[MOD][A2SD] Mounts2SD [DISCONTINUED, READ OP FOR INFO]

ShadowEO

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
News:

5/24/12: I just reviewed the XDA forums post for Mounts2SD and I can now happily say that I can discontinue this modified package (Probably for the better), As of version 4.4.0, My packages are no longer needed. The Author removed all binaries to fix compatibility issues with ARM6 devices.

Please download from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1342387 from now on. (Unless you have problems with 4.4.0)

Changelog for 4.4.0:
Quote:

-----
* Simplified the way the partitions are found to avoid the need for special busybox versions.
* Added automatic control for CMDalvik to avoid activating it when 'getprop dalvik.vm.dexopt-data-only' is set or to force activate it when we mount a tmp cache partition.
* Added system property control for ROM devs that makes it possible to manipulate the script from build.prop.
* Added more sd-ext scripts to the auto deletion list used when flashing the script.
* Fixed wifi issues on ICS ROM's when enabling r-mount after full wipe.
* Fixed boot hanging issues with certain ROM's.
* Fixed problems with chmod and chown.
* Removed all binaries to avoid problems with Arm v6 devices.

Note:
Do to the more simplified way of locating the partitions, the rules has become more strict. The partition layout must be exact which means Fat32 as the first partition, sd-ext as the second and SWAP as the third.

5/12/12: I was messing around today and noticed I was getting Insufficient Space messages. This shouldn't have been happening. So I tried the following commands in Terminal Emulator:

m2sd data enable
m2sd dalvik enable
m2sd cache auto

It worked, BUT it borked the ROM in ways unimaginable. As such, I have re-added the 2.2.0 AROMA Installer based Setup Wizard which DOES work correctly.

5/7/12: Tested out the newest version of Mounts2SD with Kraven's Alpha10 Test3 (Alpha10d), The need for a separate package still exists since the mod developer insists on putting versions of binaries and libraries that are incompatible with our phones (Which also means I still have work to do for us :D). The newest package brings the version number up to 4.2.0, Changelogs available on the forum topic linked below.
I also have opted away from AROMA Installer as the developer did not sign his Aroma-config and Update-script correctly so the installer will not run.

3/21/12: Well after upgrading to Kraven's CM9 Alpha 6, I flashed Mounts2SD to test it out. It seems that it runs almost perfectly on Alpha 6 without a ramdisk modification, the only real problem with it was that it was flashing a incompatible version of e2fsck to /system/bin/ which caused the script not to work. I've removed the offending file and it works fine. The upside to this is that it is now compatible with all Optimus S ROMs available here.

3/20/12: Decided on using Mount2SD from XDA-Developers as the next base. Gonna work on patching the RAM Disk while installing so this can be flashed on the device without overwriting whatever Kernel or Ramdisk fixes you may have (And so you can use it with Kraven's intermittent ramdisk releases :D)

Modified DK_ZeroCool's Mounts2SD script.
You can now flash this ZIP directly with recovery instead of using ADB to install the mod.

Version Color Legend:
Use at you own risk
Good to go

Download (Text-based Installer): Here.
Download (2.2.0 AROMA Install Wizard): Mounts2SD 2.2.0 AROMA Installer

Install

--2.2.0 Only--
To navigate around AROMA, use the Vol Up/Down and the Home button to select.

Select Customize,
Select the following
Data
Apps
Dalvik

Deselect the following:
Cache
MemCache
Hit next
Only have filesystem set on Auto-Detect, it seems to break mounting if it's not.
Change the Readahead buffer to match your SD Card's Class (Mine was set correctly as a Class 4, not sure about others)

Install.
-- END 2.2.0 only instructions --

Reboot :D

Enjoy your A2SD.

As with any SD-EXT mod, do not use the Android Settings App or any App2SD applications from the market to transfer Apps between Phone/SD-Card, that's not what this mod is for, this mod is for storing ALL downloaded apps on the SD-EXT partition.

Credit for the original flashable package goes to Jstntp.

Credit to DK_Zero-Cool for Mounts2SD, Original Thread is located on XDA-Developers: here

Possibilities of Other ROM Support
This MOD is fully compatible with all ROMs that have the required ARM6 binaries available: busybox, e2fsck, etc. It should therefore work on any of the Optimus ROMs. Optimus V Users, That means you! :)

Last edited:

ShadowEO

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: [MOD] COLD AS ICE CM9 A2SD Mod

Very nice xD btw first post.

Have you tried it out yet? If so, how is your performance after compared to before, mine seems a little slower but that might be because I had started it up before I added A2SD..

Nevermind, it wasn't slowing down, my internet connection did.. >_>

Last edited:

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Cool. Your instructions for applying this are not very clear, please amend. Everything after "Select Advanced -> Partition SD Card" gets a bit confusing. Where do users get the boot.img? The filename to flash does not match that of your linked file. Why do we need flash_image in recovery?

ShadowEO

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

Cool. Your instructions for applying this are not very clear, please amend. Everything after "Select Advanced -> Partition SD Card" gets a bit confusing. Where do users get the boot.img? The filename to flash does not match that of your linked file. Why do we need flash_image in recovery?

My apologies, I'll update the OP asap as for answering your questions

Boot.img is in the downloaded ZIP, I have explicitly stated not to flash the downloaded zip. This is because you extract the ZIP to your SD Card. flash_image is to flash the boot.img, I do not have experience making an update.zip that would apply all the changes for the user unfortunately. All the files the instructions reference are inside the downloaded ZIP file.

If someone could provide an update.zip which would apply all the mods please feel free to share, I'll use it for future releases (unsigned however).

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

flash_image is to flash the boot.img, I do not have experience making an update.zip that would apply all the changes for the user unfortunately. If someone could provide an update.zip which would apply all the fixes please feel free to share, I'll use it for future releases (unsigned however)
Sorry, I'm still a bit confused. Flashing an update.zip file is not the only option in our custom recoveries; you can "apply zip from sdcard." and pick any zip file on the SD card. In other words, flash_image is built into our custom recoveries with this menu option and there should be no need to call for flash_image. Perhaps, I am missing something?

ShadowEO

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

Sorry, I'm still a bit confused. Flashing an update.zip file is not the only option in our custom recoveries; you can "apply zip from sdcard." and pick any zip file on the SD card. In other words, flash_image is built into our custom recoveries with this menu option and there should be no need to call for flash_image. Perhaps, I am missing something?

I wasn't sure if it would flash a boot.img without a update-script. Sorry about that. I'll make a ZIP for it and update the OP.

ShadowEO

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

Give me a little bit and I can throw together all you need to create a flashable zip for that boot.img. Ill send it to your PM inbox.

Thank you very much :) your awesome!

Also, for anyone who's voice search isn't working in Alpha4, Remove it from /system, reboot and re-install from the market, It fixed it for me.

Reactions: Va1ha11a

ShadowEO

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

above solution works. :)

If your talking about the Mod, thank you, it took me forever to get it working on my phone so I figured I'd share my result with everyone. Jstntp created the new flashable package. If your talking about my post about the voice search, I know! I facepalmed myself when it started working. I'm gonna post it in the ROM thread here in a sec.

phozac

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site

hi when i flash the zip in recovery i get a error something about the boot img.. i really dont understand what to do.. cant u do a zip that u can flash in recovery or do i have to do something else?

ShadowEO

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

Bump for Alpha5 Version Mod

I've updated the modification for Alpha 5,
For some reason, even though Alpha 5 has run-parts support, A2SD will cause the phone not to boot if installed normally. This modification makes the same changes to the ramdisk as the older version (with the exception of some init.d scripts) and is merely an update for compatibility.

The new ZIP is also, completely flashable.

glitchsta

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site

Anyone else having trouble getting this to work with kravens CM9 Alpha 5? what do you do after flashing the zip and kernal? Boot to CM9 and type a2sd install? Seems like CM9 does not recognize my ext partition =\ What am I doing wrong?

ShadowEO

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

Don't flash the iScream kernel for Alpha 5. I'll be removing that from the instructions. But what do you mean? This should be automatic after installing. One way to test is to type mount and find your sd-ext partition in the list to see if it's mounted, another is to do the following
Code:
echo It Works>/data/test && cat /sd-ext/test

If that works and prints It Works, then it should work. If your still having trouble please PM me and I'll try to troubleshoot with you a little more. I always flash the same ZIP that I post to test it before hand and it worked fine for me.

Also another way to check is to look in Settings -> Apps -> And then look at the Internal Storage meter at the bottom of the All tab. It should change to a negative number (depending on how many apps you have, mine's said 9.5 used for a little bit then switched to "-1111570944.0..."

As I said, if you have problems, please feel free to PM me. I'm going to work on adding a more recent and feature-rich script to this mod instead of DarkTremor's A2SD (This will probably be out with Kraven's next Alpha.)

EDIT: I hope I didn't kill it with my changes to dtinstall >_> Try a2sd install if your SD-EXT isn't mounted. The next version will be out soon is already out check OP.

Last edited:

notebooko

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: [MOD] Mounts2SD for all Optimus S ROMs (A2SD Replacement)

What's the difference between mount2sd and data2ext? I'm currently running data2ext.

glitchsta

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: [MOD] Mounts2SD for all Optimus S ROMs (A2SD Replacement)

I am guessing data2ext actually installs your files on your ext partition, While the moun2sd just creates more or less links? I dont really know. I am about to try your new update now, but I recently found this file roaming around xda for a cm9 data2ext, and actually all I did was flash the zip and that was it there was my 1gig of app space. Check this out maybe theres something you could use in it =p But it is by far the easiest data2ext flash I have ever done! Thanks for your help and if you need a tester I could test your builds =p I have a lil data2ext expierience myself. If I remember correctly I was the first or one of to figure out how to use it with RebornRom =] Gotta have my ext!

Reactions: notebooko