need help rooting

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Not to be pedantic either, but the stickies could use definitely use some attention. They are exceptionally fragmented and confusing for new folks at this point in terms of how to root and what's what. The web of estranged links is quite puzzling. Now, I'll be the first to e-smack somebody for using ROM Manager, but if they genuinely want to learn now, it has become much more difficult than it was before the ZVH fiasco.

I suggest that someone with the necessary privileges modify/consolidate the stickies so that it is more direct and allows noobs to determine what they have quickly, and presents them with the appropriate action options. Perhaps even a quick explanation of what a radio or baseband is, that custom recoveries do not mess with it, and how we have 2 working versions in play for this device? I hereby volunteer to help.

Pretend you are coming to this device section for the first time with your recently purchased ZVH device. Play dumb and try to figure out how to own that thing in your hand using this site. Good luck!

And now that Drew has graciously posted a new custom recovery option, someone who knows the difference should explain to those who don't what the difference is and make a recommendation or present the options to them. If all of the answers about a custom recovery or ROM are not apparent in the first 2-3 posts, then that thread is not maintained. I don't care if you just uploaded a new version 2 hours ago; if people can't figure out why they should/shouldn't use it, it is just a point of confusion.

Further, how the hell is it that we have a couple of automated WIndows tools to root a ZVH device, yet no manual way to root it using Linux?? Isn't this like telling a Mayan or an Egyptian that there is no sun, then handing him a digital watch and a bottle of Coppertone to further his understanding of the universe?
agreed. I've been thinking about creating one large rooting-recov-rom-kernel-theme thread that includes definitions and explanations.

clodfelterac

Samurai Dev
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I read that 2.3.3 update doesn't allow root access... this was for my bros moto droid1 though not optimistic... and he's not happy about it after he's seen what I've done with my optimistic v... when I rooted my v it was froyo so gingerbreak worked for me... hope this helps...

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
agreed. I've been thinking about creating one large rooting-recov-rom-kernel-theme thread that includes definitions and explanations.
That does it then. I'm taking the lead on it and we'll sort it out. If folks want something else linked or added, I can always add it later. I would welcome your input.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Not to be pedantic either, but the stickies could use definitely use some attention. They are exceptionally fragmented and confusing for new folks at this point in terms of how to root and what's what. The web of estranged links is quite puzzling. Now, I'll be the first to e-smack somebody for using ROM Manager, but if they genuinely want to learn now, it has become much more difficult than it was before the ZVH fiasco.

I suggest that someone with the necessary privileges modify/consolidate the stickies so that it is more direct and allows noobs to determine what they have quickly, and presents them with the appropriate action options. Perhaps even a quick explanation of what a radio or baseband is, that custom recoveries do not mess with it, and how we have 2 working versions in play for this device? I hereby volunteer to help.

Pretend you are coming to this device section for the first time with your recently purchased ZVH device. Play dumb and try to figure out how to own that thing in your hand using this site. Good luck!

And now that Drew has graciously posted a new custom recovery option, someone who knows the difference should explain to those who don't what the difference is and make a recommendation or present the options to them. If all of the answers about a custom recovery or ROM are not apparent in the first 2-3 posts, then that thread is not maintained. I don't care if you just uploaded a new version 2 hours ago; if people can't figure out why they should/shouldn't use it, it is just a point of confusion.

Further, how the hell is it that we have a couple of automated WIndows tools to root a ZVH device, yet no manual way to root it using Linux?? Isn't this like telling a Mayan or an Egyptian that there is no sun, then handing him a digital watch and a bottle of Coppertone to further his understanding of the universe?
Maybe If someone cannot figure out how to read through the stickies, half the time its because they are to lazy to do the research maybe they should not be messing with there phones programs. All the steps are there, all you have to do is read them and follow them. And then if you still have uncertainties ask questions. People here are always happy to help, we just ask that they take the time to read up first.

sent from my CM7/Reborn w/ 1 Gb internal storage Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Maybe If someone cannot figure out how to read through the stickies, half the time its because they are to lazy to do the research maybe they should not be messing with there phones programs. All the steps are there, all you have to do is read them and follow them. And then if you still have uncertainties ask questions. People here are always happy to help, we just ask that they take the time to read up first.
I agree that one should have some initiative and desire to learn and take responsibility for their actions before they assume control of their device in ways that can either improve it or ruin it.

I am also of the persuasion that we should keep things straightforward, present options, and help as we have been helped in turn. The current web of stickies has become rather difficult to navigate, especially with two basebands--each with different rooting methods, two recovery options, and these one-clicks (which cater to laziness and sometimes ignorance)... then come the ROMs.

