Market woes (Package File Invalid)

Thraeryn

DEVASTATOR
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had the Market "Package File Invalid" error lately? I had to revert to the old ( < 3.0) Market and freeze the Market Updater to reliably download application updates; app updates would install with Market 3.1.12, but I couldn't find a way to halt it at that version and avoid updating to 3.4.4.

I cleared cache, cleared data, and uninstalled updates to bring the version from 3.4.4 to 3.1.12. Before you ask or suggest it.

Tried a fix (to halt at 3.1.12) that involved removing the update apk Market creates, creating an empty file with that name, then chattr +i so it was immutable, but that apparently doesn't work on our filesystem. (Kept getting the accursed "Not a typewriter" error message - can we go back in time and slap the taste out of that *nix dev's mouth?) Anyone have a suggestion that might work for our filesystem to seriously, really truly lock out changes to a file?

Hell, is anyone else even having this issue? Are there other fixes I should try? Edit: I'm currently on Market 2.3.6, which works for some reason, but I'd like to bump back up to a > 3.0 version.

Last edited:

Thraeryn

DEVASTATOR
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
try deleting your dalvik cache. or simply flash a different rom

I can try the Dalvik cache route. I think I already did to no/little effect, but it's been a rough morning and I can't remember for certain.

I'm generally too happy with the ROM I'm running to flash a different one. Maybe when thekraven gets the camera going on his ICS port. :D Until then, I'm being stubborn with my ROM choice. If that means I'm stuck with Market 2.3.6 for now, then I'm stuck with it.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

DsTyLeR420

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I can try the Dalvik cache route. I think I already did to no/little effect, but it's been a rough morning and I can't remember for certain.

I'm generally too happy with the ROM I'm running to flash a different one. Maybe when thekraven gets the camera going on his ICS port. :D Until then, I'm being stubborn with my ROM choice. If that means I'm stuck with Market 2.3.6 for now, then I'm stuck with it.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

What rom are you on?? and ZVH or ZVD?

Thraeryn

DEVASTATOR
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused. ZVD is the radio package before ZVH, and thekraven's CM7 doesn't work with the ZVH upgrade. Did you UPgrade your radio not knowing that, then DOWNgrade it back to ZVD?

Maybe this is the push I need to switch to CM9.

Last edited:

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused. ZVD is the radio package before ZVH, and thekraven's CM7 doesn't work with it. Did you UPgrade your radio not knowing that, then DOWNgrade it back to ZVD?

Maybe this is the push I need to switch to CM9.
Even though the letter in the version name is progressive and the release date is more recent, not all of us see ZVH as an upgrade, rather a regressive install. I am guessing that is what he means, since the CM9a with more features working is on ZVD.

Reactions: Thraeryn

Thraeryn

DEVASTATOR
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Even though the letter in the version name is progressive and the release date is more recent, not all of us see ZVH as an upgrade, rather a regressive install. I am guessing that is what he means, since the CM9a with more features working is on ZVD.

Fair point.

Thraeryn

DEVASTATOR
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, when I have one or two problem apps, I un- and re-install them. When 11 apps need updating, I want a better solution. ;)

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

DsTyLeR420

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

Exactly my point hahah thank you for clarifying good sir! greatly appreciate it. And I believe cm9 on zvd does have more features and works more properly.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Thraeryn

DEVASTATOR
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Exactly my point hahah thank you for clarifying good sir! greatly appreciate it. And I believe cm9 on zvd does have more features and works more properly.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

My daughter will go nuts if my phone doesn't have its camera. (And I like her little 7-year-old cinematography.)

anon(136244)

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I used to get those all the time and clearing my cache and Dalvik cache seemed to have cured the problem. I can mass update again without getting invalid package file.

dyetan

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

This problem seems to be related to how much space is actually available on the phone's internal memory without SD-EXT. I can sort of deduce this because if I uninstall large programs before trying to update larger packages, the larger packages install without errors. So I've had to remove some of the larger apps from my system, but after I do that the bigger apps that I'm trying to update then update OK. Sometimes after I update the programs I don't want to lose data in, I can then go ahead and re-install the bigger apps that I removed just to update the other packages. Usually I will remove facebook, or any of the apps larger than 7MB. This problem first happened with Google maps which is >11MB. It gradually became an issue with smaller apps as well.

I think the new google play package installer is using a method for storing the package files that does not store them properly on SD-EXT.

The solution, is to use fewer apps, for now.