[INFO] Welcome -- Basic Optimus S Guide for Newcomers [Info]

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
**DO NOT use ROM Manager with this device.**

Welcome! Congratulations on your purchase of an Optimus S and your interest in how to make the most of the device. We hope you find this quick overview and the threads in this section helpful in your quest for knowledge as to making your device perform better. I would like to assure you that, regardless of whether you paid $100 or $0, the arrangement at your local Sprint store, or your current benchmark score, you have made a great value purchase with your LS670!

This thread aims to provide you with a quick start guide or cheat sheet to figure out what is available to you, should you pursue the dark side of Android using your Optimus S.

----​

Some Background:
What you hold in your hand was intended to be a loss leader into the world of Android. It was originally released in 2010 with a more recent version of Android than anything else out there had, version 2.2.2 Froyo. Even the famed HTC Evo was still on 2.1 Eclair at the time (September-December 2010). LG was trying to break into the smartphone market and Sprint was trying to offer smartphones to users who would have otherwise not used them. Only about half of their lineup was Android then! LG had plenty more in store for Android and Sprint was pushing exclusive true unlimited data plans. See the relationship? The Optimus S was a vehicle for both companies to promote themselves--and Android--mutualistically.

It would seem that it was--originally--put out as a limited and disposable device for both. They would, of course, provide some firmware and interface updates, but the idea of supporting the device beyond its initial release version of 2.2.2 was likely not intended. I speculate when I say that, by 2012, they figured that you would already be on a newer Android device and/or Sprint would have found another gateway device for the purpose of conversion.

Why did I just read the above?
You should understand where we are. To put it simply, the excellent gateway product that Sprint and LG partnered to release has NOT been superceded in its model and this has resulted in unanticipated extended life for the device. Carriers love offering stupid cheap or free Android handsets to its customers and LG would like to realize more return for their newer fancier devices. Also, reading is a good habit to get in if you are going down this road, so consider it good practice. ;)

Technical translation:
The Optimus S has two stable software bases, both with their respective mutually exclusive ROMs: ZVD and ZVJ. ZVD was a continuation of the aging Froyo version of Android with which it was originally released. ZVD is a rock solid base with a very reliable radio (phone and data connection), from which our developers made some great ROMs for our use. ZVJ, released in April of 2012, is a native upgrade to Android v2.3.3 Gingerbread that brings some more integrated features and a new radio. The development and support is presently for these two radios and respective software.

About ZVH:
At the end of 2011, Sprint and LG released a half-assed upgrade to version 2.3.3 of Android (Gingerbread), to accommodate the extended life of the phone. The ZVH "update" was frought with bugs and is viewed as a broken release and bad codebase. LG seems to have tossed this out half-heartedly to meet the demands of the carrier, strangely showing its contempt for the device's success. Sprint later began offering free in-store reversions to ZVD and even recommends reverting on its website. Our developers produced some quality ROMs for ZVH, but with the release of ZVJ, development for ZVH has ceased. If you are running ZVH, it is strongly recommended that you move to ZVD or ZVJ using the guides referenced.

----​
We have two current stable software bases for this device: ZVD (native Froyo) and ZVJ (native Gingerbread).

How to determine what you have:
Press the Menu button --> Settings --> About phone --> scroll to SW Version...
It should say either LS670ZVD or LS670ZVJ. We will refer to this as your baseband henceforth.

Why it matters:
If you are considering using a custom ROM, each ROM only works with either ZVD or ZVJ -- not both. Basically, flashing a ZVJ ROM when you are currently on ZVD--or vice versa--will result in your phone and data not working. It is possible to change your software/radio/baseband, but that involves additional steps.

**UPDATE --1 August 2012**: A new method and flashable patches have been developed that, when applied, allow us to use previously incompatible ROMs designed for ZVD, ZVJ and even the Optimus V on either radio/baseband. What this means is that if you are on one radio (e.g. ZVD), you can flash a ROM that was designed for the other radio (e.g. ZVJ), then apply the patch and have your phone and data work in spite of the mismatch. Amazing!
(Thanks, nitestalkr!)

