I hope that Ice Cream Sandwich can work on the Optimus S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
No.. its HARDWARE specific on why we wouldnt get it... why do u think we still dont have a real version of Flash? Can anyone say old ARM6... just sayin.

I know there will be someone out there cool enuf to dump an ICS ROM tho... which will STILL be better than any update sprint would push.

I have hopes as well, but trying to be realistic.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Well it is fairly logical to say that cm8 will be ics. When they jumped from v6 to v7 it was going from froyo to gingerbread. It is only logical that they will begin work on ics at the first moment it becomes available.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I know there will be someone out there cool enuf to dump an ICS ROM tho... which will STILL be better than any update sprint would push..

Well it is fairly logical to say that cm8 will be ics. When they jumped from v6 to v7 it was going from froyo to gingerbread. It is only logical that they will begin work on ics at the first moment it becomes available.

CyanogenMod is a direct modification of the source code. While its possible to hack Honeycomb to boot on a phone, CyanogenMod is not a binary hack. It is in essence a complete distribution of Android (source included).

CM8, CM9, whatever it takes.
To quote SW, "I just hope that when the data is analyzed, a weakness can be found."

I am watching the forums and hoping for the best.

Mav. :cool:

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Official ICS release starts in 17 minutes.
It is in Hong Kong which is exactly 12 hours difference.

You can watch on YouTube/android I think.

As stated, hoping it can be made to work on the Optimus line.

P.S. I am in love with the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G. Don't tell my wife. :p

xplode196

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm watching it here at engadget.com, but I know there's another one in Gizmodo. Pretty cool stuff, hopefully if it ever gets into our phone, we can use some of the cooler features even if we're lacking a bit of the hardware.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm watching it here at engadget.com, but I know there's another one in Gizmodo. Pretty cool stuff, hopefully if it ever gets into our phone, we can use some of the cooler features even if we're lacking a bit of the hardware.

I'd be willing to bet that the currently available proprietary libraries (which are required in order to compile a working CyanogenMod (or AOSP) build will be absolutely incompatible with ICS.

I could be totally wrong but consider that we'd be using version 2.3 libraries on version 4.0 system software. Something about that says "not gonna work" to me.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I could be totally wrong but consider that we'd be using version 2.3 libraries on version 4.0 system software

Well, when you say it like that... ;)

That is actually a good point.
It is probably too big of a jump from one system to the other to be able to work.

As someone else said in this thread, some buckaroo developer will try and if it works, I am sure we will hear about it. :D

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I may be the only one on this board that get's the reference... 220,221 - whatever it takes...

It seems so.
Of course I am quoting from the now classic, "Mr Mom (1983)
Mr. Mom (1983) - IMDb

Jack Butler: Wanna beer?
Ron Richardson: It's 7 o'clock in the morning.
Jack Butler: Scotch?
Ron Richardson: Not during working hours. Ooooh, sorry pal.
Jack Butler: No problem. Come on over here Ron. Let me show you what I'm doing, taking advantage of some of the time off. To, uh, add a whole new wing on here. Gonna rip these walls out and, uh, of course re-wire it.
Ron Richardson: Yeah, you gonna make it all 220?
Jack Butler: Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Bump.
Want to keep this info out there so that if/when an amazing developer ports ICS to our Optimus', he or she knows where to find us. :)

Sent from the future using my Android Optimus S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae