All credit goes to amobley0 for the original post and instructions. I confirmed this works perfectly on HydroROM, and just couldn't leave this buried in another thread.

Following these steps will enable Infrastructure Mode Wi-Fi hotspot in HydroROM. This allows you to configure WPA2 PSK security for your hotspot network instead of having to use WEP with the wireless tether app included in HydroROM.

1. Install the LauncherPro app from the market. This is only a temporary install to give you access to LauncherPro's Activities shortcut feature.

2. Do not open LauncherPro. Return to your home screen using LG Home if asked, and long press the home screen.

3. Select Shortcuts, then select Activities (LauncherPro icon). Scroll down and select "com.lge.LgHiddenMenu". (Note: Make sure you do not select "com.lge.hiddenmenu" instead).This will drop down a list of items, the first of which should be "ServicesLG". Select "ServicesLG". This will create a "ServicesLG" shortcut on your home screen.

4. Press the "ServicesLG" icon. Scroll down to near the bottom and select "Data Settings". Next press "DUN NAI". On the "Extend modem" popup, select "No". This step will need to be done each time the phone is rebooted, since it automatically reverts to "Yes" after a reboot.

5. Uninstall LauncherPro and install Hotspot Widget from the market.

6. On your home screen, long press next to your "ServicesLG" shortcut and select Widgets, then scroll down and select "Hotspot Widget".

7. Press the Hotspot Widget icon to turn on the Portable Hotspot. If you have a Wi-Fi connection enabled, this will turn it off. You should see a notification message in the menu bar that says "Tethering or hotspot active". Pull down the menu and touch to configure.

8. Configure your Wi-Fi hotspot by renaming the Network SSID and selecting WPA2 PSK Security, input your Password, then select Save.

9. Give your hotspot a minute to show up as an available network on whichever device you want to connect to it, then connect and you're good to go.

10. ENJOY!

amobley0's original post
    01-24-2012 03:52 PM
    Hey guess what you and amobley0 are awesome. Works on YourMomRom too (I'll be flashing Hydro when its out of beta).

Again thanks, you don't know how many problems this solves for me.
    01-24-2012 05:01 PM
    Nice find! I can also confirm it works on Your-Mom-Rom. I have ADWLauncher EX, and was able to add the shortcut to my home screen via long press | Custom shortcut | Pick your activity | Activities | com.lge.LgHiddenMenu | ServicesLG(.Lg_hidden_main).

I wonder if the DUN NAI setting this secret menu changes can be cooked into a ROM somehow...
    01-25-2012 06:57 PM
    "I wonder if the DUN NAI setting this secret menu changes can be cooked into a ROM somehow... "
    Me too.
    01-25-2012 08:47 PM
    Are we sure this wont trigger the added charge from sprint?
    01-25-2012 11:29 PM
    Are we sure this wont trigger the added charge from sprint?
    I guess we'll find out
    pilot03 likes this.
    01-26-2012 12:30 AM
    Well I will be checking sprint.com over the next few days to make sure there are no changes. This just seems to simple to work, although it does!
    01-26-2012 08:53 AM
    I've gone through one billing cycle with no extra charge. I only used it for a few speed tests and some light surfing on one day. But my guess is that this setting removes the feature that causes the a zvh baseband rom from requesting an upgrade to your service level. As you may not be aware, the previous baseband roms would allow hot spot to turn on.

But be aware, Sprint can detect many types of use that are not mobile and could take action but generally they only seem concerned with users who use too much roaming data or more than a couple of GB per month. People with rooted phones have been using hotspot features for years now.
    rinard likes this.
    01-26-2012 02:32 PM
    There is a much easier solution. Download the free app, FoxFi, from the Market/Play-Store. It works perfectly (in AP/Hotspot/infrastructure mode) on HydroROM, gROM, stock ZVD & ZVH ROMs, rooted or not.

If HydroROM ever gets an updtate, I'd recommend including FoxFi and dumping WiFi Tether.
    04-02-2012 04:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD