Google Now on ICS

BobbyJenks

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Credit to SilentStormer on XDA. Go thank him.

ARMv6 Installation Instructions:

1.) Rename GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk in system/app to GoogleQuickSearchBox.bak

2.) Rename the "Velvet-Thes0o-5.apk" that you downloaded ( Velvet-theos0o-5.apk ) to: "GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk"

3.) Place the renamed .apk in the system/app folder and set the permissions to rw-r-r

4.) Reboot and enjoy!

OR

1.) Rename GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk in system/app to GoogleQuickSearchBox.bak

2.) Try to install the downloaded .apk off your sd just like any other .apk

OR

1.) Flash this .zip through recovery -- AOSP ONLY

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Voice Instructions:

1.) Download the "Voice Search for Google Now!" app from the download link below

2.) Either open up the app, hold down search or tap on the dedicated widget that comes with the app to launch the voice search

3.) The app will use ICS's voice-to-text engine to get your answer, and then enter it into the Google Now v5 app from before. All you have to do is hit enter and then congrats, you've got working voice search!

4.) Check back at Jonny_G's thread for the latest information and updates.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1770100

Downloads:
APK Download: Velvet-theos0o-5.apk
ZIP Download: http://mnmcodeworks.googlecode.com/files/Google Now v5.zip - AOSP ONLY
Voice App Download: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11388416/GoogleNowVoiceSearch.apk

Working:
-It boots!
-searching through the text-box works
-location services work
-info cards work
-notifications work without modifying build.prop
-Voice now works through Jonny_G's app

Not working:
-Can't exit the app using the back button on the Google Now 'Cards' screen
-Full Jelly Bean voice search

prowlingfox

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Not working for me. I just get "sorry, I do not understand" and a blank gray box. It does not appear to be detecting sound.

Quattrimus ICS AOKP beta 2.

Thraeryn

DEVASTATOR
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Not working for me. I just get "sorry, I do not understand" and a blank gray box. It does not appear to be detecting sound.

Quattrimus ICS AOKP beta 2.

Gotta remove the Quattrimus Voice Search app, download the one from Google Play Market, and then install the Voice Search for Google Now! app. Once you've done those things, tap the microphone on the search bar on your homescreen, or open the Voice Search for Google Now app. The VSfGN app will ask which app it should use for input; select the familiar ol' Voice Search you just installed from the app market.

tl;dr: The app linked in first post can't take mic input unless you already removed the Quattrimus/CAI voice search and replaced it with the market version.

Also important to note: the mic icon in the Google Now app's search bar calls a function in the Google Now app. If you're in the Google Now app, checking out your cards and whatnot, tapping the search bar's mic button will not call out to the other app, which means it won't work.

Thraeryn

DEVASTATOR
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I did this a couple weeks ago. It doesn't look like it's changed much in a couple weeks.

There were some improvements regarding auto-input of voice searches, doing away with the pointless redraw/refresh, but accounts say that they seem to work only sketchily on ARM6 architecture. For our phones, yeah, things remain pretty static.

andrewnelson23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Well shucks. that's fine though. I bet it'll take a new kernel to get it really working. but that's still far off I think. Our dev's haven't successfully built and booted jb yet, all we have is ports. I'm sure once they get it booting and everything running smoothly, they'll think about google now :)

Thraeryn

DEVASTATOR
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
What there is now is honestly kinda spiffy. I'm going to give some of the newer APKs a shot in the morning after a backup, see if any of them work, what shine they add to the picture. If I find a good one, I'll let folks know.

Thraeryn

DEVASTATOR
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
so is this worth the trouble to try Google Now in our ICS Roms?

Is it fully functionally?

Very little trouble, actually, if you use the steps posted above. The short form:
  1. Make sure you're using Voice Search from the Market, not the version that comes with the Quattrimus or CAI roms.
  2. Download the Velvet and Voice Search for Google Now apks to your sd card.
  3. Rename GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk in your /system/app folder, then replace it with the Velvet apk. (Rename, set correct permissions.)
  4. Install the Voice Search for Google Now apk the usual way you side-load apps on your sd card.
  5. Reboot.

It's not the completely polished, amazing thing it is on native JB roms. It IS a reliable voice search. It also IS its own app that will regularly show you useful information on "cards" based on your typical searches, your current location, the upcoming events on your Google Calendar, etc. For example, when I stopped by my local sandwich shop to pick up dinner recently, it showed me a reminder card about an event scheduled in an hour, including a small map and a link to turn on Navigation and get me to the venue. Also showed me info on bus routes home since I have "Home" saved as a location on Google Maps.

