Market issues on Reborn Rom - dalvik2dev mod?

ravibhau

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a rooted phone with Xionia custom recovery and Reborn Rom. This combo far better than stock.

But I have been facing problems updating apps using Google Play as well as the old Marketplace. After some reading, i have realized that this has to do with the dalvik cache folder getting too big.And since this is part of the cache folder in Reborn it affects the ability to install or even update apps.

I have considered the Data2ext mod but am not sure if it's the right approach especially after reading jstntp's posts regarding this mod.

The dalvik2dev mod looks like a reasonable solution. Will this work with Reborn? If not, is there a similar mod available for Reborn. I am pretty happy with the way Reborn works and do not want to disturb my current setup. But I sorely need a solution for my market problems.

Appreciate any help from Droid gurus.

Thanks.

jonny5449

AC Citizen
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:
Reactions: ravibhau

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Reborn moved dalvik to cache differently than we did for zvh/zvj so I don't think the dalvik2dev mod will work, BUT just for fun why don't you make a recovery backup and give it a try. Be sure to wipe cache and dalvik-cache after flashing the mod. If it does not work, restore the backup........ no harm done.

ravibhau

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Reborn moved dalvik to cache differently than we did for zvh/zvj so I don't think the dalvik2dev mod will work, BUT just for fun why don't you make a recovery backup and give it a try. Be sure to wipe cache and dalvik-cache after flashing the mod. If it does not work, restore the backup........ no harm done.

This is a dumb question but I need to ask it since I have never done a backup and restore using Xionia. Do I need to also backup all my apps using Titanium backup or does the NAND backup take care of that too?

Also, how do I know this worked? I.e. other than the Market updates working is there any other way to check if the mod worked?

Thanks for your help.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a rooted phone with Xionia custom recovery and Reborn Rom. This combo far better than stock.

But I have been facing problems updating apps using Google Play as well as the old Marketplace. After some reading, i have realized that this has to do with the dalvik cache folder getting too big.And since this is part of the cache folder in Reborn it affects the ability to install or even update apps.

I have considered the Data2ext mod but am not sure if it's the right approach especially after reading jstntp's posts regarding this mod.

The dalvik2dev mod looks like a reasonable solution. Will this work with Reborn? If not, is there a similar mod available for Reborn. I am pretty happy with the way Reborn works and do not want to disturb my current setup. But I sorely need a solution for my market problems.

Appreciate any help from Droid gurus.

Thanks.

That data2ext mod works great! I have been using it for almost 2 years with zero problems (except for user caused errors that is, always messing around with settings) as long you use a good sdcard. The one's that come with phone are crap! Go to Walmart or where ever and get a 8gb card for like $12. Those are better than the ones that came with phone. Or go on tiger direct and get a nice 16gb class 6 card for a few bucks more.
I have ran test after test on the data2ext to try to cause it to malfunction, including removing card with out detaching it first (I don't recommended you trying this unless you know how to recover from crash).
I am also on reborn rom,with the data2ext mod it is always the rom I come back too after trying out other roms.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

jonny5449

AC Citizen
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
That data2ext mod works great! I have been using it for almost 2 years with zero problems (except for user caused errors that is, always messing around with settings) as long you use a good sdcard. The one's that come with phone are crap! Go to Walmart or where ever and get a 8gb card for like $12. Those are better than the ones that came with phone. Or go on tiger direct and get a nice 16gb class 6 card for a few bucks more.
I have ran test after test on the data2ext to try to cause it to malfunction, including removing card with out detaching it first (I don't recommended you trying this unless you know how to recover from crash).
I am also on reborn rom,with the data2ext mod it is always the rom I come back too after trying out other roms.

I got 16 gb class 10 for $20 :p like a boss lol

I don't care who u are :p this is an awesome song :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxytyRy-O1k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

deejayadhd

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Good job. Most data2ext failures are due to poor sdcards that go bad. So with class 10 card there should be no problems.

i am by far no expert but i had a class 10 sd card that was horrible with data2ext, lagged like crazy.. recently got a class 6 sandisk card that had reall good random red/write times and it has been awesome, using it on cm7 with m2sd and no lag hat so ever. i read somewheres those class 10 cards are awful on random read/write speeds. just something to consider i guess.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
i am by far no expert but i had a class 10 sd card that was horrible with data2ext, lagged like crazy.. recently got a class 6 sandisk card that had reall good random red/write times and it has been awesome, using it on cm7 with m2sd and no lag hat so ever. i read somewheres those class 10 cards are awful on random read/write speeds. just something to consider i guess.
Quality is just as important here--if not more so--as the alleged rating. The class means naught if not from a quality manufacturer. I've got a Patriot Class 10 that I forked out more than I wanted to get, but it is reliable and it flies! Not sure how much better than a good class six it is though.

One of the easiest upgrades you can do to your device is to sub in a better, larger SD card. No root required, but more appreciated when you do. A MUST if you are doing an ext-SD mod.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Quality is just as important here--if not more so--as the alleged rating. The class means naught if not from a quality manufacturer. I've got a Patriot Class 10 that I forked out more than I wanted to get, but it is reliable and it flies! Not sure how much better than a good class six it is though.

One of the easiest upgrades you can do to your device is to sub in a better, larger SD card. No root required, but more appreciated when you do. A MUST if you are doing an ext-SD mod.

This is so true. A good quality class 4 is better than a cheap class 10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz