: drewwalton19216801
NOTE: Works with GingerROM & ICS

Kernel Name:iScream kernel
NOTE: Causes issues with GingerROM

Kernel Name:GingerKernel
NOTE: Works with GingerROM

Discontinued
Items listed below this warning box have reached end of life. These are not being actively developed any longer. Bugs may exist, but will not be addressed. Additionally there may be compatibility issues with basebands. These are kept here as a memorial for them.

Kernel Name:XioniaRedux

Kernel Name:Xionia kernel

Kernel Name:Picasticks simple OC kernel
Developer: Picasticks

Here are a couple of threads to help you better control your battery with OC'ed kernels
Note: These are not kernels. These are for use with OC kernels.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...hacks/102280-mod-collin_ph-battery-tweak.html
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/101386-how-setcpu-profiles.html

Last edited:

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Themes change the look of a ROM. You should consult with the theme developer regarding compatibility questions. As a rule of thumb, to be compatible the ROM must be deodexed which can be verified by the ROM developer, and also the theme must be made for the source the ROM is built from, which the theme developer can answer.

Thread:Theme_team themes for LG/Spring Gingerbread Roms: gROM & Opti-ROM
Developer: jstntp and jondevere

Thread:Ztag's gROM themes

Thread:Theme_Team Themes for Froyo based ROMs
Developer: jstntp and jondevere

Thread: Phone contact dialers and Swype Metamorphs
Developer: thekraven

Last edited:

Jessicalt1

Lover of all things Andi
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Thanks Mike! You may also want to include the rooting guide links for VD for those who may not have upgraded yet, or have downgraded due to bugs.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site

Thanks Mike! You may also want to include the rooting guide links for VD for those who may not have upgraded yet, or have downgraded due to bugs.

Who are you? Don't you have a new phone? :p ;) lol. J/k. You are always welcome in the "best-phone-in-the-world" forum, if you choose to visit.

Jessicalt1

Lover of all things Andi
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Who are you? Don't you have a new phone? :p ;) lol. J/k. You are always welcome in the "best-phone-in-the-world" forum, if you choose to visit.

hahaha, I do but this forum is way more active than the Nexus one is! But in all seriousness, I sold my phone to a co-worker and she's letting me play around with it still. lol

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site

hahaha, I do but this forum is way more active than the Nexus one is! But in all seriousness, I sold my phone to a co-worker and she's letting me play around with it still. lol

Awesome! It's great having you around. I was just "giving you a hard time". :p Looks like you will have more playing around to do yet!

AshAshPixieDust

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

could you link stock roms if you get the chance. I am looking like crazy to find one that isn't just a broken link. (i was hoping you would know better than I do on where to look) thank you so much!! have a great day (yes, I am soo bricked. I am hoping that i can fix this..)

fwankbewwy

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

This seems like the most appropriate place to ask some things..

Well I realize some OTA updates messed people up; is it possible that I make a nandroid backup of before I update, and one after, then just restore back and forth to flash different roms?

Also I'm running cm7 and I made my own boot animation (just took frames from a few gifs, really :-[ ) but is there any way I could change the red LG splash screen to something else, specifically through adb?
I'm using kraven's cm7 port and bob's kernel.
Also what would my baseband version be on the cm7 port because it just says unknown so when I flash anything else I usually just restore to rooted stock .-.
if this wasn't a good place for this, my apologies.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site

This seems like the most appropriate place to ask some things..

Well I realize some OTA updates messed people up; is it possible that I make a nandroid backup of before I update, and one after, then just restore back and forth to flash different roms?

Also I'm running cm7 and I made my own boot animation (just took frames from a few gifs, really :-[ ) but is there any way I could change the red LG splash screen to something else, specifically through adb?
I'm using kraven's cm7 port and bob's kernel.
Also what would my baseband version be on the cm7 port because it just says unknown so when I flash anything else I usually just restore to rooted stock .-.
if this wasn't a good place for this, my apologies.

No you cannot nand back between zvd and zvh as the custom recovery does not flash the radio. If you are running kravensROM then you are on zvd.

Reactions: fwankbewwy

dillivered

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

I might claim noob of the year award, but I am just hoping for a general update.

I was all set to install a cr and then get working on a rom.

I used the gingerbreak utility in July, and then shortly after my life went berzerk on me. I haven't really had time to read up to a a level of comfort. I have a really rudimentary concept of what I need to do, but I'm hoping for a, "here is the cr I like, the rom I like, and the 1, 2, 3 etc of what you need to do."

I'm rooted, but that's as far as I've gotten. :-\

djdj17

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

i tried doing a custom rom and now my phone will not boot all the way up what do i do

djdj17

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

it stops at the the loading screen after the cyanogenmod screen. i tried going into recovery mod but it will not work it gets stuck on a black screen

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

What recovery did you install? Which ROM did you attempt to install? Please tell me that you did not use ROM Manager.

Last edited:

djdj17

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

in the rom manager it was the first one it there were only there i backed up before i tried this like it sad but i think i some how missed some steps

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

in the rom manager it was the first one it there were only there i backed up before i tried this like it sad but i think i some how missed some steps

Yes, the step you missed was reading before doing. ROM Manager is not supported and is known to brick this device. Please refer to this stickied thread for a possible solution. Good luck!

Reactions: djdj17

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech