adb and terminal use

ddamienzz

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
hello i have been using this forum for a little while, and occasionally run into a tutorial where it tells me to use adb, or terminal or something like that. i dont know what this means. how do you do it?

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
ADB refers to the Android Debugging Bridge, it is a part of the Android SDK. It allows you to send commands and files to your phone when it is connected to your PC. You would need to install--or download and run locally--the Android SDK to use it (and the device drivers, if you are using Winblows).

Last edited:

ka5023

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
ADB or terminal refers to using Linux commands on the phone. ADB can be used by connecting the phone via USB and enabling debugging via Settings. This is a lot easier than installing Android Terminal and typing the commands via the softkeyboard. There are a few other ways to accomplish the same thing (telnet/ssh) but that's for another discussion.

-- Starfox

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I'd be happy to put a link to an ADB guide in the newcomers' post if anyone has a good source that is up to date, includes Mac and Linux, and preferably omits the fastboot and HBOOT stuff.

Reactions: ddamienzz

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I used the setup from ' How to flash rom without SD card '. Now I use adb for everything. :p
I sometimes use Terminal Emulator on the device, but having the real keyboard and ADB really makes things quicker. Either way, I prefer the manual approach, so I can both see what's happening and learn how to do things with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781