The advantages of ZVJ over ZVD:
It's Gingerbread!!
Truthfully, I have yet to see that answered properly. Gingerbread brings some nicer icons and some say their battery life is greater... it plays MIDI files... Beyond that? I have not read about or experienced any real selling points.

Relevant links:
Reverting to ZVD from ZVH

Updating to ZVJ from ZVD

How to root this device

Android SDK <-- ADB, the Android Debugging Bridge, is part of this.

----​

Okay, I've rooted. Now what?
**DO NOT use ROM Manager.**

Place your device in your left hand, raise your right and repeat after me:

"I am a conscientious device owner. I acknowledge that my device and I are capable of more than is expected of commoners. I have chosen a different path than that of a mere consumer, accepting responsibility for my actions and indulging in the rewards of my newfound enlightenment. With this power, I embrace the responsibility it carries. I hereby absolve my carrier of responsibility for my actions and forgive its representatives of their ignorance, as they do not obstruct me in my path. I promise to conduct due process of research in my install of new software, accepting and publishing bugs as they present themselves. I hold those who code their ideas in esteem and not fault, respecting their sense of benevolence. I shall not install ROM Manager, for it is the demon crutch of the weak and the swift vehicle to the state of brick. Should my path lead me to any sort of rapture, I promise to provide a logcat of the experience, denying no user or developer such blessing, in accordance with the GPL and those who revere it. nAndroid then Android always... mod on."

You may wish to install a custom recovery and do a nandroid backup of your current Android system.

What is a custom recovery?
Think of Recovery Mode or Safe Mode for your PC. This is actually a separate boot option with software that allows you to manipulate the unmounted partitions of Android. Want to flash a ROM or overwrite a series of system files? A custom recovery is the way to do it. Want to create or restore a back up image of your entire system? Custom recovery.

How a custom recovery differs from the stock recovery that comes with the phone:
Everything mentioned above. There is one thing that the stock recovery can do that custom recoveries cannot do--by design-- is change the radio/software/baseband version on the device. This is why you would need to use the stock recovery when switching radios/basebands (i.e. ZVD/ZVJ).

Custom recoveries available for the Optimus S and how to install them:

Cannibal Open Touch Custom Recovery -- New hybrid recovery that takes some of the best features from other projects. Works on all current basebands and ROMs, compatible with backups created in Xionia. Themed and fat finger friendly. RECOMMENDED.

Xionia Custom Recovery -- Based on earlier CWM and tailored to this device. Stable, works on all basebands and ROMs.​
----​
Okay, I'm rooted and have a custom recovery installed. Now what?
**DO NOT use ROM Manager.**

1. Make a nandroid backup of your rooted stock Android:
Make sure you have at least 250MB of free storage on your SD card. Menu >> Settings >> Storage
Reboot into your Custom Recovery:
Using either ADB shell command 'reboot recovery'
or the key combo:
Power down. Then hold Power + Vol Down + Home, let up when you see the LG logo disappear.​
Choose Backup & Restore --> Backup

Helpful Hint
ALWAYS do a nandroid backup before flashing a mod or ROM, installing a root app, or removing stock software. Please and thank you from your future self! :cool:

2. Consider a Custom ROM.

About Custom ROMs
ROM (Read-only Memory) is a term that more commonly refers to the phone's operating system, Linux with the Android interface, as a whole package. The ROM that comes factory pre-installed on your device is called "stock." Stock ROMs are fully supported by the carrier and OEM, but they tend to be cluttered with extra software, wallpapers and themes (bloat). This bloat can hog a lot of your limited internal memory and limit the number of applications you can install. They also have limitations and lock-downs on certain functions, such as CPU control, and theming. Using a custom ROM is the easiest way to cut the bloat without losing functionality. Additionally, many developers build in additional features and functionality that would be a chore to implement in the stock ROM, unless you really know what you are doing. Theming is usually included and also becomes much easier to tweak with Custom ROMs. Custom ROMs also tend to come with custom kernels that allow improved intuition, faster response, longer battery life and other cool modifications. It's all built in! Give them a spin. If you don't like one, try another. You can always restore your stock ROM, if nothing suits you.

