"Low on space" - does rooting help?

anon(205625)

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Had my Optimus S for a little over a year now and have been mostly happy with it. The big exception is that I am always getting the "Low on Space" warnings that prevent incoming text messages, and sometimes even prevent the Browser from working. Usually, but not always, clearing the browser cache & data is enough to clear the warning, but this is annoying. I don't have a ton of apps installed. Sometimes out of frustration, I remove an app I can live without, and that clears the warning, but then it inevitably comes back again. If I keep it up I'll be down to like 2 apps!

I get a general sense from these forums that rooting / custom ROM will help, but I have no experience with rooting. So I want to confirm it would help before I take the risk.

Other noob question about rooting/custom ROMs: all of my standard apps should work fine correct? Telenav GPS, Google Maps, etc?

I haven't upgraded my phone to Gingerbread (because doing so breaks the wi-fi hotspot hack I found on here or another forum) but can do it if it's better for the rooting. My understanding is once rooted, there are other options for the wi-fi hotspot.

Thanks!

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Rooting will not magically solve the issues you are experiencing. Rooting is like finding the key to a room you didn't know you had. The key will unlock the door, but YOU have to open the door and see the wonders (or horrors :p) that await you.

What you are experiencing is LG's sorry excuse for data space. Most custom ROMs have tweaks enabled that can help regain some of that space but ultimately the Optimus S is a very low-space device.

Invincible Madness

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Had my Optimus S for a little over a year now and have been mostly happy with it. The big exception is that I am always getting the "Low on Space" warnings that prevent incoming text messages, and sometimes even prevent the Browser from working. Usually, but not always, clearing the browser cache & data is enough to clear the warning, but this is annoying. I don't have a ton of apps installed. Sometimes out of frustration, I remove an app I can live without, and that clears the warning, but then it inevitably comes back again. If I keep it up I'll be down to like 2 apps!

I get a general sense from these forums that rooting / custom ROM will help, but I have no experience with rooting. So I want to confirm it would help before I take the risk.

Other noob question about rooting/custom ROMs: all of my standard apps should work fine correct? Telenav GPS, Google Maps, etc?

I haven't upgraded my phone to Gingerbread (because doing so breaks the wi-fi hotspot hack I found on here or another forum) but can do it if it's better for the rooting. My understanding is once rooted, there are other options for the wi-fi hotspot.

Thanks!

It actually isn't that hard or scary if you can patiently read the threads and follow the instructions carefully. I sometimes forget a step and end up panicking but people like drew, sfhub (this guys is a savior) will be there to point out the mistakes and correct you along the way. There are many others who will be glad to offer you help.

Like Drew mentioned, rooting is the best thing that can happen to our phone.
Upgrading to GB won't break your hotspot. If you are looking for a rock stable ROM with small size, try thekraven's CM7-barebones version (my personal favorite), it has hotspot functionality too.

Again, read the welcome guide and see what baseband you have under menu>settings>about phone. Depending on which one you are on you can take the next step of rooting following the appropriate guide and then flash a ROM. Any questions, feel free to ask and someone will answer for sure.

Happy rooting and flashing mate.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!

Honestly, i would recommend a cache cleaner. Try 1Tap cleaner free from the market.

As for text messages, have you thought of using google voice? Every thing is cloud based, so you will never lose messages. Only issue is it doesn't do mms/picture mail, but the stock messenger can still handle those. Also handles voicemails and incorporates text translated readouts of all voicemails. It does take a bit of finesse to fully optimize, like turning off call screening for example.

And yes rooting your phone will not touch core apps, though I believe telenav is no longer included in the most recent update, but google navigation is which I find substantially more accurate. I believe it is something like 20mb of more internal storage you can gain with a custom rom.

But to start off with, try the cache cleaner and see if that helps, it usually does!

wormy987123

flashaholic
Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I agree reading is your best friend right now, just take your time and follow all the steps that are given for the root method you use and custom rom should you choose to go that route.

I can say I love this phone now after flashing to CM7 and can't wait for CM9 to be released.

Sent from my OS running CM7 while waiting on CM9!

Ivy547

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I decided to root back in January, one of the main reasons because I was just tired of being so limited in the amount of apps I could have. I am currently running HydroROM for Gingerbread 2.3 with a modification that gives me about 113MB free with 15 apps installed on the phone (not counting apps in the SD card). I love it. Just read through the posts, they are long and sometimes difficult to keep up with, specially as you're learning, but it is definitely worth it. :)

anon(205625)

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, everyone. I understand there are inherent limitations with this phone, but my memory issue seems to have gotten much worse lately, to the point where I have to manually clear the Browser cache constantly to avoid getting the warnings.

Anyway, I went ahead and upgraded to Gingerbread with the OTA update provided by Sprint. It did in fact break my Hotspot Widget (note -I don't have the hotspot service from Sprint, but with Froyo this app worked anyway. Oh well).

I think I'll go ahead and give rooting a try. Now to choose a ROM - Telenav is a must, so I need to find something that doesn't break that app. Suggestions?

Thanks again!

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, everyone. I understand there are inherent limitations with this phone, but my memory issue seems to have gotten much worse lately, to the point where I have to manually clear the Browser cache constantly to avoid getting the warnings.

Anyway, I went ahead and upgraded to Gingerbread with the OTA update provided by Sprint. It did in fact break my Hotspot Widget (note -I don't have the hotspot service from Sprint, but with Froyo this app worked anyway. Oh well).

I think I'll go ahead and give rooting a try. Now to choose a ROM - Telenav is a must, so I need to find something that doesn't break that app. Suggestions?

Thanks again!
Since you did the OTA update to Ginerbread 2.3. To root you will now have to downgrade to ZVH or ZVD, Please remember to read first before make any decisions. And then re-read! I attached the links for you to read to get your phone rooted!
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...sprint-zvd-froyo-downgrade-now-available.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ls670zvd-zvh-100-automated-zvj-automated.html

Reactions: anon(205625)

anon(205625)

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Doh! I thought updating to Gingerbread would make things easier - isn't that what Gingersnap is for?

Edit: ah, think I got it - Gingerbread is not the same as the firmware.

Will get to reading.... Thanks again!

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, look at the automated root tool in the stickies to get root. Assuming you are on the ZVJ baseband (check about phone in the settings to verify). That will cover root and recovery. As for roms, for ZVJ there are only two out there right now. Ginger Rom and Dante Rom. Take a look at those and make a choice which on fits. As for telenav, just download from the market. For wireless tether, Dante rom has FoxFi built in, but can be downloaded for Ginger rom too.

anon(205625)

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Well after using stock GB all day, I'm about ready to downgrade back to Froyo with or without rooting. One minor but annoying thing is that now when I roam, the roaming triangle icon blinks constantly, and the lock screen displays "Roaming Indicator Flashing" (uh, no kidding, really??). This is annoying since I roam all day at work due to lack of good Sprint service. I don't know if any of the ROMs stop this behavior, I'll look into it.

Things seem a little slower overall for me on GB than they were in Froyo, as well. Animations not as smooth as they were and that kind of thing. I suspect a good ROM would help this.

So I think my options are:
1) Look for a GB-based root/ROM and hope it fixes some of my complaints with stock GB
2) Downgrade to Froyo and install a ROM based on that

Is that right?

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Thanks!

From what I know, rooting gives you access to the /system partition so you can remove the unnecessary apps but not recommended at all. You'll probably remove something crucial :mad:

xplode196

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
For your hotspot needs try FoxFi...it's a pretty solid app. Note that Sprint took it off the market so you'll just have to google for it...and as you already probably know, don't abuse the hotspot.

xplode196

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Also for the roaming thing, you can turn that dialog off in the Network settings in GB can't you? Or is going on airplane mode at work not a good option?

A really good stable rom is gROM, I prefer that a lot since it gave me a good run. Running a good kernel also helps with speed too.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Well after using stock GB all day, I'm about ready to downgrade back to Froyo with or without rooting. One minor but annoying thing is that now when I roam, the roaming triangle icon blinks constantly, and the lock screen displays "Roaming Indicator Flashing" (uh, no kidding, really??). This is annoying since I roam all day at work due to lack of good Sprint service. I don't know if any of the ROMs stop this behavior, I'll look into it.

Things seem a little slower overall for me on GB than they were in Froyo, as well. Animations not as smooth as they were and that kind of thing. I suspect a good ROM would help this.

So I think my options are:
1) Look for a GB-based root/ROM and hope it fixes some of my complaints with stock GB
2) Downgrade to Froyo and install a ROM based on that

Is that right?
Ok first off, since you are on OTA ZVJ you dont have any options, except to keep it the way it is un-rooted or Downgrade to ZVD and then root using the links i provided before! Once your back on ZVD the rooting process is automated so it is sample. The process (you would use Option A) will install your custom recovery for you and then your ready to flash what rom you like. If you want a rooted ZVJ then once on ZVD go back to automated installer and now do option B. That will update your rooted ZVD to rooted ZVJ with custom recovery.
Now ZVD has some great stable Roms like Reborn Rom, or thekraven's CM7.
ZVH or ZVJ you can use Hydro Rom, and some others, you will need to research those but would also need to flash a kernal to fix some of the problems with those basebands.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...sprint-zvd-froyo-downgrade-now-available.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ls670zvd-zvh-100-automated-zvj-automated.html

Last edited:

grayem

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
Rooting allows you to use link2sd. That allows you to save all kinds of space. You have to partiton your sd card though. This gives you about a gig max!

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
However, as these can be slightly unstable mods, you may want to start with something fairly reliable for your first ROM (Maybe Reborn)