[ROM][MOD][THEME] Bean_Whiz-CM10 Updated 05/02/2014

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM][MOD][THEME] Bean_Whiz-CM10 Updated 10/14/2013

I'm getting a '(bad)' notice when attempting to install the rom in recovery.. any ideas?
Using VM670NH_recovery.img, I have a gb rom on here now, so this is my first attempt at switching roms. Very inexperienced. Any help is greatly appreciated
Did you follow the instructions that I linked to in the first post? Did you check the MD5 sum of the downloaded ROM.zip and Gapps.zip?

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Kept happening to me too, although, if i would reboot from titanium backup, everything was fine. I love this rom, but had to give up on it because of very poor 3g, i don't have wifi, so it broke the deal, but if ever a 3g fix comes about, i'd jump right back to this rom as my daily.
Try this one:
Bean_Whiz-CM10.v2.2.2CX3GPS

EDIT: For those that try this version:
Could you please let me know if it improved the 3G and GPS, and by how much.
Thanks.

Last edited:

tomwrn8

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the reply. I read through everything you mentioned. As for updating apps, that's not an issue b'c i dont even get far enough to put apps on. after a clean install, i notice that the phone won't charge and stop there.

I always format the boot, cache, data and system (under mounts/storage), but hesitate on the SD ext b/c i'm afraid that it will erase the roms on the SD.

My SD card is formatted with three partitions: Data, Apps and swap. Which of those is deleted when i format sd-ext? Which is visible to Windows (where i drop files onto the card)? I made the mistake before of formatting the card and no longer having a backup or rom to restore from.

I just noticed that when I "wipe data/factory reset" - which i always do, it formats data,cache,system and sd-ext. do i still need to manually do it under mounts and storage, or is that redundant?
As for the non-charging issue, could it be the kernel to blame? Can I flash a new one with the new rom? I'm not sure how that works.

Thanks for your continued assistance. Tom

Last edited:

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

There is only one other thing that could consistantly cause these problems, but only on certain ROMs.
Your SD card has some corruption.
Transfer all data to your computer. After done go to: Start/Computer. Right click the SD card. Select to format. Format to default settings.
When done, put SD card into phone and mount it if it doesn't auto mount. Reboot phone. Umount SD card and put into computer. Transfer data back to SD card. Put back into phone.
Flash a fresh ROM and Gapps after wiping everything but the SD card.
Question: Which ClockworkMod recovery are you using, the touch screen version? If so I would still select all the wipe options on the main screen, then go to advanced and wipe the dalvik cahe, then go to mounts and storage and make sure all partitions are unmounted (I noticed this with my touch screen CWM) and unmount any partitions that are mounted. Format everything (even the SD ext) but the SD card.

EDIT: Be sure to use the Slim_Gapps2-oldvoicesearch.zip.

Last edited:

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

i found other users with the same non-charging issue happening only with roms that are 4.0 or newer.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...rom-alpha-quattrimus-ics-296.html#post1888746
Sounds like a change in build code on the newer builds that doesn't match up with the phones hardware. anyone have ideas?

This is why I thought it would be worth it to try bigsupersquid's 3.0.8 kernel. It may not fix it but it's worth a shot. The charge code had to be modified to work with that kernel.

Tapatalk'n Squid style! Android 4.2.2 JBC on my VM670 running LS670ZVJ firmware

tomwrn8

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

AndyOpie150 - thanks for the reply. I have done a clean format of SD with fresh partitions before flashing roms with no improvement. But I haven't done all the steps you listed, so i can try that. I am running CWM Recovery 4.0.1.5 its not touchscreen.

thewraith420 - I agree. how would i use his kernel? just flash it on top of my current rom?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

AndyOpie150 - thanks for the reply. I have done a clean format of SD with fresh partitions before flashing roms with no improvement. But I haven't done all the steps you listed, so i can try that. I am running CWM Recovery 4.0.1.5 its not touchscreen.

thewraith420 - I agree. how would i use his kernel? just flash it on top of my current rom?

yes, and format /cache and dalvik-cache
if it bootloops flash the removecharger.zip as well. I don't remember if the incorporated removecharger fix in the kernel zip worked or not.

Brantheman22

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Did you follow the instructions that I linked to in the first post? Did you check the MD5 sum of the downloaded ROM.zip and Gapps.zip?
I will re read now. Can you explain what to do exactly when you say check the MD5 sum? Ty for your patience

OK. So I reread. Followed the steps. It gives me this when on the step to install the rom.zip. E: cannot open SD/"rom name".zip 'bad'.

Last edited:

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site

Those are apps that you have on the SD card right? Not linked with Link2SD, just moved to the SD.
If this is correct, link them or move them to the internal storage and they will be fine. This ROM doesn't like apps to be just moved to the SD card, you have to link them.

Strange. The original SlimBean didn't have this problem. I'd go get Link2SD from the Play Store, but now the Play Store on my Optimus has stopped working...it starts to load up and then it just crashes without even giving the annoying "Unfortunately, (insert app here) has stopped." error message...though about 20% of the time, it WILL give that error. (Hangouts crashes upon boot, so I'm guessing that this may have something to do with it...)

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

It's seems like you have a bad download. Is your internet conection slow? Are you trying to download with 3G?
Go to CNET Downloads and download a MD5 checker if using Windows to download.
If using phone go to MacDonalds or someplace with free WiFi. Download AFV (Android File Verifier) from the PlayStore.

Make sure the MD5 sum matches before you attempt to flash.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Strange. The original SlimBean didn't have this problem. I'd go get Link2SD from the Play Store, but now the Play Store on my Optimus has stopped working...it starts to load up and then it just crashes without even giving the annoying "Unfortunately, (insert app here) has stopped." error message...though about 20% of the time, it WILL give that error. (Hangouts crashes upon boot, so I'm guessing that this may have something to do with it...)
Just the way it has been once I put all the theme, launcher elements into the ROM. I don't have any reason to just move anything to the SD card. Link2SD actually links your apps, which make them open faster.
I think Link2SD (or something close to it) is the only way to go with this ROM.
You must have at least an 8GB SD card for Link2SD to function properly (this is because you can only use no more than 20% of the actual space available on the SD card for the partition, and Link2SD needs 1-1.5GB partition).

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the reply. I read through everything you mentioned. As for updating apps, that's not an issue b'c i dont even get far enough to put apps on. after a clean install, i notice that the phone won't charge and stop there.

I always format the boot, cache, data and system (under mounts/storage), but hesitate on the SD ext b/c i'm afraid that it will erase the roms on the SD.

My SD card is formatted with three partitions: Data, Apps and swap. Which of those is deleted when i format sd-ext? Which is visible to Windows (where i drop files onto the card)? I made the mistake before of formatting the card and no longer having a backup or rom to restore from.

I just noticed that when I "wipe data/factory reset" - which i always do, it formats data,cache,system and sd-ext. do i still need to manually do it under mounts and storage, or is that redundant?
As for the non-charging issue, could it be the kernel to blame? Can I flash a new one with the new rom? I'm not sure how that works.

Thanks for your continued assistance. Tom
I have not tried this ROM yet, so this is generic advise, but this is how I handle sd card formatting. When you download the ROM, put it on your computer, not the phone. Then, in your recovery, you can completely repartition and reformat your SD card. This solves/precludes many problem - you want to start with a fresh slate. Once you have wiped and formatted everything, you can use the recovery to make the sd card storage available on your computer - in my recovery, it's called "USB-MS toggle". Then, on the computer, you copy the ROM file and the GAPPS file onto the phone's sd card into a directory that you create and name whatever you want - "install", "local", "mystuff", etc. Now you eject the phone from the computer, push the button in recovery to get out of the usb-ms menu, and you can flash your ROM. It's in the directory you copied it to. This phone does not use cache on the sd card, so just create one FAT partition and one EXT partition. Remember that you can always use your recovery boot to get files onto and off your sd card. You can also do a full backup of your phone in the recovery and copy the backups onto your computer using USB-MS, as above.

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site

Just the way it has been once I put all the theme, launcher elements into the ROM. I don't have any reason to just move anything to the SD card. Link2SD actually links your apps, which make them open faster.
I think Link2SD (or something close to it) is the only way to go with this ROM.
You must have at least an 8GB SD card for Link2SD to function properly (this is because you can only use no more than 20% of the actual space available on the SD card for the partition, and Link2SD needs 1-1.5GB partition).

Well, my SD card is 16GB with a 1GB partition, so that shouldn't be a problem. Except Play Store on my Optimus isn't working, so I can't go get it. (And since the phone won't connect to it, trying to go on the internet version and do it from a computer is out as well.)

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Yes and yes.

With my bad memory the only way I can kept track of my updates is to give them a alpha designation on the end.
The C is for the intergrated camera fix, the X is for the xperia keyboard, the 3GPS is for the 3G and GPS fix.
This version is just a test release. If it improves 3G for you considering you lack there of, it should drastically improve everybody's. The GPS fix needs to be tested as well if you can please.

Once I know the 3G and GPS fixes work I'll drop the CX on the actuall release.

tomwrn8

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

yaconsult: thanks for the advice. I will try that the next time i flash a rom. I appreciate you taking the time to explain it.

tomwrn8

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

bigsupersquid: thanks for the instructions. I will do that when i next flash the rom.

Anino4

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site

Has anyone else experienced bad battery ? I close all apps at night and after a 7 hour standby it drops 30 % .

Posted via Android Central App

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site

Has anyone else experienced bad battery ? I close all apps at night and after a 7 hour standby it drops 30 % .

Posted via Android Central App

Gingerbread, Jellybean & Ice Cream Sandwich in general are memory intensive and power intensive. They chew through battery like candy. (My ex has an Optimus G and her battery barely survives the day if she doesn't have her charger on hand...and that runs ICS out the box with an OTA update to JB waiting) Which was why I got into rooting and ROMs to begin with...that update to ZVJ & Gingerbread was pure MURDER on my battery!!!

Depending on what I do, however, I can get anywhere from 2 1/2 to 7 1/2 hours out of a full charge out of my Optimus S...and that's with a battery that's about to need replacing. This has been the case with CM9, CM10, SlimBean, The JBC, and even this. But I've noticed that sometimes, if I just let it sit there in sleep mode, it actually REGAINS some juice. I've had it go from just about dead (like from 5-15%) to around 30-40%...by itself. That said, one thing that should help your energy consumption is to switch your phone to Airplane Mode at night - remember, these things eat up more juice FINDING a signal than actually maintaining it. Unless, of course, you get calls or messages during the night.

AndyOpie150, my device is going BONKERS here...seems like NONE of the GApps want to work!! Play Store crashes outright, Gmail works for a while then crashes, Hangouts crashes outright...I've tried reflashing the SlimBean GApps, but to no avail...don't tell me I'm gonna have to wipe everything and reflash everything AGAIN (meaning having to reinstall everything AGAIN)...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski