[Q][ADB][Ubuntu 12.04][Error] ADB ERROR in Ubuntu 12.04

PatrickAkridge

"The Button Pusher"
Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Okay.....

So I setup the Android SDK, Java (OpenJDK) JDE 6, Java Runtime 6 and 7.

I'll even give screenshots.. I know this is probably completely irrelevant to my problem, but the screenshots are depictions on what is currently installed on my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS system..

This won't matter either.. but Specs: Intel Core i3 with 4GB RAM... Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit... It should work just fine on 64bit, right? I mean.. the API Installer installed APIs except for the fact that it tried to kill ADB when ADB wasn't running...

OpenJDK JDE 6 is Installed...

3r6dU9u9hWRc8HxxsmFrTZ

Platform-Tools (including ADB) Installed..

6LSsLYh5sITJRv49aA9wgg

Google Android 2.3.3 API and Examples Installed..

4TZUnwa7she35r2zOeuWKJ

And Finally... Google Android 2.1 API and Examples Installed..

6m1L6VHaiypzthCqATYCPz

So.. my SDK folder (for quick access) is in Ubuntu as the path...
Code:
/home/patrickakridge/SDK..
You can access ADB and Fast-boot using
Code:
/home/patrickakridge/SDK/platform-tools ./adb or ./fastboot
respectively. That is how you would access one of the two..

At an attempt to access currently installed and (should be) working ADB...

Alright.. here are my commands in order...

Code:
"sudo su"
"friedchicken" (because sudo asked for my password.. no prob, Bob..)
"cd /home/patrickakridge/SDK/platform-tools"
./adb devices
and I get this lovely error..
Code:
./adb: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5:  cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I have also encrypted my home folder when I installed Ubuntu.. but now that I think about it.. it shouldn't be a problem at all (and if it is.. I try to bypass using Sudo SU.. which puts you in a Root Shell)

Here is a Screenshot of the Problem Error in Question:

NOTE: It always says when I access SUDO SU... for anything.. even if I don't even change directory to the SDK folder..

Code:
bash: home/patrickakridge/SDK: No such file or directory
but a quick look at this proves that error wrong..

4bsSfWTv11PYe6PZH2yb0G

Anyways.. here is the other error... and a screenshot of my commands in order and the annoying error..

1gzxx3NGWg28ZSvLwuiwtN

Why is it doing this? Do I need to try reinstalling Platform-Tools (ADB and Fastboot)? I know the file is just simply not there, but why isn't it there? Last time I installed the SDK on Wubi, it worked fine...

It might be that I installed updates and the computer needs to be restarted (because ADB can't access the file in question)... I will try that in a minute after I get done posting this thread...

Anyone else experiencing this?

I need HELP!

Last edited:

PatrickAkridge

"The Button Pusher"
Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Okay.. yeah.. I rebooted my laptop after installing two rounds of updates, re-logged in, fired up Terminal, aquired root from sudo su, cd'd to the SDK directory and....

Noooope! Still dead... I need help.. Why does Ubuntu hate me? :'(

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Okay.....

So I setup the Android SDK, Java (OpenJDK) JDE 6, Java Runtime 6 and 7.

I'll even give screenshots.. I know this is probably completely irrelevant to my problem, but the screenshots are depictions on what is currently installed on my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS system..

This won't matter either.. but Specs: Intel Core i3 with 4GB RAM... Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit... It should work just fine on 64bit, right? I mean.. the API Installer installed APIs except for the fact that it tried to kill ADB when ADB wasn't running...

OpenJDK JDE 6 is Installed...

Click to view quoted image

Platform-Tools (including ADB) Installed..

Google Android 2.3.3 API and Examples Installed..

And Finally... Google Android 2.1 API and Examples Installed..

So.. my SDK folder (for quick access) is in Ubuntu as the path...
Code:
/home/patrickakridge/SDK..
You can access ADB and Fast-boot using
Code:
/home/patrickakridge/SDK/platform-tools ./adb or ./fastboot
respectively. That is how you would access one of the two..

At an attempt to access currently installed and (should be) working ADB...

Alright.. here are my commands in order...

Code:
"sudo su"
"friedchicken" (because sudo asked for my password.. no prob, Bob..)
"cd /home/patrickakridge/SDK/platform-tools"
./adb devices
and I get this lovely error..
Code:
./adb: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5:  cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I have also encrypted my home folder when I installed Ubuntu.. but now that I think about it.. it shouldn't be a problem at all (and if it is.. I try to bypass using Sudo SU.. which puts you in a Root Shell)

Here is a Screenshot of the Problem Error in Question:

NOTE: It always says when I access SUDO SU... for anything.. even if I don't even change directory to the SDK folder..

