[How-To] Automated Rooting of LS670ZVD/ZVH/ZVJ

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
drewwalton19216801 for the ZVD rooting writeup, zefie for Xionia CWMA, iBowToAndroid for ZVD installer, Revolutionary for the exploit, Denys Vlasenko for busybox, ChainsDD for su
attachment.php

This guide is for achieving a rooted ZVJ Android for the LG Optimus S using a 95% automated script.

It will install the ZVJ update, persistent root, busybox, and Xionia CWMA Recovery.

This assumes you are ALREADY ROOTED on your existing ROM

If you are already on ZVJ (but not ROOTED) then you need to first revert to ZVD using [this thread] then use Option A - Install Root ZVD/ZVH, which is a fully automated root for ZVD/ZVH.

This download also contains a 100% automated script to root ZVD/ZVH. Instructions (if needed) can be found in [this thread] Ignore the download instructions in that thread as this package supersedes that one. Basically if you are not rooted on your existing ZVD/ZVH ROM choose Option A - Install Root ZVD/ZVH prior to Option B - Install Root ZVJ

See these threads for alternate/past rooting guides: ZVD/ZVH [OptiAuto] ZVC/ZVD [GingerSnap] [GingerBreak] - ZV8/ZV9 [z4root]

For rooting ZVJ you also have a choice of a [Manual Method]

0) Backup anything important
It is good practice to backup before making any changes.

ZVH/ZVJ radios appear to be interchangeable, so if after installing the rooted ZVJ, you are not happy, you should be able to restore a ZVH nandroid backup and have it work. ZVD ROMs will not work with ZVH/ZVJ Radios nor will ZVH/ZVJ ROMs work with ZVD Radios.

1) Pre-requisites Checklist
SD card is INSERTED
USB Debugging is ENABLED - [Menu->Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging]
USB Storage Mode is OFF - [Drag down the notification bar and tap on "USB Connected", should be GREEN]
LG USB/Android drivers are INSTALLED - [See Reference Section D1 (below)]
Phone is connected to USB port and recognized

2) Download the Optimus automated rooting package
optiauto-sfx.exe [mirror1] [mirror2]
optiauto.zip [mirror1] [mirror2]

With the -sfx.exe self-extractor for windows, just run .exe (ie SKIP Step #3)
With the .zip version download and UNZIP to top-level directory of your C: drive

Note #1: zergrush is a known exploit being used to root your phone. Your Anti-Virus software may quarantine or cause the download to be incomplete. Disable your Anti-Virus software if needed so the download can complete. This is only important if you plan on using the tool to root your ZVD/ZVH ROM.

3) Run the Optimus automated rooting package
From PC command prompt, run "runfirst":
(if you have an aversion to typing, you can use file explorer to navigate to C:\optiauto and double-click on RUNFIRST.bat)

c:
cd \optiauto
runfirst

4) Select Option to Install Root - ZVJ
Select Option B - Install Root - ZVJ (after ALL steps complete, you will have installed ZVJ update, persistent root and Xionia CWMA recovery)

You will be presented with the following menu:
attachment.php

5) Proceed through the options sequentially
This is a PARTIALLY AUTOMATED script. You need to COMPLETE ALL STEPS A-C in SEQUENTIAL ORDER to be rooted with ZVJ.

In the menu system (R) indicates your phone is booted into Recovery for that step. (A) indicates your phone is booted into Android for that step.

You must ALREADY BE ROOTED on your existing ROM to run this successfully.

Code:
Step A.  (A) Install ZVJ recovery / Reboot Recovery
Step A - while booted into Android, select Option A in the OptiAuto tool. Assuming you are rooted, this will install the ZVJ Recovery and place the ZVJ update.zip on your phone. It is VERY IMPORTANT that the ZVJ Recovery installs correctly so pay attention to the status logs. If there is an error, it needs to be fixed before continuing. You can repeat this step as many times as necessary as long as you don't continue to the next step.

After Step A is complete the phone will automatically reboot to Recovery. The automatic reboot works most of the time, but sometimes it will boot back to Android. If it boots back to Android, just repeat Step A.

Once in Recovery you need to perform the steps listed in the Menu ON YOUR PHONE within Recovery (within Android for the last step):
Code:
Perform on Phone (should be in Recovery, if not, REPEAT last step)
1. (R) wipe data/factory reset  (OPTIONAL/HIGHLY SUGGESTED)
2. (R) apply sdcard:update.zip  (2-5 min, installs ZVJ)
3. (R) reboot system now        (reboot menu option in Recovery)
4. (A) RE-ENABLE USB Debugging  (Press Menu to skip Activation)
The "wipe data/factory reset" is OPTIONAL, but HIGHLY SUGGESTED

Next, choose "apply sdcard:update.zip". This will install ZVJ. After running this step you will NO LONGER HAVE ROOT. Please do not run this step UNTIL YOU ARE SURE Step A (above) completed successfully.

When the update is complete (around 2-5 min) select "reboot system now" in the Recovery menu. This will write the ZVJ Radio and boot into Android.

Once in Android, you will find that USB Debugging has been disabled. Press the "Back" button on the phone a few times to exit the Mass Storage screen and the Initial Configuration Wizard. If you get stuck in Hands Free Activation or Sprint ID selection, Press "Menu" to Skip. Then go and enable USB Debugging

Menu->Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging

Now you are ready to select Option B

Code:
Step B.  (A) Reboot Recovery (REPEAT STEP if this boots to Android)
Step B - this will copy a new update.zip to your phone and automatically reboot to Recovery. Sometimes the reboot to Recovery doesn't work and you end up in Android. If this happens just REPEAT this step. This step can be repeated as many times as necessary.

Once in Recovery
Code:
Perform on Phone (should be in Recovery, if not, REPEAT last step)
1. (R) apply sdcard:update.zip  (SHOULD say INSTALLATION ABORTED)
       DO NOT REBOOT, proceed to next step

You must apply the update.zip. It SHOULD say INSTALLATION ABORTED. This is an expected error. Do not reboot phone, proceed directly to Step C

Code:
Step C.  (R) Install Root (INSTALL su, busybox, Xionia CWMA Recovery)
Step C - your phone should still be in Recovery. This step will install persistent root and Xionia Recovery, then automatically reboot your phone. After this step completes successfully, you will be rooted on ZVJ with Xionia CWMA custom recovery installed! This step can be repeated as many times as necessary.

Note #1 - If you get stuck waiting for the phone to connect, REBOOT your phone AND PC and try again.

6) You are DONE!
See Reference Section A for things you can try with your newly installed persistent root and Xionia CWMA custom recovery. To unroot, redo Step #3, use Option C

Note #1 - Keep in mind, should you CHOOSE to run "su", you MIGHT be prompted for permissions on the phone's screen the first time it is run. If you don't realize that, you'll get "permission denied" and think the root didn't work. Make sure your phone is NOT on the lock screen or you won't see the prompt. It is NOT required that you run "su". You ARE ROOTED regardless.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Reference Section

A) What's next? (requires ZVJ or ZVH radio)
Ginger Rom
This is a nice clean ROM with bloat removed and just enough enhancements to be useful.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...5-rom-2-3-3-zvj-gingerrom-v1-3-4-14-12-a.html

HydroROM
Classic ZVH HydroROM has been refreshed using ZVJ components
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...151016-rom-zvj-team-hydro-hydrorom-1-0-a.html

DanteRom
Themed enhanced stock-based ROM
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...-danterom-v1-5-beta-update-05-02-20012-a.html

B) ALTERNATE - ZVJ manual rooting instructions
See this thread:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...-rooting-ls670zvh-zvj-links-root-zvd-zv9.html

C) Included scripts

D) Resources
d1) LG LS670 drivers [USB][Android]
d2) Factory reset from within Stock Recovery
d3) Full ZVD update.zip (works from any version)
d4) Minimal download for Recoveries and Installers (unpack to SD card)
d5) Simplified UNROOT and return to STOCK
d6) Revert to V9 using KP500
d7) Un-Brick method for SOME forms of brick
d8) Archive of old ZVH rooting directions [archive 1] [archive 2]
d9) ZVD update.zip [mirror1] [mirror2] [MD5: 2db9b55305cff37a6b6e402fb8518acf] [Size: 88,007,618]
d10) ZVH update.zip [mirror 1] [mirror2] [MD5: ca513fcb26917a01ea126948fa811565] [Size: 96,288,571]
d11) ZVJ update.zip [mirror1] [mirror2] [mirror3] [mirror4] [MD5: 305bf7cce30f66a947be845696d1122b] [Size: 97,894,782]
d12) [How-To] Install stock/custom recovery
d13) Past rooting guides: ZVH [Previously Rooted->Rooted ZVH] ZVC/ZVD [GingerSnap] [GingerBreak] - ZV8/ZV9 [z4root]

E) FAQ
1) How do I get link2sd working after the ZVJ upgrade?

