Did I miss something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that a new sub-sub-forum was made to move the dead roms and mods into, but there's only one thread in it.

I also noticed that a sub-thread to the said one thread was moved into the main-forum. That I understood. But the closure of the sub-thread has me wondering if I missed something. I didn't see the blatant whining or "alpha-male" attacks that I've seen in other open threads.

Pkt_Lnt

yes, that old
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Funny things here of late. :confused: We have a dev choosing to continue private testing for the time being and threads are getting locked when old dead ROM threads are still open in this forum.

Those still getting PM gifts need to find a way to discuss. We could start a thread, but I do not want to antagonize anyone on AC. We could go offline to email (PM each other email addresses and set up a simple list) or PM (limit of 5 in that), I think there are 10-15 of us.

Who is getting parting gifts, alpha 14 linaro yesterday, the testboot today, speak up.

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I fully support thekraven and his decisions. He is a great dev and deserves complete credit for his talent so in no way do mean any disrespect towards him for what I am about to say.

I think maybe what the mods and powers that be are saying here is since his ROM is now a private ROM only, maybe the discussions about it should stay private as well. Just a thought.

Pkt_Lnt

yes, that old
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I fully support thekraven and his decisions. He is a great dev and deserves complete credit for his talent so in no way do mean any disrespect towards him for what I am about to say.

I think maybe what the mods and powers that be are saying here is since his ROM is now a private ROM only, maybe the discussions about it should stay private as well. Just a thought.

Thanks, and true. All the releases but the last two, plus all hotfixes are still in the thread and available. I know private tests between releases are common. The first thread by thekraven he asked them to close. The second thread closing is what seems odd, seeing all the other threads still open for ROMS that are not actively developed.

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Ya, I think we're just now starting to figure out how to do that. The last thing we need is for the powers to be to come down and start banning because I started yet another thread...

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, and true. All the releases but the last two, plus all hotfixes are still in the thread and available. I know private tests between releases are common. The first thread by thekraven he asked them to close. The second thread closing is what seems odd, seeing all the other threads still open for ROMS that are not actively developed.

In the moderators defense, over in our OV forums, we have tons if old roms locked up. HOWEVER, this is because our OV members have been faithfully reporting the old threads to the mods. If you want old rom threads closed, report them. The mods can't know which roms aren't being developed unless we tell them because I don't think any of them own an OS or OV.

aaronrw

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Ya, I think we're just now starting to figure out how to do that. The last thing we need is for the powers to be to come down and start banning because I started yet another thread...

Amen to that.... no banning please.lol

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

rinard

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

It's still odd that someone created a new 'archived' subforum solely for CAI, rather than just closing/locking the thread, though.

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
So, thekraven, if you're still scanning the forums, we might want to look into starting an email thing, or maybe google+ circles.

Of course, you may not put out another alpha, in which this is a moot point....

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
It's still odd that someone created a new 'archived' subforum solely for CAI, rather than just closing/locking the thread, though.

Not odd at all. This a newer format Cory (site administrator) has been implementing. Take a look over in the Optimus V forums.

I'm sure more Dead Roms will be added to that subforum here. When I get some more time, ill get Cory a list.

Reactions: Cory Streater

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Thekraven might find something like team hydros atrium of use if he does indeed want a more private way of testing and still having a dedicated avenue for discussion. Just a thought.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Pkt_Lnt

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm becoming much to obsessive with this (the greatest) forum. I think I'm going to go to bed and maybe reopen my EVE Online account tomorrow.

Good night all

acromack

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Frankly, I'm surprised there wasn't an archived section set up sooner. Seems like there's quite a few old stuff that isn't being actively developed anymore. I think threads being reported to file under this group will clear out a good amount of the issues of late. G+ group seems like a grand idea for private testing.

Reactions: Cory Streater

foltz61

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think it was premature to close the general Cold As Ice thread. People are using the alpha builds as daily drivers and are still going to want to discuss things. Now there will be multiple topics instead of just one. Might as well wipe out the whole Optimus S forum. If Cold As Ice is outdated everything else is surely outdated. Not trying to be a trouble maker. Just a voice of reason.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

acromack

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
One part of me agrees with you, allowing people to continue the discussion after development ends. I think I'm siding with the status quo - that is, closing the threads when it is determined that development is no longer active. The threads are still accessible, so users can still install it if they want to. Otherwise you'll end up with old threads filled with useless comments pleading for help. Once people begin to recognize archived/closed threads as just that, it has the potential to focus productive comments into the most active projects.

Pkt_Lnt

yes, that old
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes I see all points. The fact remains that thekraven has not stopped developing CAI, with 3 updates to testers in as many days. It was the rogue elements that frustrated him. If AC could get a handle on them, my guess is he would continue, but that is just MY opinion, my guess, my hope.

edit looking at the forum rules http://forums.androidcentral.com/faq.php?faq=generalacrules#faq_acrules

There were many violations run rampant in the CAI thread. I guess we all needed to be more willing to hit the report triangle when things got out of hand, to give thekraven some support.

LG-LS670 w thekraven ICS linaro alpha 14 + 6/11 patch & Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys - my apologies for not giving everyone a heads up regarding the new Optimus S ROM archives subforums. I promise to get an announcement or sticky up in the morning.

As jstntp said, the archive forums are a new concept we'd been testing over in the Optimus V forums. The idea was to separate ROM's that are actively under development from those that aren't -- in an effort to create less confusion and problems for those who're trying to sift through what still works and what doesn't.

The Kraven is an awesome, well-respected, developer at AC and moving his thread to the Archived forum was not intended to be an insult toward him at all.

It was moved to the archived forums because he made it pretty clear he wasn't going to continue development, and for reasons that I respect. All the drama that was circulating around his leaving accelerated the move process.

Those of you who know me personally, know that the Optimus forums are top priority for me. In fact, moving the list of ROM threads that jstnp sent me was really surreal. First thing that went through my mind was that I'd just moved about 2 million dollars worth of work, but as I started down the list I relived a lot of great memories I've seen in my time here.

Without a doubt, we have the strongest Optimus dev community than any other forum, and I'm extremely proud of them.

Cory

P.S. - There is no way in hell I am going to wipe out the Optimus S forum, as suggested above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza