Nooby Questions

Embluss

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Straight to the point: my phone is running low on memory, slowing down, and generally making me wish my upgrade was sooner. Can rooting let me do these things WITHOUT flashing a custom ROM?

Specifically, I want to install SBE Privacy Guard, an overclocking app, and remove bloatware (BTW, is there a list of safe-to-remove apps?). So, can I do that without a ROM?

I haven't rooted before, but I've done the research. I just don't follow what makes custom ROMs so important. Help?

jonny5449

AC Citizen
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Ya you can make an SD partition and have apps installed there with apps2ext but highly recommended u flash a rom

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk 2

williek113

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Titanium Backup for deleting bloatware, and if ur comfortable flashing a rom, DO THAT. almost all of them give u massive amounts of extra space for the apps you want. I bought myself a new 16gb sdcard for $20 which was totally worth it. Roms speed up your phone most of the time and flashing kernels (basically the engine to your phone) SIGNIFICANTLY IMPROVE PERFORMANCE. Sprint ID, Sprint Zone, Voice Search, Voice Dialer, Maps, Youtube, Email (I think, cause if all ur using is Gmail, who cares?) are some things that you can delete throught Titanium Backup. Titanium Backup is not the only one that u can get, and i wouldnt get it if ur not on a custom rom cause its a pretty large app if ur on the stock rom. If u want to overclock, i suggest using SetCPU, no whatever the one u mentioned was. Also (maybe this is just me) I wouldnt overclock cause itll drain ur battery REALLY FAST, I get paranoid about my battery a lot so... haha. And yet I do overclock my phone cause I bought a 3500mAh battery, which thickens the phone quite a bit, but its totally worth it. The battery that the phone comes with is 1500mAh just to give u a comparison. Ah custom roms... they give u millions of unnecessary shortcuts that u love anyway and use all the time. they speed up your phone in some cases (ics, or when kernels are put in with the rom). They usually uninstall most of the bloatware u hate and look GORGEOUS. Yet still I cant wait for my upgrade cause i hate the size of this phone (even without the 3500mAh battery), its pretty slow even with all the overclocking, and even thought theyre still all awesome and the people that dedicate themselves to them are amazing, there arent very many roms for this phone compared to lets say the Galaxy Nexus

Helpful? haha ik i wrote a lot, thats most of what ik about rooting, roms and hacks :)

duffieldj1

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Straight to the point: my phone is running low on memory, slowing down, and generally making me wish my upgrade was sooner. Can rooting let me do these things WITHOUT flashing a custom ROM?

Specifically, I want to install SBE Privacy Guard, an overclocking app, and remove bloatware (BTW, is there a list of safe-to-remove apps?). So, can I do that without a ROM?

I haven't rooted before, but I've done the research. I just don't follow what makes custom ROMs so important. Help?

The best thing to do to get a speed increase is to install a custom rom because they have built-in performance enhancing features, plus the kernel is better and will allow a better overclock and also I dont even know if the stock kernel is overclockable

williek113

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The best thing to do to get a speed increase is to install a custom rom because they have built-in performance enhancing features, plus the kernel is better and will allow a better overclock and also I dont even know if the stock kernel is overclockable

The stock kernel ends at 600, but u can make it stay at 600 all the time so its always fast, but others go to 846 i think

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
A note on overclocking:

Start low and work your way up. And do NOT select the "Set at Boot" option until you know it's stable.

Some people can overclock to 846. Some cannot. I can overclock to 748, but it reboots if I play a long video. I run stable at 729.

If you select the "Start on Boot" option and you overclock to a point where you insta-boot, then you've just created a self-made, self-sustaining bootloop.

stevek216

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
A note on overclocking:

Start low and work your way up. And do NOT select the "Set at Boot" option until you know it's stable.

Some people can overclock to 846. Some cannot. I can overclock to 748, but it reboots if I play a long video. I run stable at 729.

If you select the "Start on Boot" option and you overclock to a point where you insta-boot, then you've just created a self-made, self-sustaining bootloop.

I actually think there's a built in mechanism to prevent this, at least for sure in no-frills cpu control and possibly in the CyanogenMod performance settings. When the phone reboots because of overclocking too far, no-frills cpu detects an "unclean shutdown" and doesn't do the set on boot thing. Maybe that's a reason to go with no-frills rather than the CM option, though I think I remember unclean shutdowns resetting my values on quattrimus.

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Partition your sdcard with at least 256mb swap space. That totally speed my my backup phone sharp fx plus, and myy phone epic 4g touch.

Sent from my SHARP-ADS1 using Android Central Forums