[How-To] Use GooManager as a replacement for ROM Manager

ShadowEO

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Figured that since we've been having more than a couple people with ROM Manager problems, I'd post a how-to about using GooManager instead.

Like the rest of the flashing threads, I reiterate...
If you have ROM Manager installed, Remove it now. Our phone is not supported and it bricks our handsets.

How to Flash a ROM with GooManager (Already on SD Card):

1. Start GooManager
  2. Press Flash ROMs
  3. If this is your first time using GooManager, click "I already have a supported recovery" (Or something to that extent, DO NOT hit Install Open Recovery Script)
  4. Press Add ZIp from another location
  5. Browse to your ZIP
  6. Press Order & Flash Selected
  7. Order your Zips (ROM First, Kernel Patches, GApps, then anything extra)
  8. If you want to create a backup, check Create Backup. Same with wiping cache/dalvik cache partition.
  9. Press Flash
  10. PROFIT!!!

How to Flash a ROM with GooManager (Already on SD Card):
You need to know the Dev's Goo.im name to find ROMs currently. For instance:
  • thekraven's CM9 - /devs/thekraven/
  • Team Hydro (Cannibal Recovery is in there too) - /devs/TeamHydro
  • Quattrimus Nightly - /devs/tdm/roms/quattrimus/LS670/

(Only pick the LS670 versions for the Optimus S, VM670 for Optimus V, etc.)

1. Open GooManager
  2. Tap Browse all files
  3. tap devs
  4. Find the developer you want to download ROMs from (using the list above)
  5. Find the ROM for your device (such as alpha16d-cm9-20120626-kraven-LS670.zip) and tap it.
  6. Once the download completes, go back to the main menu of GooManager and hit Flash ROMs.
  7. It will appear in the list of ZIPs to flash, make sure it's checked along with any addons (Kernel, GApps, etc)
  8. Press Order & Flash
  9. Choose the order of installation for the ZIPs (Recommended order: ROM, Kernel Patches, GApps, extras like SD-Ext mods)
  10. Check Wipe cache/dalvik cache partition (and Create Backup if you want it to create a nandroid for you)
  11. Hit Flash
  12. Follow the on-screen prompts.
  13. PROFIT!!!

I hope this helps people and helps GooManager eventually become the defacto replacement for ROM Manager for our handset :3

Lolanerd

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Great job shadow

One can only hope but I doubt it. They obviously don't look at the stickies or they'd know not to use rom manager in the first place, so chances are high they won't see this either.

What we should do is keep this in the normal threads section and keep bumping so that its always one of the first things that people will see :D

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I think Sfhub should change the text leading to the DL link for his root tool to something like "I agree that the first thing I will do once I am rooted will not be to install ROM Manager" (a play off of Team Hydro's "I agree" download link for HR or COT)

ShadowEO

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys, I was kinda bored and figured "well, I don't see a GooManager guide, so I'll write one." :)

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Uhhh Isn't Cannibal Open Touch recovery the only recovery that can use GooManager??

Uhhh is there a reason you would use any other recovery?:p
COT supports amend and edify, has themes, partial backups, touch controls that don't extend all the way to the top of the screen (so you don't put the phone face down and accidently clear your data, wipe your sd card, cause us to go back into an economic recession, nuke your mother-in-law, etc. etc.) and a bunch of other goodies. If you haven't, you really should check out Drew's latest masterpiece. ;)

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
...so you don't... cause us to go back into an economic recession,
Can't put us back where we already are.
...nuke your mother-in-law...
I didn't know a recovery could do that! Feature request!

Goo Manager will be great once they figure out how to identify our device and compatible ROM's, deconflict with baseband, etc. It is nice to be able to download a ROM or recovery update directly to the phone so easily. Eventually, OTAs will be a good thing. :)

ShadowEO

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Even with an alternate recovery you can still download roms via goo manager and reboot to recovery than flash like normal.

True, but it's much more seamless with Cannibal.

Can't put us back where we already are.I didn't know a recovery could do that! Feature request!

Goo Manager will be great once they figure out how to identify our device and compatible ROM's, deconflict with baseband, etc. It is nice to be able to download a ROM or recovery update directly to the phone so easily. Eventually, OTAs will be a good thing. :)

Identifying the device doesn't seem to be the hard part, Goo.IM has a Gooify script that can be run at build or on a built rom to insert the required build properties to do it.

Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gooify

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Identifying the device doesn't seem to be the hard part, Goo.IM has a Gooify script that can be run at build or on a built rom to insert the required build properties to do it.

Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gooify

While that's true there's a bit of an issue anyway; we have 5? devices with the board name thunderc and at least 2 variations of repos for them as being thunderc or thunderc_LS670 (etc)

Being that goo uses the board name to identify compatible roms the above can cause users to see Roms for the wrong thunderc device or not any at all depending on which board they have set. At this point it's no longer a matter of what the recovery can do, what we need is consistency in naming the thunderc devices.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
While that's true there's a bit of an issue anyway; we have 5? devices with the board name thunderc and at least 2 variations of repos for them as being thunderc or thunderc_LS670 (etc)

Being that goo uses the board name to identify compatible roms the above can cause users to see Roms for the wrong thunderc device or not any at all depending on which board they have set. At this point it's no longer a matter of what the recovery can do, what we need is consistency in naming the thunderc devices.

Agreed. LG chose "thunderc" for all of the CDMA Optimus One variants (S, V, C, M) and "thunderg" for all GSM Optimus Ones. Goo Manager is going to run into much of the same issues as ROM Manager in that people (esp. newcomers) will mistakenly download say an Optimus M ROM to their Optimus S, thinking that the word "Optimus" means it's compatible. In the case of the V and S, ROMs are mostly interchangeable (at least in a minimal sense of the term) so it's not as big a deal, but it could still throw off folks who aren't as knowledgeable on the subject.

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know where the Quattrimus ROM went? I can't find the dev/tdm/ folder.

From what I understand, something stupid happened with Goo's servers a while back causing devs to lose their files and I don't think he's re-uploaded his stuff yet...

You might try looking in the Quattrimus thread and see what's up.

Sent from my SPH-D710

Reactions: nikc4

MountainX

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Originally Posted by epidenimus
Goo Manager will be great once they figure out how to identify our device and compatible ROMs, deconflict with baseband, etc. It is nice to be able to download a ROM or recovery update directly to the phone so easily. Eventually, OTAs will be a good thing.

Can't Cyanogenmod already do that? I've been using CM 10 & 10.1 and I love the easy updates. Does GooManager currently do anything that Cyanogenmod can't do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance