williek113

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well the Nexus 4 was announced today. WITH 4.2 JELY BEAN!! So... someone was going to ask this... are we gonna see some 4.2 action on our optimus s?

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Not reliably. The source code for JB has been out for, what, 8mos? There's an issue with gpu drivers. Qualcomm isn't releasing drivers for our chipsets (adreno 200) for anything beyond gingerbread. This is why we don't have hardware rendering on ICS.

williek113

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Not reliably. The source code for JB has been out for, what, 8mos? There's an issue with gpu drivers. Qualcomm isn't releasing drivers for our chipsets (adreno 200) for anything beyond gingerbread. This is why we don't have hardware rendering on ICS.

Hardware rendering?

gingerc76

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
In other words, the lg optimus s will probably just stick with gingerbread since it's a low end phone which I can't wait to get rid of :D

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Anything is possible, but the point about the graphics is fair. And then comes the limited internal storage and lack of ARMv6 support in Jelly Bean...

EDIT: Not sure what is up with abandoning naming conventions.

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
In other words, the lg optimus s will probably just stick with gingerbread since it's a low end phone which I can't wait to get rid of :D

To be perfectly honest, the OptiS has been a fantastic little phone. I'm currently running Oxy3.0/AOSP 4.0.4 (ICS) on a TWRP 2.2.2.1 recovery.

Enzomatrx

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I know I'll be ditching the OptiS in February when I get my discount again; and will end up with a 4G (probably Nexus-based) device while upgrading to the $50 SERO Premium plan (on the $40 now with the OptiS; 4G requires the $10 extra).

But for $40 a month on SERO with unlimited everything basically (500 minutes for cellphone -> land line; rest is unlimited [mobile to mobile, data, text, etc]) and the community surrounding this phone it was done far more than it ever should have been able to do.

I haven't had much on it that I go "oh i can't do XXX because i don't have super power android phone #4031"; but I know the Arm6 is done for accelerated applications, and those are only to get more prevalent.

When I move up in phones, this will definitely become the "iPod Touch" of old phones for me. Considering I have a drawer with a Cingular 3125, Treo 700wx, Treo Pro that -- at best -- have served to be a webcam/security camera [Treo Pro] -- I'm looking forward to having a standalone Android device occupying space here.

I do wish Qualcomm would just stfu and release the drivers; people have proven to them that they can do it because of similar hardware, etc. Qualcomm drivers would definitely extend the life of this guy a little more; TBH I never thought I would need Flash as much as I do, but every day on the commute home from work I just load up streaming traffic cameras via the web browser to determine my route.

I can't do that on the excellent ICS Roms for the OptiS and that's the only thing stopping me from switching out HydroRom as my daily driver.

koeylondon

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Has TheKraven's latest build been tested for you? It seems to have YouTubeHQ fixed through new drivers which may fix other problems for you. Worth testing.

Enzomatrx

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Has TheKraven's latest build been tested for you? It seems to have YouTubeHQ fixed through new drivers which may fix other problems for you. Worth testing.

The only problem is there's still no Flash on ICS for Arm6. kraven's done an amazing job with his ICS port; it was butter smooth. I'm always limited by one minor thing (HTC_IME keyboard, recovery option on power menu, etc)

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
The only problem is there's still no Flash on ICS for Arm6. kraven's done an amazing job with his ICS port; it was butter smooth. I'm always limited by one minor thing (HTC_IME keyboard, recovery option on power menu, etc)

Hey I got the HTC_IME keyboard to work I had to turn off the text prediction.

gingerc76

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
To be perfectly honest, the OptiS has been a fantastic little phone. I'm currently running Oxy3.0/AOSP 4.0.4 (ICS) on a TWRP 2.2.2.1 recovery.

It's a low end phone running on 3g. The battery sucks on this thing. I was offered this phone because I was a noob to the Android phones so was offered this eh so so phone. It may be nifty but it's time to move up :)

Axe

May 19, 2010
Visit site
It's a low end phone running on 3g. The battery sucks on this thing. I was offered this phone because I was a noob to the Android phones so was offered this eh so so phone. It may be nifty but it's time to move up :)

The battery probably sucks for typical use scenarios. However, on Reborn ROM, I've set the screen at 25% brightness, the cpu between 245 & 600, the maps & navigation off unless in use, light text and talk, airplane mode nights...70-90 hours a charge.

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey, Just because you dislike it, don't get rid of it! It serves as an excellent backup phone, as well as testing that app that you think just might be malware (don't log into google account, don't do anything with data), so the app has nothing to steal. And quite possibly it's best feature, whenever something about my evo is annoying the crap out of me (doesn't happen often), I look at my Opti that's thicker without a case than my evo is with one, and i remember how my smartphone experience used to be (I had the top right corner of the opti's screen die on me, and as that's where ICS+ puts it's settings button, I got annoyed a lot).

gingerc76

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I never said I disliked it. All I'm saying it can't go past gingerbread unless rooted and have an ics rom besides the op was asking about could this phone handle jellybean upgrade. It's a great phone but not the best that's for sure :)

Sent from my LG-LS670 oh hush

williek113

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Everything said in this forum is all completely true, and maybe its just me, but I kinda want to at least try out 4.2 to see what its like. I'd never expect it to be a daily driver of any sorts. One of my friends recently got the Nexus 4 and I JUST NEED TO TRY OUT 4.2

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Everytime a new Android OS drops. They say it can't be done.

Everytime it get ported/coded. Where's drewwalton (beezy and all the other great devs) at when you need him? :p