It's not Siri. It's probably a lot closer to the polished Siri-competitor in some of the more recent versions . . . that might not run too well on ARM6 phones. I plan to try some of them out soon.

ShadowEO

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
It's great to have the actual tutorial posted here. I posted a link to it in the CM10 thread but never got around to packaging it with a slimmed GApps (I'm still planning it though, just trying to get ParanoidAndroid CM10 out there for us.

Reactions: jonny5449

Thraeryn

DEVASTATOR
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Tried flashing one of the smaller zips for the ARM7 versions. Had to uninstall a lot of system apps to get close to the 20 megs needed on the system partition. Flashed, booted, app didn't work. So, stick with the original directions for now.

ShadowEO

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Tried flashing one of the smaller zips for the ARM7 versions. Had to uninstall a lot of system apps to get close to the 20 megs needed on the system partition. Flashed, booted, app didn't work. So, stick with the original directions for now.

I tried too, I knew it was in vain but wth right? It was only the voice search libs and srec.

williek113

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It didnt work. I think I did the permissions part wrong, which thing do I set the permissions for? The .apk? The folder? The .bak?

Edit: Nvm I think I just said cancel instead of ok... but I got it to work and it just says "didnt catch that"

Edit #2: Ok I just saw I had to download that other thing, now it says "sorry, I didn't understand that"
Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Thraeryn

DEVASTATOR
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
It didnt work. I think I did the permissions part wrong, which thing do I set the permissions for? The .apk? The folder? The .bak?

Edit: Nvm I think I just said cancel instead of ok... but I got it to work and it just says "didnt catch that"

Edit #2: Ok I just saw I had to download that other thing, now it says "sorry, I didn't understand that"

Change permissions on the new, renamed to "GoogleQuickSearchBox" apk to rw-r--r--.

Uninstall the "Voice Search" system app that came with your ROM using Titanium Backup or another similar app. Install the "Voice Search" app authored by Google, available in the Play Store.

Install the "Voice Search for Google Now" app linked above. Don't put it in system and try to change permissions or anything; install it like any other app that is backed up on your SD card, probably by using a file explorer like ES File Explorer.

Reboot your phone.

Open the "Voice Search for Google Now" app from your app drawer. If it asks you for a default program to use, select "Voice Search", not "Google Search" or anything else.

Never expect that, once you have Google Now open and cards showing on your screen, tapping the microphone in Google Now's search bar will work. It won't. You always have to go out and use "Voice Search for Google Now" to voice search. You can type entries in the search bar once you have Google Now open, but you always have to exit and use "Voice Search for Google Now" to voice search using Google Now. That's why it's called that.

Is this idiot-proof enough? Have I restated everything before even more explicitly, using smaller words, or is there some other thing I have not clarified?

ShadowEO

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
That's because the libraries are for ARMv7, trying to install them causes a crash with voice search which causes the UI to say "Didn't Catch That" or "Sorry, I didn't understand that". Also if you are using this tutorial with the CM10 builds we have, Voice search won't work even with the "Voice Search for Google Now" APK since we don't have a working microphone on those builds.

prowlingfox

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Change permissions on the new, renamed to "GoogleQuickSearchBox" apk to rw-r--r--.

Uninstall the "Voice Search" system app that came with your ROM using Titanium Backup or another similar app. Install the "Voice Search" app authored by Google, available in the Play Store.

Install the "Voice Search for Google Now" app linked above. Don't put it in system and try to change permissions or anything; install it like any other app that is backed up on your SD card, probably by using a file explorer like ES File Explorer.

Reboot your phone.

Open the "Voice Search for Google Now" app from your app drawer. If it asks you for a default program to use, select "Voice Search", not "Google Search" or anything else.

Never expect that, once you have Google Now open and cards showing on your screen, tapping the microphone in Google Now's search bar will work. It won't. You always have to go out and use "Voice Search for Google Now" to voice search. You can type entries in the search bar once you have Google Now open, but you always have to exit and use "Voice Search for Google Now" to voice search using Google Now. That's why it's called that.

Is this idiot-proof enough? Have I restated everything before even more explicitly, using smaller words, or is there some other thing I have not clarified?

So i've been around the ADB block many times, rooted various devices....but for some reason I have never figured out how to change permissions. I know it's a beginner's question, but could somebody help me out?

williek113

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Reboot your phone.

Good enough for me thanks

ShadowEO

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
So i've been around the ADB block many times, rooted various devices....but for some reason I have never figured out how to change permissions. I know it's a beginner's question, but could somebody help me out?

In a root adb shell, chmod 755 /path/to/file

You can also do it with ES File Manager.