[How-To] Automated Rooting of LS670ZVD/ZVH/ZVJ

ctgova

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I keep failing to get stock recovery to flash. Xionia is the only recovery that shows up for me in the process. Do I need to get my sd card 000root folder cleaned up? There seem to be lots of files there. I would like to be able to start from a clean slate. Trying to upgrade to ZVJ from Kraven's CM7 port on ZVD radio. Thank you!

Waiting4MyAndroid

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
My phone is running stock ZVD rom and not rooted. I still have not received the OTA ZVJ update! Can someone tell me how to manually update my phone without rooting? already have the update.zip.

ctgova

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
If you want stock ZVJ without root, you should be able to boot into ZVD stock recovery and apply Zip from sd card. As long as the update.zip is in the top level of the sd card. Please wait for someone else to give the thumbs up before going on my limited knowledge though.

Reactions: Waiting4MyAndroid

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
If you want stock ZVJ without root, you should be able to boot into ZVD stock recovery and apply Zip from sd card. As long as the update.zip is in the top level of the sd card. Please wait for someone else to give the thumbs up before going on my limited knowledge though.

This is correct.

Reactions: ctgova

Waiting4MyAndroid

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the prompt response. I just wanted to make sure that VD recovery will work. One more question.
Is the step "wipe data/factory reset" needed in this case?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the prompt response. I just wanted to make sure that VD recovery will work. One more question.
Is the step "wipe data/factory reset" needed in this case?
ZVH to ZVJ has less chance for issues. ZVD to ZVJ has more chance for issues. If you have a lot of apps installed then the chances are higher some app has issues.. If you have mostly stock stuff, it'll probably go through fine.

So try it out without the reset, but be prepared to do the reset later on (ie have your backups ready)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I keep failing to get stock recovery to flash. Xionia is the only recovery that shows up for me in the process. Do I need to get my sd card 000root folder cleaned up? There seem to be lots of files there. I would like to be able to start from a clean slate. Trying to upgrade to ZVJ from Kraven's CM7 port on ZVD radio. Thank you!
You don't need to clean out the directory. Whatever is needed is copied into place whenever it is run.

If Option B, Step A (Install ZVJ Recovery) is failing, then please enable the scroll buffer using Option H on the Main Menu, then post the log of Step A.

ctgova

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
You don't need to clean out the directory. Whatever is needed is copied into place whenever it is run.

If Option B, Step A (Install ZVJ Recovery) is failing, then please enable the scroll buffer using Option H on the Main Menu, then post the log of Step A.

/data/local/tmp/sh: permission denied

Do I need to run as administrator?

Edit1: Ran as administrator, still permission denied

Edit2: Why can't I copy paste from the log?

Last edited:

garwynn

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

Are you rooted under your current version before starting? (Sounds like possibly not.)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

That usually means you didn't have root (su) installed on your existing ROM but there can be other explanations.

What happens when you open an adb shell and type "su"? Do you get a # sign?

Also are you booted into Android or Recovery when you are running that step? You should be in Android.

ctgova

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Using Terminal Emulator I get a super user request and then a # sign after typing "su"
I was booted into android with the screen unlocked and saw the permission being given for super user request running the first step option B step A.

ctgova

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
The first reboot to recovery is Xionia, that is after I see the
Is there anything else I should have done prior to starting?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The first reboot to recovery is Xionia, that is after I see the
Is there anything else I should have done prior to starting?
I'm curious, do you have a /data/local/tmp directory on your installation?

I think the issue you are seeing might be related to your current install being CM7 and some directories might not be the same as stock, but that is just a working theory.

I think the quickest way to get everything working would be just to revert to ZVD using the update.zip, Root ZVD using Option A, then go through Option B, but I'm interested in figuring out what is going wrong with your current setup.

Basically when you choose Option B, Step A (install ZVJ recovery) at some point it pauses and tells you it is asking for root permissions. It caches your response by creating an suid root sh in /data/local/tmp

This is somehow failing and I'd need to figure out why. My first attempt is just to check if that directory exists on your setup, since you aren't on a stock derived system.

ctgova

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
What is the most helpful way for me to find the answers you need. I don't know how to figure out what I have as far as directories in my installation.

Edit: After having eaten something, I checked my directories using File Manager, data is an empty folder.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
What is the most helpful way for me to find the answers you need. I don't know how to figure out what I have as far as directories in my installation.

Edit: After having eaten something, I checked my directories using File Manager, data is an empty folder.
Yes, that is the issue then. The scripts are assuming your Android data partition is mounted as /data and /data/local/tmp is available to be written to. On your setup it isn't.

I could make changes where it doesn't depend on that, but the quickest way for you to root and have the ZVJ rom and radio would be to revert to stock ZVD, root that using Option A, then use Option B to root and install ZVJ. Make a nandroid backup before you do anything, in case you haven't already.

What do you want to be using after you are on ZVJ?

ctgova

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so reference section option a is the way to go? I think I will want to go with gingerrom with gingerkernel to see if that works for me for now.

anon(332172)

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to say thank you for the rooting script. I was rooted on ZVD and updated last night, it took a total of 20 minutes (taking my time...) with no problems at all. Thank you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781