What ROMs are available:

If you are on ZVD:
  • Reborn ROM -- Rock solid stock-based ROM with added features. You won't care that it's Froyo, because everything works.
  • sROM -- Cleaned up and nicely themed stock-based Google Froyo experience ROM.
  • thekraven's CyanogenMod 7 port (CM7) -- Awesome and so very customizable, yet more technical than others. Visual Voicemail works, too.
  • Joylicious JoyOS -- CM7 tweaked to look and sound like you sold out.
  • thekraven's CyanogenMod 9 port (CM9) -- Port of the new CM9 and ICS. Some features broken For testing purposes only!! You have been warned.
  • Quattrimus ICS -- AOKP and CM9 ports for the Optimus S, with nightly releases. For testing purposes only.
  • MIUI on CM7 port by Invicible Madness -- Different UI, similar to iOS. No real added functionality, but nice interface!
  • Rawrzilla MIUI v4 -- Interesting port of MIUI 4. Camera does not work.

If you are on ZVJ:
  • HydroROM -- Team Hydro's flagship ROM. Umm... awesome.
  • DanteROM -- Rooted, de-bloated, stock-based ROM with added features and theming.
  • GingerROM -- Rooted, de-bloated, stock-based ROM with added features.
  • drewwalton192168101's CM10 -- Port of Jellybean and CM10. Several things not yet working. For testing purposes only!

If you are a stubborn glutton still on ZVH:
  • gROM -- Pioneering ZVH stock-based ROM. Includes Flash.
  • Opti-ROM -- Highly customized. Features Dark Tremors ext mod for more apps.
  • Drew's CyanogenMod 9 port (CM9) -- Messaging and other things broken! For testing purposes only!! You have been warned.

A note about community-created Custom Recoveries and ROMs on Android Central
Android Central is a great and friendly community and we are glad you found this very active forum herein. Please be aware that all of these wonderful Recoveries and ROMs are produced for your use and supported completely free of charge. The developers and contributors are based in various parts of the country, have their own lives and jobs, and have come here to share their craft and provide us the magic to quickly train your little Optimus S to work like a bartending monkey at happy hour, complete with suspenders and bowtie. Please be mindful of that when asking for help with your problem, thank them often, and don't be afraid to buy them a beer or two if they have made your life better with their altruistic efforts. We don't want them dumping us to go make iPad apps!

Upgrades and mods you can make to your Optimus S -- No root required:

Device Specs:
Architecture: ARMv6
Screen Resolution: 320x480 (MDPI)
Wallpaper Resolution: 640x480
Default CPU Speed: 600 MHz
Internal Memory: 512 MB​

Good luck!

Last edited:

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: [INFO] Welcome -- Basic Optimus S Guide for Newcomers [Info

Awesome job! I agree with Drew: This NEEDS to be stickied. Could we add something about kernels like this:
The kernel is what controls the interaction between the software and the hardware. If I pass the menu key on my optimus, the kernel tells the software that the menu key has been pressed.the Kernel is what controls The ability of the user to overclock the phone (known as OCing). Custom kernels can also increase the responsiveness of the phone

Last edited:
Reactions: epidenimus

aaronrw

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

You weren't playing around were you? Nice job, if people get lost or confused with this in the STICKIES then well, :'( THIS SHOULD BE STICKIED!

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site

"...should you pursue the dark side of Android using your Optimus S."

Lol! Nice job on this!

