Direct Connect Now

highnoteuser

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I keep hearing ads for Sprints new Direct Connect Now app which is supposed to replace the old NexTel style walkie talkie. I have been using Tikl which is sometimes unreliable and was wondering if anyone has found an apk for this that we might be able to use?

jcruckus

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm that this is in the works. They are hoping for a July release, but its probably more like September. Sprint ptt is packets of recorded voice streamed through a specific protocol that is then bridged to the old Nextel network, if you're talking to a Nextel subscriber, so technically any cdma sprint phone will be able to have that feature; no longerrequiring you to choose a nasty ass phone just because you use ptt/direct connect.

Long story short, dont hold your breath. yes its in the works, but there's no release date yet.

I am about to get the Motorola Admiral, which is using the newer tech that they are modding into an app, so perhaps after I root it I can perform a "dump" and post it for a dev to look at and see if they can port it over for other devices. It would require the service to be activated on the device, so I'm not sure how that would work, since the PTT packets are different than regular Data packets and are not transmitted on all networks.

Last edited:

Kyleluvsandroid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
At work we just switched to a sprint phone with sprint direct connect. We switched from nextel because 80% of the towers got shut down in our city and we could hardly use the phone. The new spint direct connect is as bad or worse than the nextel direct connect was the lastg week we had it. Harder to reach people and cuts out more. It doesn't work on roaming either, some areas now only have raoming service. As far as the cell service on the phone, my optimus will have 1/2 to full signal and the sprint phone with direct connect is searching for signal, doesn't happen a lot, but happens. Not sure if the towers just aren't fully upgraded for the new service or what. But the short is, sprint direct connect is not any better than tikl, it still uses data and requires a good data connection to work.

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
At work we just switched to a sprint phone with sprint direct connect. We switched from nextel because 80% of the towers got shut down in our city and we could hardly use the phone. The new spint direct connect is as bad or worse than the nextel direct connect was the lastg week we had it. Harder to reach people and cuts out more. It doesn't work on roaming either, some areas now only have raoming service. As far as the cell service on the phone, my optimus will have 1/2 to full signal and the sprint phone with direct connect is searching for signal, doesn't happen a lot, but happens. Not sure if the towers just aren't fully upgraded for the new service or what. But the short is, sprint direct connect is not any better than tikl, it still uses data and requires a good data connection to work.

Can you upload the apk?

adamhos

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
DC uses the 4g net, and yes it is junk, it is faster to use the phone than DC, we have been issued kyocera duraxt also junk. Junk + junk=crap

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

grabejr

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I have a Sprint direct contact phone for work. It's just a flip phone but the executive level managers have android direct connect phones from Sprint. Same button on the side.

I'm guessing someone will reverse engineer an app for it.

grabejr

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
DC uses the 4g net, and yes it is junk, it is faster to use the phone than DC, we have been issued kyocera duraxt also junk. Junk + junk=crap

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Same phone we all got. After you set the damn thing up right it works but it keeps turning off the dc speaker and the dc button is way too sensitive. We're all beeping each other every time someone leans the wrong way...

Never thought I'd say I miss my old Nextel...

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that is funny.
no.jpg