Last edited:

rcdoma

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Thank you sfhub! Worked like a charm :D, just following your instructions! I had to repeat Step B (Reboot Recovery) once since it booted into Android, instead of Recovery. Will install GingerROM on it.

Reactions: sfhub

papadog

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Thank you i have done 2 phones so far going to do another one tomorrow me and the kids all have this phone. this worked great nice and simple

rcdoma

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Glad I could help :) I knew my old HTC Touch was nearby in case things got really messy :D Installed GingerROM and Gingerkernel late last night and looks like everything is working fine so far -thanks again for all the hard work!

kernelsandirs#AC

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Radio not working :-(
my device shows the signal bars with an x over it

I have root
it shows baseband of LS670MVJ_6150
Build number ZVJ.47B56B46

anything I may have missed that would leave the radio not working?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Usually the only reason the radio wouldn't flash is if the stock recovery wasn't used to flash the update.

If you still have root, then I would just redo the steps from the beginning (step A)

If that doesn't work, try a ##786# reset from the dialer. You need your MSL.

Reactions: kernelsandirs#AC

kernelsandirs#AC

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Re-ran through the steps, and that appears to have done the trick

I did notice that(The first time through) after step A I was still on the recovery I have previously so the wipe/update steps looked different. I think it is a possibility that the other recovery image may have caused the trouble.

Anyway thanks, it is working now!

kernelsandirs#AC

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Wait.. crap I no longer have root :-( me sad
however radio works
Guess I will look for a root exploit for this now, C no longer will work I guess
get a /system/bin/sh failed no file or directory when I run step C

kernelsandirs#AC

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Well I already rolled back to stock ZVD, then went through All the steps here.
Looks like its all good again, now on ZVJ with root. AND I had an issue where the phone thought I had headphones plugged in all the time, I know it was not a short in the port, tried wiping flashing other ROMs etc nothing helped. but now its fixed! probably the new radio flash.

Thanks again.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
DO any of you have issues with Netflix sync after zvj install with this method? Mine is terribly out of sync.
If there is a problem with Netflix, it is with the ZVJ update itself rather than going through this method. All this does is add some files that are dormant until the user requests them and a custom recovery. The kernel used with Android is untouched.

beetldude

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else have their phone get stuck at the Sprint logo screen when booting after installing the first update.zip?

I was rooted with zvh. I did this part:
Next, choose "apply sdcard:update.zip". This will install ZVJ. After running this step you will NO LONGER HAVE ROOT. Please do not run this step UNTIL YOU ARE SURE Step A (above) completed successfully.

When the update is complete (around 2-5 min) select "reboot system now" in the Recovery menu. This will write the ZVJ Radio and boot into Android.
And now I've been sitting at the Sprint logo boot screen for about a half hour now.

Any ideas? Not sure if I should pull the battery or what...

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else have their phone get stuck at the Sprint logo screen when booting after installing the first update.zip?

I was rooted with zvh. I did this part:

And now I've been sitting at the Sprint logo boot screen for about a half hour now.

Any ideas? Not sure if I should pull the battery or what...
Pull the battery, boot into recovery, perform wipe data/factory reset.

Assuming that lets you boot into Android, re-enable USB debugging and continue from Step B.

beetldude

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Pull the battery, boot into recovery, perform wipe data/factory reset.

Assuming that lets you boot into Android, re-enable USB debugging and continue from Step B.

Thanks, but I wiped and it's still doing it.. where to from here?

edit: reinstalled the update.zip again, looks to be working so far

edit2: had to reboot a couple times for step b, but other than that the rest went smooth. Big thanks for the help and the super fast reply!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power