From now on, in every "help!! My phone doesn't work!!!!" thread, my first question will be, "Did you reference this thread, read, and follow directions?". As should everyone else. :p Again, great contribution, epidiniminininiminminus!! :p

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

We could make this the designated noob thread

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Could we add something about kernels like this:
The kernel is what controls the interaction between the software and the hardware. If I pass the menu key on my optimus, the kernel tells the software that the menu key has been pressed.the Kendall is what controls The ability of the user to overclock the phone (known as OCing). Custom kernels can also increase the responsiveness of the phone
Good point. I just altered the OP to mention a bit about kernels and some other stuff about custom ROMs. I do want to keep this guide relatively simple and not confuse anyone, so I don't feel it necessary to go into much detail about what the kernel is and what options are available here. As far as I know, most of our ROMs tend to come with the kernel that is best suited to them; CM7 is the only real wild card.

aaronrw

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
You did it, top of the sticky list. Very well deserved indeed.! New users will feel even MORE at home and capable of having success.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

You did it, top of the sticky list. Very well deserved indeed.! New users will feel even MORE at home and capable of having success.
Bah! I just summarized it and made it a little friendlier than it had become. All the real work was already done by others like sfhub, telemike, zefie, all of our awesome devs and folks in the community. Before the ZVH introduction, I really appreciated how easy it was to learn and follow the process, so I just tried to get it back to that for others. I just hope it helps. :)

twtippets

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

Fantastic! Your-Mom-ROM got left off of the ZVH list. But, this would have been amazing to have when I first got my Optimus. You should also give a little note about saying thanks to the Devs for their hard work and awesomeness in making this device what it is.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Fantastic! Your-Mom-ROM got left off of the ZVH list.
I admit that one was intentional. I'm sure someone from Team Hydro will correct me swiftly if I am in error, but it is my understanding that HydroROM is based on and supersedes Your Mom ROM and that Your Mom ROM is no longer being updated for that reason. If that is not the case, I'll certainly add it on.
You should also give a little note about saying thanks to the Devs for their hard work and awesomeness in making this device what it is.
Done.

Last edited:

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site

I was going to recommend throwing this in the general optimus s thread too; however it has become more rom/hack specific... :p Great general info too though! For people who want to understand their phone, that is....

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

Whether it's this or another thread, there definitely needs to be a noobs-only thread or sorts.

If they don't post in this thread, I may have to make a thread that would (hopefully) be sticked with a title something like:

NOOBS POST HERE

it would hopefully be large and flashing, complete with an annoying voice telling noobs where to post.

erickrocks1126

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site

Noob post/question alert! ;)

So, successfully rooted and did a nandroid backup (thank you aaronrw and Va1ha11a for pointing me to this particular sticky).

Since this is supposed to be a noob friendly area, two part question:
1) In the recovery menu of Xionia, if I did a wipe data/factory reset, when the phone reboots will it still be rooted?
2) Or will that option just wipe out the personal data linked to the phone and maintain root access?

aaronrw

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

So, successfully rooted and did a nandroid backup (thank you aaronrw and Va1ha11a for pointing me to this particular sticky).

1) In the recovery menu of Xionia, if I did a wipe data/factory reset, when the phone reboots will it still be rooted?
2) Or will that option just wipe out the personal data linked to the phone and maintain root access?

Honestly I'm not quite sure. Probably won't harm anything BUT I've never done the hard reset personally.:-\

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Yes you will still be rooted. The persistent root was installed in your /system partition, which is untouched by the factory reset.

Factory reset basically wipes your /data partition (which is what you described in #2)

Reactions: aaronrw

erickrocks1126

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
If it jacks up for some reason then just want to confirm I go into boot recovery and restore the backup i flashed, right?

erickrocks1126

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
If it jacks up for some reason then just want to confirm I go into boot recovery and restore the backup i flashed, right?

Happy to confirm the wipe data/factory reset worked. Rebooted into the original stock "look"; no accounts linked to the phone that I could find. Root also confirmed retained; hooked up to adb shell and SU gave me #. Reloaded my backup prior to doing this and back to the way everything was just before trying this out.

Thanks again to all for this thread and the info contained herewithin.

Gaining confidence in messing around more...Now to try flashing a custom ROM. Prepare for more noob questions I'm sure to come! ;)