Any potential downsides for making an app a system app?

therenegadenail

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much what I'm wondering is would anything go stupid if I say made go launcher a system app, because i am running hydro rom and even tho its a tiny size, i was going to remove the lg home launcher

So if I made go launcher a system app, would anything go wrong? What about when it gets an update? And should I do it via titanium back up? Or via a file explorer?

Thanks for any information guys!

kylemaguire

Resident Teen
Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Not that I know of (somebody can correct me).

I would do Titatium Backup only because it hasn't had issues for me at least. I'm guessing making any app is a system app is a PRO feature. (I wouldn't know. I immediately bought PRO)

Making an app a system app makes it a part of the ROM (right?) when updates come in, you could run "integrate system app updates into ROM" (assuming you have enough room on your ROM)

I did this when I was with Stock 2.2.2 (ZVD) and had no issues whatsoever. Your milage may very depending on the rom.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
It's fine. No real benefit but it's fine. In fact, it will have a negative impact when the app is updated because the new apk will be in /data leaving the old in /system. That means theres a piece of dalvik cache created for both apk's, regardless of you only using the updated one now. Easily corrected by deleting the old from /system, adding the new, and either deleting all dalvik cache on a reboot or delete the single old cache.

I'm OCD about my phones cleanliness so every time a gapp is updated i rename the apk in /data to match what the carrier has in /system, i move the new apk to /system which deletes the old. I then delete everything in /data/dalvik-cache and give my phone a reboot :D

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The few times I integrated an app into the system, I a) used Tits-BU and 2) had to reboot to make dalvik catch up. Some apps don't want to be in system and looks for it's instructions from data. IOW, it may or may not work, depending on the app. Trial and error!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463