MIUI - Input appreciated...

res6jya6

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
What is the appeal of MIUI? I went on Wikipedia and all it seems to be is a bloated GUI slapped on top of Android. No app drawer, and icons that look like they belong on a pre-K Leapfrog tablet.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm not an miui expert, but I'm pretty sure its supposed to replicate the look and feel of an iPhone that's why there is no app drawer. But I totally agree with you I don't want to shy away from androids awesomeness for an iPhone clone.

Edit - ask me or invincible madness they'll give you the rundown on miui.

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Miui is cool but if anyone wants to do something new it should support landscape home screen. support flash.the cm7 port of it I like a lot but with these 2 things missing it misses the target completely and I have to recommend something eles(although I'm sure its just because development phase)

res6jya6

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I guess the main reason I ask is, IMHO, it doesn't seem to "add" anything to the Android experience... only takes away from it. Are there kernel changes, etc. that make this "cooler" or is it merely looks? From what I understand, it's nothing more than a fancy GUI, or over-complex "theme".

I don't want anything that looks or acts like an iPhone. When I see people walking around flashing their iPhone 4S I just want to kick them. "You're not cool, buddy!"

me2151

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I guess the main reason I ask is, IMHO, it doesn't seem to "add" anything to the Android experience... only takes away from it. Are there kernel changes, etc. that make this "cooler" or is it merely looks? From what I understand, it's nothing more than a fancy GUI, or over-complex "theme".

I don't want anything that looks or acts like an iPhone. When I see people walking around flashing their iPhone 4S I just want to kick them. "You're not cool, buddy!"

It is a fancy UI but its main point is the ability to theme easily.

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Guys, it's all about the User Interface. The UI. Miui. (My UI). Yes it's beginning purpose was to replicate somewhat that of iOS's, but now it's been turned into a giant theme machine. You can theme ANYTHING! You can change the lockscreen. The status bar, the bootanimation, the icons, the dock, the wallpaper, the lockscreen wallpaper, the frameworks, simply, everything.
Just some walls of MIUI's awesome capabilities:
be_glad_by_xniikk-d4we17s.png
darkened__by_chadht-d4wcrqy.png

res6jya6

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I understand the fact that it's largely UI... but other than that there's nothing better about the actual performance? I'm quite happy with the standard Android GUI... and CM7.2 seems to do the trick.

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Its based off of CM7. Its never been meant to have better performance. Its for people who have fun theming their phones, like myself.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

darkavenger

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that about sums it up, UI.

There are some nice features on it and some things I wish CM7 had, but there is a lack of streamline functionality to it compared to CM7 and although it looks fancy at a glance, not worth it... for me. FYI Props to the guys porting it, they have a great rom so far.

twtippets

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I am with the other guys, MIUI is mostly for the aesthetics, and that job is done extremely well. I like being able to make my phone look awesome. And that's pretty much it. And that's why android is cool, it's your phone you can do whatever you want with it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and that's the point, make it how you want and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

Reactions: droidmyme

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Aesthetics and application integration are highly underrated. As a primarily Linux user, I appreciate the how both Apple OS's and Android handle this so well.

I first encountered MIUI on a MyTouch device and was highly impressed; couldn't believe it was CM7 under the hood. It is such a departure from the interfaces we are familiar with on Android. I personally feel that a UI environment shouldn't need its own ROM, it should be another add-on like the GO! suite, but it is pretty slick.

darkavenger

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Aesthetics and application integration are highly underrated. As a primarily Linux user, I appreciate the how both Apple OS's and Android handle this so well.

I first encountered MIUI on a MyTouch device and was highly impressed; couldn't believe it was CM7 under the hood. It is such a departure from the interfaces we are familiar with on Android. I personally feel that a UI environment shouldn't need its own ROM, it should be another add-on like the GO! suite, but it is pretty slick.

I love the Go suite! GoLauncher's swipe up dock is one of the most useful features and it just makes sense. I tend to group two relevant apps together, my SMS icon open gmail on the up swipe, etc. Some features make it a little bloated lately, but they keep most features relevant for a significant number of people...

I see how MIUI can be customized and probably to the point of extreme efficiency, but I don't like the lack of centralization. In CM7 I'm usually one swipe, maybe two, away from whatever I want. Maybe MIUI just isn't as intuitive to me?

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Guys, it's all about the User Interface. The UI. Miui. (My UI). Yes it's beginning purpose was to replicate somewhat that of iOS's, but now it's been turned into a giant theme machine. You can theme ANYTHING! You can change the lockscreen. The status bar, the bootanimation, the icons, the dock, the wallpaper, the lockscreen wallpaper, the frameworks, simply, everything.
Just some walls of MIUI's awesome capabilities:
Click to view quoted image
Click to view quoted image

That is awesome, thanks for sharing!

I love the Go suite! GoLauncher's swipe up dock is one of the most useful features and it just makes sense. I tend to group two relevant apps together, my SMS icon open gmail on the up swipe, etc. Some features make it a little bloated lately, but they keep most features relevant for a significant number of people...

I see how MIUI can be customized and probably to the point of extreme efficiency, but I don't like the lack of centralization. In CM7 I'm usually one swipe, maybe two, away from whatever I want. Maybe MIUI just isn't as intuitive to me?

I love GO suite too. The swipe up to open home menu, and swipe down to open apo drawer, are just awesome

tapatalkn on yo b****a**

Invincible Madness

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

You can theme each aspects of the ROM seperately which you can't achieve so easily on CM. In the sense, you can pick each aspect like sms, status bar, icons, frameworks, dialer, notifications, etc; each from a separate theme.
It's not meant for performance, its an eye candy and some people like it. Moreover, its great that our phone is able to handle it. Also, if you take the phones MIUI is built for, performance is good too.

To each his own.

PS: Having an iPhone doesn't make people uncool. I don't own one btw.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I love GO suite too. The swipe up to open home menu, and swipe down to open apo drawer, are just awesome
Zeam Launcher also has these features and is a small fraction of the bloat. ;)

Everyone likes some eyecandy, right? The trick is to find what works for you but doesn't devour the device's limited resources.
How much internal is available after a fresh install of this ROM and Gapps?

Last edited:

Invincible Madness

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Zeam Launcher also has these features and is a small fraction of the bloat. ;)

Everyone likes some eyecandy, right? The trick is to find what works for you but doesn't devour the device's limited resources.
How much internal is available after a fresh install of this ROM and Gapps?

160MB with ROM and Bobzhome's Gapps. Remove unwanted apps with root explorer and extra media files and you have 8-10mb more right there.

Reactions: epidenimus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37