Code:
bash: home/patrickakridge/SDK: No such file or directory
but a quick look at this proves that error wrong..

Anyways.. here is the other error... and a screenshot of my commands in order and the annoying error..

Why is it doing this? Do I need to try reinstalling Platform-Tools (ADB and Fastboot)? I know the file is just simply not there, but why isn't it there? Last time I installed the SDK on Wubi, it worked fine...

It might be that I installed updates and the computer needs to be restarted (because ADB can't access the file in question)... I will try that in a minute after I get done posting this thread...

Anyone else experiencing this?

I need HELP!

Okay.. yeah.. I rebooted my laptop after installing two rounds of updates, re-logged in, fired up Terminal, aquired root from sudo su, cd'd to the SDK directory and....

Noooope! Still dead... I need help.. Why does Ubuntu hate me? :'(

Save all your files that you want to keep to an external device. Download Linux Mint and do the same procedure. I've never had issues with mint, where have had issues with ubuntu under the same circumstances. Let us know how it goes! :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Since it seems to be failing calling a library, my first question would be: Do you have sys-libs/ncurses or libncurses (not sure on Ubuntu naming structure these days) installed?

Also, you shouldn't need to be root on your Ubuntu box to get ADB to work...

Last edited:
Reactions: PatrickAkridge

the_maplebar

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Since it seems to be failing calling a library, my first question would be: Do you have sys-libs/ncurses or libncurses (not sure on Ubuntu naming structure these days) installed?

I second that suggestion to check for libncurses. I'm still on Ubuntu 10.04 so the names may be slightly different if there is a new version but I have libncurses5 and lib32ncurses5 installed.

You do need to be root (or sudo) the first time you run adb (each boot) in order to get the daemon running. After the adb daemon is running you use all of the adb commands without being root.

PatrickAkridge

"The Button Pusher"
Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
[SOLVED][Q][ADB][Ubuntu 12.04][Error] ADB ERROR in Ubuntu 12.04

See.. I had no idea what you were talking about.. I kept thinking... did I have what installed??

I don't know what I had installed, but I fired up Package Manager and I installed libncurses5 and lib32ncurses5... I have no idea what these are, but I installed them and ADB is now working...

With the help of the below quote, I installed what he has Installed (even though I still have no idea of what the two packages are) and ADB now works... at least the daemon starts successfully..

Thanks for giving me the power of ADB on Linux!

I second that suggestion to check for libncurses. I'm still on Ubuntu 10.04 so the names may be slightly different if there is a new version but I have libncurses5 and lib32ncurses5 installed.

You do need to be root (or sudo) the first time you run adb (each boot) in order to get the daemon running. After the adb daemon is running you use all of the adb commands without being root.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site

Sys-libs/ncurses eh? You sound like a Gentoo guy, yes?

PatrickAkridge

"The Button Pusher"
Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
For the curious of the curiousest..

The initial bash error of the home/patrickakridge/SDK is not a file or directory was an error in the EXPORT_PATH line (the LAST) line or whatever (couldn't remember the starting point of the line), but anyways.. the file path did NOT have a slash "/" before "home".. "home/patrickakridge/SDK" as the path was giving it the error (I do not have a disc or hard drive named "HOME" .. I do not know how it got this way, but I fixed the path to "/home/patrickakridge/SDK" and the error went away...

The error was in the Export_Path (again, I couldn't remember the first part of the line) (was the last line) line in the .bashrc file located at
Code:
~/.bashrc

To access the .bashrc file in my case, you use this command...

Code:
nano ~/.bashrc

OR

Code:
gedit ~/.bashrc

Thanks guys..

:p

Reactions: epidenimus

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
For the Ubuntu folks out there...

Aptitude (Undercarriage of Synaptic and Ubuntu Software Center) is a great package manager that does a fantastic job of dependency management. However, because of the way the Android SDK is installed (can be done through the aforementioned apps or called directly from a folder in any /home subdirectory), it may miss some bits that you need, such as ncurses libraries.

Here is a very basic (3 words, lol) description of ncurses:
console display library

The license is MIT Standard and more info can be found here.

Reactions: PatrickAkridge

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173