Consolidating it would just make a better reference point for all. That is what I hope to do.

Reactions: aaronrw

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Reactions: epidenimus

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
especially with two basebands--each with different rooting methods
two recovery options
If the 2 basebands you are talking about are ZVD and ZVH, the same rooting method works for both. It probably works on earlier versions too, but hasn't been tested.

As to two recovery options, IMO if you don't know the differences, there is only one recovery you should be installing. Xionia works and has been around the longest. It has been tested to work with ##786# reset and privacy reset. It has been tested with many different scenarios. It has been tested with all the ROMs, different backups, etc. The new CWM5 is new and interesting, but if you have to ask what are the differences, IMO you are better off with Xionia.

The new CWM5 should be treated as something for advanced users (who are ok with resolving their own issues) until it has had time to mature. That's meaning no disrespect to Drew or Hydro, just a comment on the reality of how long it has been out and how many different situations it has been tested under. I have no doubt over time it could become a drop in replacement for Xionia with the users providing feedback and Drew and the team fixing issues.

Reactions: aaronrw

carryingmarine

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
ok, had to take a couple of days to get some things done and let my brain relax, couple of things:

1. Im not dumb.
2. Im not Lazy.
3. I have read 95% of the the threads and their respective posts, including the stickies, and while I do believe all the necessary information is in there somewhere, it was nerve racking and confusing for me, which is why I "asked" for help, and not "can I just pay one of you to do it for me".

now with that out of the way, I am ready to try it again, and re-root my phone and try the hydroROM again, if any of you are still around and would like to, I may have more questions as I go.

carryingmarine

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
1) connect your phone to your PC
2) download this file optiauto-sfx.exe, double-click and select Option A

There, done, rooted and custom recovery installed.

Ok, done this, and it worked, phone IS rooted, and the Xionia CWMA has been installed, when booting to the recovery menu, this is what I get:

-reboot system now
-apply sdcard:update.zip
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition
-install zip from sdcard
-backup and restore
-mounts and storage
-advanced

so I think Im on the right path, now more readiong on the HydroROM installation

carryingmarine

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Alright.....

HydroROM is installed and seems to be working correctly, AWESOME.....

seems phone is working great, however working on re-installing apps from the market, is acting strange, will continue learning.

carryingmarine

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
There is a known issue with hydroRom and apps. There is a fix for it a few pages back if you still have problems with the market

ok, still having the issue with the market, but other than that, AWESOME ROM,

I have read all 26 pages of the HydroROM thread 3 times, and even though I could swear that I seen the market update the other day, I cannot find any now, help please?

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
ok, still having the issue with the market, but other than that, AWESOME ROM,

I have read all 26 pages of the HydroROM thread 3 times, and even though I could swear that I seen the market update the other day, I cannot find any now, help please?

Post #78 hydro rom

Allright, lets try this mod and see if it helps with the reboot issues.<br />
<br />
Download and place on sd card.<br />
http://db.tt/eyXvV0hF (dalvik2dev-HydroRom.zip)<br />
<br />
-Install HydroRom beta and let it boot fully<br />
-Return to recovery, wipe cache and dalvik-cache<br />
-flash mod<br />
-Reboot and install apps<br />
<br />
NOTE: This will give you about 50 or so extra mb internal storage. It is similar to the dalvik2cache mod except fixes issues with market downloads/updates that users experienced in the past.<br />
<br />
Each reboot will take longer now because dalvik-cache is rebuilt everytime. <br />
<br />
On a personal note, I've got quite a bit to take care of in my personal life today, but please post your experience while testing this and I will try to check in once in awhile to see how its going.

carryingmarine

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Post #78 hydro rom

Allright, lets try this mod and see if it helps with the reboot issues.<br />
<br />
Download and place on sd card.<br />
http://db.tt/eyXvV0hF (dalvik2dev-HydroRom.zip)<br />
<br />
-Install HydroRom beta and let it boot fully<br />
-Return to recovery, wipe cache and dalvik-cache<br />
-flash mod<br />
-Reboot and install apps<br />
<br />
NOTE: This will give you about 50 or so extra mb internal storage. It is similar to the dalvik2cache mod except fixes issues with market downloads/updates that users experienced in the past.<br />
<br />
Each reboot will take longer now because dalvik-cache is rebuilt everytime. <br />
<br />
On a personal note, I've got quite a bit to take care of in my personal life today, but please post your experience while testing this and I will try to check in once in awhile to see how its going.

I seen this post, but what does it have to do with the market fix?
this is the updated ROM zip that I have already flashed

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
as well as moving dalvik cache it also has market fixes build in. Did you wipe cache/dalvik cache before flashing this mod?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1